eFX TIE fighter at SDCC

Thanks for posting the additional picture. No replica is going to be 100% perfect. I get that. I was just curious and you have to admit that this is a room full of anal-retentive people. :lol

Well from what i can find online, it IS a case of differences between Hero and Pyro models, NOT a case of just differing details.
I did find a pic of a screen used hatch, bearing 10 centre panels, so clearly, the eFX is fully modeled on a Hero, and Genes hatch, a tad shrunken, and in Pyro guise.

lee

Interesting, Lee! The Vader X 1 should have the hero hatch, so Ill go check some ref of that. Its a little strange that ILM didnt just use the hero details, but cool info nevertheless.

Edit:
kg_lf-archives_x1_-009.jpg
And the EfX matches this one better yes. Good find Lee!

Thank you very much for the update and the great pics.
This replica will rock !!! It is amazing !
In my little opion, it is OK to mention those small differences. It is, what comes with this hobby: To try making or getting the "perfect" replica.
I see no problem in doing both: Looking for differences and still praising this fantastic replica. I am looking forward to it and I am full of anticipating joy !
THANK YOU VERY MUCH and MY HIGHEST COMPLIMENTS to everyone involved !!!!!!

Ok, there is stll one thing that needs to be fixed: The large gap between two of them. But I am sure Vaders Tie will come...

Thanks for posting the additional picture. No replica is going to be 100% perfect. I get that. I was just curious and you have to admit that this is a room full of anal-retentive people. :lol

Soooo retentive Clutch :lol, thing is though, we wouldnt be doing it right, if we didnt spot these kinda things, right?
In any case, ive already stated my point, this, is a BEAUTIFUL model, i want one lol, but all i did, was spot what i thought were Lucasfilm added design changes....and i was wrong, its because the comparison, from Pyro to Hero, isnt the best thing.

lee

Thank you very much for the update and the great pics.
This replica will rock !!! It is amazing !
In my little opion, it is OK to mention those small differences. It is, what comes with this hobby: To try making or getting the "perfect" replica.
I see no problem in doing both: Looking for differences and still praising this fantastic replica. I am looking forward to it and I am full of anticipating joy !
THANK YOU VERY MUCH and MY HIGHEST COMPLIMENTS to everyone involved !!!!!!

Ok, there is stll one thing that needs to be fixed: The large gap between two of them. But I am sure Vaders Tie will come...

Very true Michael, but, i to learned today something from this, there were two sets of patterns made for the TIE yes?
Its something im sure Steve N could clear up, being THE TIE guy.

lee

Hey Lee,If you look at Gene's hatch the center piece with the Hetzer part was replaced.It looks like it was put in a little to much to the rear.If you look in front of the Hetzar piece,there's a little part of the block left that the 8rad part sits on.

If you look between center blocks 5&6 you can see part of a block.

Dave

Hey Lee,If you look at Gene's hatch the center piece with the Hetzer part was replaced.It looks like it was put in a little to much to the rear.If you look in front of the Hetzar piece,there's a little part of the block left that the 8rad part sits on.

If you look between center blocks 5&6 you can see part of a block.

Dave

Hah, Dave your spot on, now i convert the pic to a neg, i can see the join in the plate midway down the hatch, classic. That clears it up, i got that way wrong.
So it just stands at the detail just a bit chunkier and larger decals then, no fish eye. Cheers bud.

lee

:facepalm

PS - I did measure some of the little chips. One was off by about .75mm And one part looked differently. Chalk it up to the difference of my hatch part being a casting (maybe even a pyro casting (which is another step removed from the original)) and the parts on the eFX TIE being derived from actual kit parts.

PPS - the TIE's are back in Bryan's hands now, so I can't do any more comparison photos.........

.75mm. That's like one foot at this scale. :lol

(From a self-confirmed rivet counter).

Nawww, i cant wait to be able to buy one TBH now, again, never pre ordered a completed replica, so anybody had a shipping quote to the UK?
I know i cant pre order, but wondered if i go the waiting list route or hunt one down later?

lee

Internet posts and email often have a way of stripping the true meaning of a message. I think your message is one of jest and you were trying to point out the relative insignificance of the difference? Or not?? Nonetheless, let's get the math correct:

What are these, about 1/24th scale? In the "real" world, that 0.75mm is about 1/30th of an inch. in the "1/24th scale" world, it works out to be just about 0.80 inch. Far, far less than "one foot at this scale."

OK, OK....... let's just stop this. I think we ALL knew there were going to be some differences. After the criticisms leveled against the AT-AT for not using kit parts when available, I think we can all agree that the effort on the TIE has definitely moved the needle from the "casual" collector towards the "anal-retentive rivet-counter". It may not have pegged the meter, but it is definitely in the "red zone" for such things.

