Airwolf 5 foot Screen used filming miniature

Oh my! Well, if you did sleep with it, you could just tell people you spent the night with a beautiful lady. ;)

That is indeed a once in a lifetime score. Given the age of the piece, I am very surprised at how good a condition it is in. It sounds like somebody at Universal wanted to keep that thing in good shape after the show went off the air given that they knew how special it was.

BTW, is there any way you could do some color chip research on it? Reason I ask is the Airwolf paintjobs is one of the more elusive ones to pin down, given how Universal seemed to like darkening the footage in post production to give it more of a black coloring. I've heard it is somewhat close to an Anthracite Gray metallic with perhaps a slightly darker clear coat on it, but I have yet to see any good enough pictures to use for color matching.

That is fantastic....she looks stunning!!!! Bet you can't stop grinning from ear to ear!! :)
Can't wait to see more pics, when you put the lady on display.

thanks for the answers to my question.
At movieobjects we would like to publish somme of your pics on our website for french audience. Wold it be possible ?

Any pics that I post here are fair game for anyone to use. Thank you for asking though.

That is mind blowingly awesome! I just looked at the pictures, and automatically started humming the Airwolf theme music....You just can't stop it :D

Heh heh - I know what you mean - I have the airwolf theme set as my ringtone on my cel. haha :)

Damn that is awesome!!! Would it be wrong to ask how much you had to give to acquire such an impressive prop??

It's not wrong to ask - but sorry, I generally don't give out that information. It wasn't cheap I'll tell you that. Many people say that the value of the prop is based on what someone will pay for it. This is purely for my own personal collection. I have no intentions to sell it now or anytime in the near future so it is no longer worth "money" to me it's a "personal' value.

Too bad I still don't have the Borgnine orignal helmet, that would have gone nice with that!

Ah Steve, Indeed that would have been great next to the airwolf. I'm going to try and showcase Stull's replica helmet next to the airwolf. It'll make the display more comprehensive and save some space as well... hopefully.

Thank you all for the wonderful comments - YES, I am grinning ear to ear and I can't stop. I've been trying to watch old episodes of airwolf but my 3 month year old daughter doesn't seem to like it very much. :unsure

Last edited:
Thank you all for the wonderful comments - YES, I am grinning ear to ear and I can't stop. I've been trying to watch old episodes of airwolf but my 3 month year old daughter doesn't seem to like it very much. :unsure

:lol Don't worry, I'm sure she'll grow to like it....my 5 year old daughter loves watching these classic shows with me :)

Oh my! Well, if you did sleep with it, you could just tell people you spent the night with a beautiful lady. ;)

That is indeed a once in a lifetime score. Given the age of the piece, I am very surprised at how good a condition it is in. It sounds like somebody at Universal wanted to keep that thing in good shape after the show went off the air given that they knew how special it was.

BTW, is there any way you could do some color chip research on it? Reason I ask is the Airwolf paintjobs is one of the more elusive ones to pin down, given how Universal seemed to like darkening the footage in post production to give it more of a black coloring. I've heard it is somewhat close to an Anthracite Gray metallic with perhaps a slightly darker clear coat on it, but I have yet to see any good enough pictures to use for color matching.

as much as I would love to chip off paint on the miniature and bring it to the store :unsure- I think it would be easier if I just told you the paint used for airwolf was Dupont Phantom Grey Metallic #5031K I believe they changed the name to Dupont Phantom Grey - Effect but the number is still the same #5031K. Isn't that easier than a color analysis? :):thumbsup

it's impossible to get good pictures to match the actual airwolf - because many scenes were shot in the desert, the paint started to fade and turn a greenish color....and of course the film temperature, post darkening and filters on the cameras..etc. etc. However, thie phantom Grey was the original color

it's impossible to get good pictures to match the actual airwolf - because many scenes were shot in the desert, the paint started to fade and turn a greenish color....and of course the film temperature, post darkening and filters on the cameras..etc. etc. However, thie phantom Grey was the original color

Supposedly, the Lady was originally painted a dark olive drab for the pilot and the first few episodes. She was later painted a charcoal gray because the studio thought that it looked better.

