eFX TIE fighter at SDCC

Steve's involvement is long since over for the TIE project. All he did was provide a rough prototype for testing people's interest while they continued to research and build the actual model.

Using this as an opportunity to take a few swipes at Steve won't get you your eFX TIE any sooner.

Again, you guys are fretting over much of nothing.

Last edited:
It takes Hasbro one calendar year to produce a single action figure from concept to production. These guys work on a huge budget and a huge production scale. If it takes 3 years for a tiny company like eFX to bring the TIE to your doorstep, relax, that's how it's done. Most companies just don't tell you all the little glitches they encounter during the creation process. You just get it when you get it. It seems the more they tell us, the more agitated folks around here seem to get. I prefer hearing progress as it comes in personally. I have just learned not to bank on seeing these in a store before the official announcement has been made.

Some of you might try this simple prayer: "Lord give me the motivation to address the things I do have control over, the strength to ignore those things I don't have control over and the wisdom to know the difference between the two."

Dave :)

The point is that I'm done buying things on speculation and a story. No more buying things that aren't ready to ship. That's a lesson learned through experience in buying garage kits. I don't want the drama that comes from multi year waits sometimes. No more direct involvement upfront based on speculation.

Hmm. Well, no offense to Rebelscum, but uber-accurate studio scale replica models and research doesn't really spring to mind when I consider that particular stop on the Interwebs. Primarily, that's just for collectors, no?

As for Mr. Neisen, let's keep in mind that there wouldn't be a licensed replica without his and the efforts of other studio scale technicians. And, as far as I know, he's been waiting along with the rest of us…

Now, as far as EFX offering swag at Rebelscum, certainly, that's their call. Just not sure what that has to do with my deposit.

And Dave, businesses that don't prioritize communication with their customers…well, they frequently just don't survive. I can tell you right now that had there been more frequent updates about the TIE's development (they even have a website for posting just that kind of information for crying out loud), I would have paid a deposit on a Vader helmet. But as it stands, WAY MORE RISK THAN I'M WILLING TO TAKE. And I have a studio scale Galactica kit on the shelves of my shop. If you want my money, you better make some attempt at keeping up with the comms!

I agree, with the pre-order stuff guys. I've stopped doing it altogether. I'd rather use my money when I need it, and not be tied to their schedule. I'm buying all my stuff aftermarket these days. It doesn't cost that much more and I can decide when and where I spend it. :)

The last thing I got on pre-order was the Luke X wing helmet...............it opened my eyes and I won't fall to that again. It's sad that pre-orders are the same as sell outs for eFX, but in a way that's good for eFX, they don't have to sit on quantities of product and lose profits..........they know what they need and they sell it accordingly.

As far as customer service, I couldn't agree more. I haven't tried to pester eFX for anything but if they aren't returning emails and calls, they will ultimately lose in future sales. That's their call. I know I wouldn't deal with them again if I got no satisfaction from customer service. But that's just me.

My point in all this is that there has never been any indication that eFX won't fulfill their orders or refund you if something goes wrong. And there has never been any products that don't seem to meet our expectations. I think that record is pretty solid!

Dave :)

I'm glad to see the update but, like many of you have already stated, I wish they would've done it via an email blast or something like that.

Even though I understand manufacturing delays I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed to learn that the Tie hasn't even started production yet, especially after they told us they had to re-tool one small part on the Tie and it would be released soon... and now we're back to square one?!?! I don't get that.

I have a question though, how expensive is Koolshade? If they spent $85K to build a tool to cast the Koolshade, wouldn't it be cheaper, or at least the same price, for them to use Koolshade itself?!

I don't mind waiting for a product, especially if it's delayed to make it better, however, this starting from scratch delay SUCKS! I'm just very anxious to get this piece.

I'm glad to see the update but, like many of you have already stated, I wish they would've done it via an email blast or something like that.

Even though I understand manufacturing delays I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed to learn that the Tie hasn't even started production yet, especially after they told us they had to re-tool one small part on the Tie and it would be released soon... and now we're back to square one?!?! I don't get that.

I have a question though, how expensive is Koolshade? If they spent $85K to build a tool to cast the Koolshade, wouldn't it be cheaper, or at least the same price, for them to use Koolshade itself?!

I don't mind waiting for a product, especially if it's delayed to make it better, however, this starting from scratch delay SUCKS! I'm just very anxious to get this piece.

The Koolshade is vintage and no longer produced in the same size as the stuff used on the Tie's, the modern stuff is not a close match, well not close enough to look correct.

I do think though that the info filtering through the rebelscum forum doesn't mean no info will be sent out to customers, someone heard it first doesn't mean no-one else will get the info. I'm not taking away from the lack of info by efx but kinda expecting a news letter will follow. I have eaten my words before though & will gladly eat them again.

I do have faith in efx being able to pull off miracles. Silence during development in this business leaves customers uneasy, especially when you've been through a lot of "mishaps" in the past. I'm dealing with a couple of things owed me right now (one for 11 years) and whenever there's communication it helps to understand what's happening. I dislike very much that it's the customer who has to be persistent and relentless in order to attempt to get a result. It leaves everyone feeling "wrong".

Injection molding versus resin sounds like a bigger investment. But if it makes the product awesome, then great for all involved!

I just bought some vintage Koolshade ( which is becoming harder to source) and it was $600, that is enough for 1 set of TIE wing panels! So, I think for them to reproduce real Koolshade it would be cost prohibitive and boost the cost of a TIE well over the 2k mark.

The Koolshade is vintage and no longer produced in the same size as the stuff used on the Tie's, the modern stuff is not a close match, well not close enough to look correct.

I do think though that the info filtering through the rebelscum forum doesn't mean no info will be sent out to customers, someone heard it first doesn't mean no-one else will get the info. I'm not taking away from the lack of info by efx but kinda expecting a news letter will follow. I have eaten my words before though & will gladly eat them again.

Thanks for the clarification, Guy, that makes sense then. :thumbsup

As for the info, you're right... It doesn't mean that they won't send out info to their customers but, it would be nice to get a regular/monthly update to ease the minds of those who get uneasy... like myself. :lol To me, that's just good customer service. It's not that they are completely bad about customer service, they did the right thing with the Vader Legend helmet, but, it's the little things like regular, simple communication that make the biggest difference, IMO.

I just bought some vintage Koolshade ( which is becoming harder to source) and it was $600, that is enough for 1 set of TIE wing panels! So, I think for them to reproduce real Koolshade it would be cost prohibitive and boost the cost of a TIE well over the 2k mark.

WOW, that's just a tad expensive! I had no idea it cost that much so, thanks for letting me know. :thumbsup

An update at last, but still not even an indication on when the ETA for shipping is!

Why is it so many companies forget about the tiny, easy things to do, like mass emails to customers updating them on the products they have laid deposits down on?

They actually posted Q&A Session with Bryan as one of the articles on their website:
Rebelscum.com: eFX Collectibles Midsummer Q&A Session

Not to defend EFX's lack of communication with customers but MR and now EFX have very very strong ties to Rebelscum and the community there. This was part of a Q&A over there and is also a very generous offer from EFX to give away prizes to Scummers who take part. I cant think of any company that does this like MR and EFX did/do.

Its not an update to the people on the wait lists but am sure that will follow. Love em or hate em they are a very generous company that probably doesn't make a lot of money.

They also confirmed that work on Slave 1 will continue now the model is back in the archives and it can be scanned. Very very interesting.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back