eFX TIE fighter at SDCC

Hero Koolshade replacement wings and stars.... coolness I'm still in the TIE buisness!

GF your TIE is super fine!

Steve

hi GF

you maked a great paint job of your hero tie
what mix of color you used for paint it

michel

Here's my Steve Neison Tie build, the color is pretty close maybe mine has a little more blue, but the greeblie and details that Julien pointed out seem more accurate on Steves Tie.

Tie1.jpg

Tie2.jpg

Tie3.jpg

GFollano

Fantastic job GF!

Here's a repost of the out of the can sample test I did using the original hatch -

attachment.php

The Haze Gray is really a damn close match. I took this today with the rest of the tests below -
attachment.php

Getting back to the eFX TIE -

We have to be careful about what we are looking at, simply because different people are posting different photos taken with different cameras and trying to compare color. Unless you have a calibrated monitor and a camera balanced for that monitor, you cannot definitively say - yes, that is the perfect color. And let's face it, that's what we are trying to say here, isn't it?

Two examples of how lighting and camera can affect the perceived color -
attachment.php

attachment.php

I took the above photos of Richard Edlund's TIE before it got sold. The first set was taken at his shop as we were repairing it and getting it ready for the sale. The bottom set was taken at Profiles. Both were taken with the camera in automatic mode. Color fidelity of Canon Point & Shoot aside, you can see the relative differences in the perceived color value.

COLOR TEST PART 2 - (COLOUR TEST for Ralphee :unsure, I guess)
What I did for this latest test was dip some sheet plastic in the same TIE Fighter Base paint that eFX has and compare it to the actual hatch in a variety of lighting and camera settings -
attachment.php

This is a tin of the same paint eFX got for use on the prototype. It's a automotive urethane based lacquer (or something like that) that was custom mixed to match the hatch (as opposed to just choosing a color that came close). The big caveat here is the that the eFX TIE at SDCC is a prototype, so who knows what paint will be used on the actual production versions. Based on past experience, I've been very satisfied with what I've seen and most complaints seem to stem from the variations in weathering. Also, I don't know if the SDCC TIE was primed, how thick (opaque) the paint was etc. So I just dipped a piece of styrene in and let it dry (it has a semi-gloss sheen). It's about as scientific as we can get, and probably waayy more than it deserves. Read the little slates on each photo, but remember you are judging the relative difference (or sameness) in color. Auto means that the camera is doing everything. When I go into manual mode, I can choose from one of the different pre-set selections, and I chose the appropriate one. The daylight one had a couple of different choices.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I feel that any way you look at it, the color we got from the paint shop damn near the actual color. In fact, if anyone says that the color is way off, I'm going to offer them a free set of glasses -
attachment.php

I cannot comment on either the ESB or ROTJ TIEs as I have never seen one of them. Short of seeing one that we know is vintage and has not been retouched, I don't know if we can say for sure if they are all painted the same. Personally, I see huge differences between SW and ESB's TIE color onscreen, and some subtle differences between ESB and ROTJ. I don't think filmstocks and lighting can account for all the differences, especially between PR images. My gut tells me it was a different brand of paint between SW and ESB, and the same brand with maybe some formula changes on the paint manufacturers side between ESB and ROTJ.

I don't know. I don't care. I think the eFX TIE looks fantastic. Looking forward to seeing it in person.

I had dinner last night with Carson Dyle and he admonished me for my previous, uncharacteristically brief, post on the color of the TIE. I hope this makes up for it :lol!

Gene

Thanks for the excellent paint summary; it'll come in handy when I do my Tie build.

How much of the Tamiya TS 32 Haze Grey is necessary to paint the Tie?

Excellent post, Gene. I had flashbacks to one of my old jobs where I was doing color checks at 3am at the printers, when we did auction catalogs.

Thanks for the excellent paint summary; it'll come in handy when I do my Tie build.

One can is fine for a styrene kit of it (FM or AMT), but you will likely need two cans if you are doing a SS scale one. Of course, if you decant it and spray it with an airbrush, one can might be enough. At least TS-32 is a readily available color in the states with any source that stocks Tamiya spray.

Tomorrow I'm going to see if there might be other close "off the shelf" colors at the LHS that might work for an ANH TIE as well using Haze Gray has comparison color. We know TS-32 can work, but I can always compare it with the color chips for Testors Model Master 2, Floquil (RR colors and Pollyscale RR and Military) and the fully stocked Tamiya acrylic rack. Lately Tamiya has been adding to their stock of acrylics with some additional gray shades to help go with some of their newer kit issues. I'll let you know what I find.

BTW, excellent post GK! Very informative!

Last edited:

Get 2 cans to be safe, you can barely make it with one. BTW Tamiya spray cans are top notch it goes on as a airbrush, covers nicely and thin coat.

GFollano

Wow...

Nothing like having the actual top hatch off of an original TIE miniature and some serious, expert sleuthing to answer 30+ years of questions and idle speculation.

Thanks Gene!

Thanks Gene. Your post is the kind of post that effectively ends discussion, in the definitve this is it way. If I ever get around to using this Koolshade its good to know that Tamiya Haze Grey is SO close.:thumbsup

I'm sorry Gene but the colour is way off because you've gone and coloured matched 33yr old dirty and UV faded paint.

:lol

Thankyou once again for your tireless research.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back