River Song's book from Doctor Who

Hello All!!

New to the forum, but I just made my own replica of River Song's journal as well! 120 pages, tea stained. The cover was made with a combination of bookboard, an old cereal box, bookcloth, and paints (for weathering effect). I'm quite proud of this for my first attempt - planning to make another sometime soon :)

Cheers!

journal.jpg

Excellent job, that may be the best I've seen :)

Did you make the tardis pattern from card, then cover it with the material?

Excellent job, that may be the best I've seen :)

Did you make the tardis pattern from card, then cover it with the material?

Thanks!! Yes, I made the TARDIS pattern from cut up pieces of an old cereal box which I pasted onto the bookboard. That process was the most tedious by far

That's a great version, really impressed. Loving the weathering, absolutely spot on. I had a go at a leather version myself this week. Will have another go aas I don't think the pattern is spot on. Not been brave enough to have a go at weathering yet. Any ideas of what paint to use on leather?

Has anyone tackled the Doctor's version of the journal yet? His appeared much the same as River's with with the exception of what I think was a small Seal of Rassilon on the cover.

This is my attempt. It's pretty hard to get a good look from the episode. I'm hoping it'll turn up again later in the series. The rassilon seal is a metal pin from ebay. I want to have a go at the weeping angels book next.

This is my attempt. It's pretty hard to get a good look from the episode. I'm hoping it'll turn up again later in the series. The rassilon seal is a metal pin from ebay. I want to have a go at the weeping angels book next.

Very nice, but I don't think it's the seal of Rassilon on the cover. It looks to be something more like the Gallifreyan writing seen on the crib in episode 7. It looks like a custom emblem with those circles that have bites out of them as seen on the Smith control room monitor. There's only a few frames at best where you can see them in "The Impossible Astronaut" even. That prop looks like it's over a Moleskin blank journal and made of something more like paper covering. My guess is that it's rushed out prop which is why we didn't get a better look at it.

sCt39.jpg

Last edited:
This might help, found it whilst randomly searching for Who images.
It does appear that it's the seal of Rassilon on the Doc's journal.

tumblr_lk6138OEKf1qgqu6lo1_r1_500.jpg

RJ, your Book of Angels looks great! The first (and I think only) thread that I started here was on this very subject as I wanted to make the exact same book prop. Unfortunately having never attempted anything like this before, I ended up not going anywhere with it and I sort of lost interest after being told that it wasn't a very interesting prop anyway, or words to that effect.

Seeing yours today has kind of rekindled my interest in it. Did you add any text to the inside? Usually it's just gobbledegook, but by all accounts, the text really does relate to the Angels.

Holluba

Thanks Holluba. I really love the book and the episodes it's in. Not really had the time to fill it with writing about weeping angels so it remains blank. Would love to get some pictures of the original prop, but it doesn't seem to be on display having been to Cardiff and the London exhibitions.
Did manage to get my River Song diary signed by Alex Kingston at London comic con last weekend. Really chuffed.
Thanks again, and good luck with your book.
Richard

I'm in two minds now, don't know whether it's the rassilon sealor the Gallifreyan writing. Any who, we might never know for sure. Just finished my 'book of angels'. Have been waiting for the small studs to arrive.
View attachment 57550

Hi ! I would like to do one or two of them, yours are fantastic !! I don't see with what you made them, can you tell me please ? (Excuse me for my english.. it's not my proper language..)

Started this project in June and finally finished it today just in time for my little sister's birthday. Super excited! Didn't want to deal with leather, so I used a blue linen. Foam blocks and a piece of chipboard for the covers.
293381_2150045545678_1082520114_32055544_1588078_n.jpg

I plan to use leather for my next version I think. My mark 1 version uses a tardis blue canvas texture paper I bought from Jo-Ann's.
I'm thinking with a little paint and some washes it'll look pretty close to the screen version.

I've put mine on hold until Saturday so I can see what happens in the next episode so I can add more to the content of the journal.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back