eFX TIE fighter at SDCC

Chris, so far I'm loving it. That is by far the most screen accurate TIE modelers have seen to date. From what I have heard, it will be tweaked a bit more prior to production. I believe some last minute details were discovered and will be corrected. It's hard for me to fathom it being any more accurate than it already is. :)

It's looking very good !
Even the color (except the canopy frame) looks accurate.
The Koolshade looks pretty convaincing, would love to see close up of it.

Too bad we cant just buy a body. :)

Man.. cany believe its finally comming together. EFX is really trying to get this one right! Guys this is a prototype.. the Phantom fin on the cockpit grill is not the one used on the final model. Also the wings are stand in as well. This replica has been checked and rechecked against film model reference, and studio insiders for accuracy. We will be finishing the details in the months to come. As it stands now its the most accurate production released model of the TIE ever offered! Getting to work with Bryan at EFX on this one has been a blast!

Thanks for the pics!

Steve

Agreed, this one is so well executed, I may shell out the cash for the finished version. Very nice. Electronics is a nice added touch as well. :)

Dave

I've yet to hear a good explanation for why the X-Wing parts were increased in size. Can we expect this Tie fighter to also be blown up in scale to keep it inline with the X-Wing?

I've yet to hear a good explanation for why the X-Wing parts were increased in size. Can we expect this Tie fighter to also be blown up in scale to keep it inline with the X-Wing?

Why would they keep it in scale? A studio mini has no real world scale, it's a filming tool period.
As for the X wing components, do you really think you would get an explanation..... That's pretty naive.
Again stellar job guys, pretty sexy for a "proto"

Lee

I thought they were accounting for shrinkage and then just messed a few things up...thought I read that somewhere....hmmm....

Technically a studio scale TIE is a little larger in scale then an X-Wing (about 1/16 vs an X-Wing's 1/24 scale). Same scale means nothing as the models are shot with different optical passes anyway and composited together later).

Wow, nice piece. Only thing I can see that would make it more accurate (other then the frame color, which I am sure will be dealt with in the production batch) would be having an X-Wing fighter on its 6. ;) I assume these first ones will be done in ANH style gray(er) shades as opposed to ESB and ROTJ style blue coloring right?

Actually all the TIE's have been the same color blue since the 1977 Star Wars......but the lighting was so much harsher in SW and the cameras weren't as nice. Same color just looked bluer in ESB/ROTJ.

Dave :)

Actually all the TIE's have been the same color blue since the 1977 Star Wars......but the lighting was so much harsher in SW and the cameras weren't as nice. Same color just looked bluer in ESB/ROTJ.

Dave :)

Are you sure about that Dave ? :wacko

I do have pics of an original ANH TIE and of stuff from TESB and ROTJ, and while the TESB and ROTJ have the same satin blue color, the ANH stuff is flat blue gray... I reckon that both were blue, but I really think the TESB/ROTJ stuff is more blue (and the EFX model looks closer to this)....

I havent seen ANH and TESB stuff in the same pics though I cant be 100% affirmative !

Id be more inclined to agree with Dave on this, the Richard Edlund TIE shows the familiar Stormy Sea to my eye, cant now see that they changed hues at all between movies, more a case of lighting and composition.

lee

Well Edlund's TIE is not as blue as what you can see on pics of TESB/ROTJ stuff. For having seen TESB and ROTJ stuff in the flesh, it's very blue, and not flat (ANH models are flat as hell). But I was not speaking of Edlund's TIE in particular, but of some other ANH stuff took in pics recently.

Maybe that's because they're older ?

Colors are very subjective anyway, and in my opnion, they're not the same color.

PS : of course I was not talking on what is seen on screen, it's obivous for anyone that composition and ligthing were different.

I dont know, i recall Gene's pics being very blue, Stormy sea blue, same as the TESB props......opinions vary, but ill not lose sleep over it, life's too short LOL.

lee

Yeah, I've seen Richard's "Vader's Wingman" TIE hatch in person, and it's definitely a stormy sea blue grey -- considerably darker and bluer than what one might expect based on viewing a decent print of ANH.

Having been privy to the painting research conducted for this replica I can assure you that GREAT PAINS have been taken to match the finish found on the original ANH TIE miniatures.

No doubt my friend Gene will soon chime in to elaborate (in excruciating Kozicki-esque detail) on the process by which the color was arrived at.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back