David.

as much as I would love to chip off paint on the miniature and bring it to the store :unsure- I think it would be easier if I just told you the paint used for airwolf was Dupont Phantom Grey Metallic #5031K I believe they changed the name to Dupont Phantom Grey - Effect but the number is still the same #5031K. Isn't that easier than a color analysis? :):thumbsup

Works for me! Besides, knowing that the color tended to fade to a greenish shade explains a lot as well as later on it did seem to have a slightly funky greenish tint to it. :thumbsup

BTW, wasn't that the same color used on the season 1 Airwolf helmets as well?

Supposedly, the Lady was originally painted a dark olive drab for the pilot and the first few episodes. She was later painted a charcoal gray because the studio thought that it looked better.

David.

Works for me! Besides, knowing that the color tended to fade to a greenish shade explains a lot as well as later on it did seem to have a slightly funky greenish tint to it. :thumbsup

BTW, wasn't that the same color used on the season 1 Airwolf helmets as well?

After some googling - Yes, other people have also said what Krel said. The Lady was originally painted a dark olive drab color. This got me thinking... I took Steven Stull's replica helmet and I put it along side the miniature. The helmet color is lighter than the miniature's color. -sigh- In seeing pictures of the airwolf, and the airwolf construction, I really don't see the olive drab color though... see for yourself

Airwolf Full Scale Pictures

So JMChladek, according to my humble knowledge and research I believe that the Lady was painted the phantom grey metallic "eventually". I really dont know if the Lady was painted a different color for the pilot and first few episodes.

The miniatures (at least the one that I have) themselves seem to be painted a grey color - but darker than the phantom grey metallic.

Steven Stull's replica helmet, which is supposedly painted with the exact same phantom grey metallic is based off of a season 2-3 helmet.... so I really can't answer your question regarding a season 1 helmet.

I see what you mean about the "illusive paint scheme" now. Sadly, just because I own the miniature doesn't automatically make me an expert. Hopefully the above helps.

It does indeed help. Of course, the final look of a color can also depend on many factors, such as the primer shade, how much color was layered on, etc. For instance the nose of Airwolf seems to look slightly darker then the body. The probable reason for that is the nose was likely taken off and painted seperately (presumably at the same time the nose scoop and probes were added to it), as tends to be standard practice sometimes with aircraft painting.

I guess I'll just go with a similar metallic on my models and call it good enough. Thanks for the input though. Take good care of that piece as it is quite a nice find. Maybe you can build a miniature lair display for it. ;)

Hi

Just thought I'd drop in here on the subject of Airwolf's paint color, I come from the boards at airwolf.tv and have been a huge fan of the show for a long long time

Airwolf was NEVER painted olive drab. It was 'Phantom Grey' from day one. (Phantom Grey is a mixture of a dark green and pearlescent grey IIRC.) HOWEVER, in the early CBS broadcasts, Airwolf did APPEAR to be a dark green due to the ambiguity of NTSC TV coloration.

There is SOME olive drab on the helicopter, mainly on the insides of the gun pods which, as you can see in the photos posted earlier in the thread, were originally yellow but they were repainted before any filming took place.

The studio soundstage mock-up Airwolf was also painted in Phantom Grey but they didn't do the white stripe or any other details until season 2 because the soundstage had been intended for use in interior cockpit shots only. As far as the exterior goes, it was only seen front-on against a rear-projection screen in the first season, although in 'Mind of the Machine' you do get to see a large portion of teh front of the mock-up (the rest of it is cleverly concealed as it is playing the role of 'the Airwolf simulator'.

Lovely to see the 5ft model in such fantastic condition. For the love of god, don't mess with it or repaint it or anything! BTW do you happen to know if this model is what we refer to as the 'pole flyer'? The 'pole flyer' had a motor in it which powered the main rotors and then had a large pole coming out of the back of the tail that the operator would hold it with. It appears for the first time in the 'Pilot' and there is literally a guy off-camera holding it by the pole and wavering it a bit!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back