Help; Devil May Cry: Nero's Devil Bringer

Starairi

I'm thinking of cosplaying Nero from Devil May Cry (actually have for a long time) and I've been coming up with a way of making his demon hand thing. I'm thinking of doing it with liquid latex, that way it can be flexible and hopefully look like it belongs to my arm... I've bumped into a few problems though. First, what kind of latex to use? The kind used for molds I've been told has to much ammonia to be good for the skin and the kind of latex used for body painting seems a bit "frail", but maybe it's okay to use if you add enough layers?

Another thing; The arm is very thick, thicker than a normal arm. I've researched quite a bit and apparently people use tissue paper to build up areas in the latex. How good is this method? Is there a better one?

If anyone has any experience with liquid latex, I'd be thrilled if you'd give me some advise!

Here's a few pictures of the arm:
http://images2.fanpop.com/images/forum/topics/6000/6127_1256531038687_full.jpg
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/devilmaycry/images/d/d6/Nero0.jpg

Also, I'm planning on buying phosphorescent powder to add to the latex, so it'll glow in the dark... But that hasn't really got anything to do with this, just thought I'd mention it ;P

i would make the scaley parts out of sintra or plastic and the fluorescent blue areas from a horror glove at a halloween store painted fluorescent neon blue

brimst0ne13: Well, to be honest, that sounds like a lot more work than my method... I don't have access to a halloween store, sintra or plastic and fluorecent paint only shows up under blacklight, so that would be meaningless... And I wasn't really asking for a different method anyway, but about some fine details on my own method... ;P

On a different note; I just remembered seeing someone making a teenage mutant ninja turtle costume here on the forum and they where using foam under the latex to create muscles, any opinion on this working for the "ridge" on the arm anyone?

Can't you sculpt the arm ? It would give you way better results and the process, thought a bit long, can be done quit simply. Best thing would have been a foam latex prosthetic over a spandex glove, but I'm not sure if that could be an option for you.

this is a guy that has made this you might try getting in contact with him.. i know him as facing costumes. and it shows his progress on his myspace page here is the link

Facing Costumes | MySpace

he has a lot of great stuff as well
Thanks for the link! I love the detail this guy make on the arm, but it's not quite what I'm looking for... I'm looking to make something that it more fluent, and this was made with two parts. I might take a leaf from his book though, and make a cast of my arm and build the armor onto it with clay, and then latex it... We'll see, it I get some advise on the use of liquid latex.

Can't you sculpt the arm ? It would give you way better results and the process, thought a bit long, can be done quit simply. Best thing would have been a foam latex prosthetic over a spandex glove, but I'm not sure if that could be an option for you.
I'm considering making a sculpt by making a cast of my arm and adding the details in clay, but it's sort of a "steppingstone" I'd rather avoid (trying to make this a cost efficiently as possible.).

Latex has a percentage of ammonia in it, if you want to see if it will react with your skin, take a small bottle and try it on your hand, if it reacts you'll need a molded piece, make a copy of your arm using plaster, sculpt over it the Devil Bringer arm, make a mold out of it (plaster or gesso SHUOULD work) and then pour the latex in it, repeat few times and you'll get the rough arm, like a latex glove, remember to put baby powder in it before releasing the glove or the latex will stick to itself, then I would use an EL sheet or EL strip to light it, but that's just me...

IF the latex will not harm your skin, yes, you can use tissue paper to "bulk" it up a little the arm, that, or foam (the flexible one, the one that is almost like a sponge, or latex foam, sometimes it can be found in mattresses), soak it in liquid latex and put it on your arm, also, foam can be shaped with a hot knife or scissors...

Hope this helps

Latex has a percentage of ammonia in it, if you want to see if it will react with your skin, take a small bottle and try it on your hand, if it reacts you'll need a molded piece, make a copy of your arm using plaster, sculpt over it the Devil Bringer arm, make a mold out of it (plaster or gesso SHUOULD work) and then pour the latex in it, repeat few times and you'll get the rough arm, like a latex glove, remember to put baby powder in it before releasing the glove or the latex will stick to itself, then I would use an EL sheet or EL strip to light it, but that's just me...

IF the latex will not harm your skin, yes, you can use tissue paper to "bulk" it up a little the arm, that, or foam (the flexible one, the one that is almost like a sponge, or latex foam, sometimes it can be found in mattresses), soak it in liquid latex and put it on your arm, also, foam can be shaped with a hot knife or scissors...

Hope this helps
Thank you, very helpful! But couldn't I just put latex over the sculpt directly, instead of making a mold of that again?

And I don't have much experience with EL sheets or EL strips, can they be shaped the way you want them? And are they very flexible?

no, you need a negative mold to pull it out a positive that looks like a fitted glove and avoid the "floppyness" otherwise.

EL sheets can be cut in a lot of shapes and are quite flexible (think at a trasparency sheet or relatively thin cardboard), but with some limitations of course, the important think is to save the positive and negative poles when cutting (should be marked on the edge of the sheet)

But... If I make the glove from a negative mold, then the glove wont actually fit my hand... It'll probably have the perfect shape, but the most important thing to me is that it fits my arm... like a glove. XP

EL sheets do sound interesting, but I can't imagine how it would work in the palm of the hand. Maybe I'll have a small piece on the back of the hand, and then some EL wire in other places, and glow in the dark paint on my palm... XP

Since latex is really flexible it will fit your hand... Well, like a glove!:lol
And will stay snug so you probably don't need to glue the latex glove to your arm, it will just stay there with the friction of the rubber against your skin.

Yes, probably glow in the dark paint would be your best option for the palm of your hand, EL wire would work great for the arm, since it's also more flexible than EL sheet or tape.

Well, I still see the making of a negative mold as an extra step that can be skipped... If I make the latex glove directly onto the cast and simply take it off, then I have a glove, without that step... Of course if won't be as detailed as it could have been, but I think I'll go with cost efficiency... Besides, I'm planning on making the details individually on a silicone mat or something, then adding them to the main glove with more latex. That way I can be really accurate and hopefully making the pieces in clay/whatever won't be necessary... At least I'll test it that way first, if it doesn't work, then I'll probably try doing it the way you are suggesting. I've found some pretty cheap latex on eBay, that's supposed to last a long way.

Yeah, I'm warming up the the idea of EL wire, it's not that expensive either.

You know, clay, alginate and plaster are NOT expensive... We're not talking a four-part silicone fiberglass mold here. But adding a few bucks could improve A LOT the result you'll have in the end. It's up to you to decide which solution fits you most. :)

Hey i dont realy know how im going to make the glowing blue part of the arm but the scayly one i have alredy done atleast the palm part i have done from paper meh.
I made the forms from modeling clay.
I add some pics

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back