River Song's book from Doctor Who

I didn't take any pictures while making the book, but I also didn't make the TARDIS imprint properly, I just carved it into the leather. The way I'll be making the run, which I believe is the same way the original was made, is just a mix of wet molding and leather hi-lite, no burnishing needed, although a tiny bit might happen in the process if the leather dries out too much before I finish. I think to make the process of making book boards easier I might make a mold of the ones I make for my book and pour resin copies for all the other books.

Well, when you make the next batch, pictures would definitely be useful to people that want to try their own hands at making their own, especially in different sizes.

Doing a little research, I think River's journal falls into the size referred to as DuoDecimo (12mo) – a book size approximately 5“ x 7 ¼”

Looking at the bit in "Silence In the Library" were River is reading off times they met there's a really good angle to see the Signatures (page groups) as the torn Spine sags away where the Endsheets join with the Pastedown shows.
vlcsnap2010083118h55m07.png

Basically all that's holding the covers together as the Joints are the parts that are torn. I tried wetting and bending the under parts of the cover boards to simulate the indented Joint area but that didn't work so well on mine. It really can't be done with a slipcover as the Spine and Joints are all that hold a slip cover together. I suppose I could make a really tough part to the Joints behind the Spine and trim the ends to make it partly like the prop though.

Thought I'd make this graphic to show the parts I'm talking about as I understand they are named. I'm not a professional bookbinder, I only play one at home.
bookbinding.jpg

That used to be one of my best reference images, until Birdie's shots of the book on display showed up. Those really shed some light on the details of the book, that's for sure.

Yea, the "hinge" is pretty much the only thing holding the book together, it's pretty well distressed.

That used to be one of my best reference images, until Birdie's shots of the book on display showed up. Those really shed some light on the details of the book, that's for sure.

Yea, the "hinge" is pretty much the only thing holding the book together, it's pretty well distressed.

Well you know, this is a problem that probably has a solution. To achieve a functional, yet badly damaged looking replica, perhaps one could hide say a 2/3 tall really strong backing under the leather where the fabric and leather are distressed away, splitting the exposed 1/3 to 1/6 top and bottom. I wonder if there's a thin rip-stop or flexible Kevlar fabric that could reinforce the joint? Could be they use something like that in the current prop, though I think it's more likely the original prop was just ordinary binding that was distressed.

Anyway, since you live closer to civilization where something like that might be sourced I throw it out there as an idea.

It could be done, but I don't think it's necessary. The spine isn't really an integral part of the book, it pretty much just decorative.

It could be done, but I don't think it's necessary. The spine isn't really an integral part of the book, it pretty much just decorative.

Agreed. My 'prototype' (read crappy, oversized first attempt :lol) has all the weathering, splits etc, and still holds together with the basic binding.

I'm working on a much improved one, should be able to post some pics in the next couple of days.

Just my twopenneth worth, on Fleabay they sell sheets of inkjet printable fabric, it's really thin and if the boards are being made then if soaked in water based glue it skrinks slightly and can be forced into the tardis pattern on the boards, I reckon on Riversong's book covers itll be ideal. its woven and is very, very strong and could be distressed to any degree and wont rip altogether. I'm new here and not sure if i can post the link, but if its OK then I will:)

Just my twopenneth worth, on Fleabay they sell sheets of inkjet printable fabric, it's really thin and if the boards are being made then if soaked in water based glue it skrinks slightly and can be forced into the tardis pattern on the boards, I reckon on Riversong's book covers itll be ideal. its woven and is very, very strong and could be distressed to any degree and wont rip altogether. I'm new here and not sure if i can post the link, but if its OK then I will:)

I wonder how you can print water-soluble and still soak it in water?

I'd love a link if you have one.

I just want to say that as a Doctor Who fan, a retired librarian, and a book lover in general I absolutely love this thread. I would be very interested in getting on a list for replica if anybody decides to do a run of them.

On and off in the back of my mind I've been thinking about the embossing of the River journal covers and it occurred to me today in my garage I have my brother's hydraulic press. I was watching a rerun of American Choppers I recorded at some point on the DVR and those guys have much larger press stamping out fenders and gas tanks and I thought "HEY!"

I could almost hear K9's voice going "YOU HAVE A PRESS." "Yeah, but I need..." "YOU HAVE A PRESS."

If I could get a welder friend to help me say weld a form so the emboss bits where whatever fraction of in inch poking up, then I could just cover a book with a little extra thickness of board, glue on the leather and stamp it in under pressure.

I'm pretty certain this will be some trial and error, I'm trying to find anywhere locally that even has some vinyl leather grained stuff that I could try out on the glue up version I have.

I have to catch up with my friend later today or tomorrow to even find out if it's possible to weld little bits, say triangular rods so a flat side goes down to the form and the vee sides do the embossing. I may not even have to make it out of metal perhaps. I'm totally spit-balling here since I've never tried to emboss something.

If this would work though, River song notebooks, or indeed any embossed design for everyone!

It would sure beat trying to emboss them by hand and then the bookblock and endsheets to attach the rest are glue to the embossed cover and instant River journal.

I guess Risu this is aimed mostly at you, but I'd love any feedback. What do you think?

Last edited:
I think using a machine to emboss them would be a bit needlessly expensive, time consuming, and difficult. I've been doing leather work for a few years now and the actual embossing step is one of the shortest in the overall process. It's pretty much just a few minutes. There's a seller on Etsy that makes generic journals that look kind of like River's, but they're not made the correct way and in my opinion that's the most important thing about the book. It's a nice book with a full binding that's been made completely by hand.

I guess Risu this is aimed mostly at you, but I'd love any feedback. What do you think?

For the River Song book I think I agree with Risu, a hand made look it a little more appropriate... That said there are many books you could make quite handily with a press like that! :D

Here's some pics my first 'serious' attempt. I was rushing to get this done by the end of the weekend, as I'm off to Turkey on hols tomorrow.

Definite room for improvement, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it :wacko

dg116c.jpg

23t5kkw.jpg

hu2azb.jpg

voby2b.jpg

Here's some pics my first 'serious' attempt. I was rushing to get this done by the end of the weekend, as I'm off to Turkey on hols tomorrow.

Definite room for improvement, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it :wacko

AWESOME work Birdie! Is that actually leather?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back