I wish we could, one day, replicate these things by having the original on loan, and being allowed to disassemble it, over the course of the entire months long pattern making process. But that isn't going to happen. Personally, I feel that this has set the bar pretty high for those that ARE rivet counters. (I include myself in that group too - proudly. But I'll back off if I feel it represents the subject very well.......)

Regarding the hatch - I think Steve and Barry and I had a discussion about the differences in those little squares on the spine. Whoever tried to "repair" the screen used hatch (it was originally the TOP mount hatch) didn't quite cut the exact part he needed out of the other hatch (the unpainted piece). If you look carefully at it, the details don't quite line up. I think that the "missing" square may be caught up in the misalignment and cut lines.

And here's another irony for you. Jason matched decals from a part that was specifically designed NOT to be seen. For if that part of the hatch was seen, so to would the mount. And that would cause problems in the optical process.

Later,

Gene

Internet posts and email often have a way of stripping the true meaning of a message. I think your message is one of jest and you were trying to point out the relative insignificance of the difference? Or not?? Nonetheless, let's get the math correct:

What are these, about 1/24th scale? In the "real" world, that 0.75mm is about 1/30th of an inch. in the "1/24th scale" world, it works out to be just about 0.80 inch. Far, far less than "one foot at this scale."

Yes I was kidding.

I also was not aware that the hatch shown used to match the paint colour was from a pyro model. I also did not know the pyro detailing was so different from the 'Hero' models.

So apologies for any ignorance on my part.

So, maybe this belongs in another thread, but I don't think Gene's hatch is from a pyro TIE:

efx-tie-fighter-sdcc-tie-hatch-sizecomparison-001-rpf.jpg-112292d1347205535

Do we think the model makers would have taken the time to trim and apply decals to a part of a model that they were preparing to explode?

We know that the hatch came from/with Richard Edlund's "Vader's Wingman", which was an identifiable screen-used hero model. We also know from Gene that someone (Edlund? I forget) decided to patch the hole cut in the hatch, presumably to simplify mounting the model from the top, by taking a "core" from an unpainted hatch and gluing it in place, which accounts for the misalignment in that part.

There were pyro TIE-Fighters, obviously, but what evidence do we have that there were separate patterns and/or molds for hero and pyro TIEs? I could imagine that they might have taken the time and effort to do that for the wings, but what about the ball and arms? Why would the castings for those need to be any different?

Just thinking out loud...

Well, the high quality of finish wouldnt float, purely from the superbly finished Pyro X wing aspect, Red 4 and 12 were almost in Hero trim, and with neatly applied decals!
It could just be this hatch IS a hero, and it HAS been repaired, leading to me noticing those centre plates, clearly i think im wrong on that.
The differences in the window aperture cuts and chunkier detail, i have nothing?

Lee

Did a small comparison pic (against the Vader TIE). The rivets and overall details looks the same IMO. The repaired part sits different and changes the set up slightly. Just my 2 cents, but it looks like its the same.

efx-tie-fighter-sdcc-tieluckor.jpg-112508d1347308309

Did a small comparison pic (against the Vader TIE). The rivets and overall details looks the same IMO. The repaired part sits different and changes the set up slightly. Just my 2 cents, but it looks like its the same.

I agree. Even if they had different masters and molds for heroes and pyros, which again, I doubt except for perhaps for the wings, why would they have different top hatches at all?

Even the pyro X-Wings were built using the hero patterns and molds for the greeblie cluster subassemblies like the rear plates, droid strips, wing-edge dressings and cockpits, as well as the droids, pilots and noses.

So, if there was no Hero, and separate Pyro master, the eFX IS based off Genes now known to be hero hatch, and just off in a few places!
Can anybody post a pic of say, a NiceN hatch to look at?

Maybe an Icons too if poss??

Lee

Insomuch as Gene is posting preview pics (and those of us with one of these on preorder are very happy, indeed, for that - THANKS!) of the EFX replica, I think the EFX replica needs to be evaluated on its own merits.

How many of us (rivet counters) can build a replica that is identical to a screen-used model in every way? I know I can't. The studio model's top hatch was vacformed over a Plastruct ball, layered, then cut out and detailed with kit parts. Getting all those cuts and scribe lines and styrene squares and kit parts applications to match an original prop from every angle....not gonna happen. I think Steve and everyone involved in the EFX effort deserve high praise for bringing this model to market.

Would be great to have Steve chime in, but my understanding is the master for EFX was built from scratch, so there WILL be differences. I guess it all comes down to whether folks want a casting of a scanned ILM model...bleh...or, a clean replica built the same way with actual kit parts. I'll take the latter.

ps. no offense intended to any posters, I know you guys are discussing the possible differences between hero and pyros.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back