eFX TIE fighter at SDCC

Wow, that is looking pretty good, the paint match looks to be exact.

I also like the fact that it is battery powered and does not have to be mounted on the base to operate the lights.

Having said that, will there be a bottom hatch to cover the mount hole for the base post if we decide to display it without the base?

Also, is this a final production piece? I am noticing some of the small details on the top hatch are a little larger than the original.

And the TIE fighter never trusted another Star Wars fan again...

efx-tie-fighter-sdcc-tie-2ndpaint-018.jpg-111694d1346868378

Great update.

I know the change to the on/off switch location is a pro for those that want to display just the TIE, but it's a con for those of us that will have an acrylic cover made. Having to take the cover off to turn on the lights will just mean I will never have the lights on.

Wow - I'm floored.

Seriously beyond impressed with this. The changes that have been made to the last couple of iterations put this one over the top IMO. Can't be sure until I see it and hold it, but this may be the most accurate studio scale miniature collectible ever produced.

Thanks Gene! Thanks Jason!

And thanks Bryan!

Holy mackaroly, removable wings?

Hmmmm, what should I do with all of this vintage KoolShade that's just sitting around...

Great update.

I know the change to the on/off switch location is a pro for those that want to display just the TIE, but it's a con for those of us that will have an acrylic cover made. Having to take the cover off to turn on the lights will just mean I will never have the lights on.

Yeah, Bryan realized that that was the potential downside to the decision. But given the fact that the TIE can stand on it's own, as well as some of the complaints rec'd about the X-wing's base, he decided to try something different. And with this model in particular - there aren't a lot of lights anyway, and they are in the back.

Gene (who realizes he hasn't turned on his Falcon's lights in a good long time.....)

Hey Gene,

How did the Kool Shade look?
Back in 2011 I took the "virtual" Kool shade that I meticulously re-created ( from real 1970s era Kool Shade)
-and made some custom 3D/CAD ( Pro-E format for the Chinese Contractor) files for EFX/Bryan Uno to use on the Studio TIE Project.
As well as providing more accurate patterns for the Wing-Stars ( the early prototypes had "issues")

I provided them with 2 versions of "Virtual" Kool Shade for Chinese Firm; both modified, with no back-fills ... etc.
One that could the Rapid Prototyped with Stereolithography, the other could be created with CNC milling.
The second was more suited for injection molding, manufacture which EFX was considering, at the time, for this project
I am curious which they ended up using.

Great Posts by the way!

Last edited:
The first Render is of accurately modeled 1970s Kool-Shade with the Braided-Wire and Louvers

These were some "renders of the first version of "Virtual" Kool-Shade ( 3D/Cad Kool-Shade)
It has been "back-filled for casting and has Limited Undercuts that can be pulled for silicone rubber.

The second version ( not shown) intended for injection molding processes- has no undercuts including the Braided Wire
Your pictures look like they may have used the latter.
but it's hard to tell from the pics

Nice Job on those decals Jason!
I'm glad Efx is paying attention to so many details
I'm stoked for this one!

Attachments

• Koo_Shade_12.jpg
    Koo_Shade_12.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 255
  • Koo_Shade_13.jpg
    Koo_Shade_13.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 188
  • Virtual_KoolShade_2.jpg
    Virtual_KoolShade_2.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 235
  • Virtual_KoolShade_1.jpg
    Virtual_KoolShade_1.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 192
  • Virtual_KoolShade_8.jpg
    Virtual_KoolShade_8.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 261
  • Virtual_KoolShade_4.jpg
    Virtual_KoolShade_4.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
I saw this and spoke to Brian at C VI and it looked amazing. The only thing he told me that others haven't mentioned so far is that they replaced the pilot figure that Gentle Giant sculpted with the original Harrier pilot that was used on the original SS model from the film.

Personally, I'd like to have both pilot versions available so I can display it either way. As far as the pilot goes, I'm not looking for posterity so I'd prefer the GG sculpt over the Harrier pilot version myself.

I saw this and spoke to Brian at C VI and it looked amazing. The only thing he told me that others haven't mentioned so far is that they replaced the pilot figure that Gentle Giant sculpted with the original Harrier pilot that was used on the original SS model from the film.

Personally, I'd like to have both pilot versions available so I can display it either way. As far as the pilot goes, I'm not looking for posterity so I'd prefer the GG sculpt over the Harrier pilot version myself.

There is a photo of the Harrier pilot in an earlier post - http://www.therpf.com/f10/efx-tie-fighter-sdcc-91735/index10.html#post2402644

Due to the way the thing is constructed, having optional pilots just wasn't.......an option. The canopy frame is glued in place and the rear hatch, though removable for changing the engine battery, doesn't allow access to the front of the cockpit ball.

.......These were some "renders of the first version of "Virtual" Kool-Shade ( 3D/Cad Kool-Shade)
It has been "back-filled for casting and has Limited Undercuts that can be pulled for silicone rubber.

The second version ( not shown) intended for injection molding processes- has no undercuts including the Braided Wire
Your pictures look like they may have used the latter.
but it's hard to tell from the pics

Ultimately, Bryan chose to go with injection molding the entire wing structure as a single piece -

attachment.php

This is a raw part that the factory sent to Bryan about a year ago (I think). They didn't bother to water cool the part as it came out of the mold, so it appears a bit warped. But it's neat to see the raw parts -
attachment.php

The production parts are obviously going to be water cooled and straight, as well painted black.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have some old Koolshade too, and it's a weird material - especially up close. I think this method captures the look of the material even when you are relatively close to it. (I remember painting my Fine Molds TIE solar panels in alternating stripes of gloss black and semi-gloss black to get that look.)

Gene

Nice Pictures!
Thanks for posting them.
I'm glad they made the changes and improvements to the Wings.
I got to examine the CAD files of the "early" version of the wing design.
This is definitely an improvement.
I agree The Kool-shade is a lot better in this version too... the first approach was too simple and all wrong in the shapes and spacing.

It looks as if EFX took "to heart " -- to all the input from you guys; Gene, Steve, John etc.
Thank goodness for your expertise on this subject
Woo Hoo!

I hope an X-1 TIE is on EFX's "radar screen"

Noticed the same thing, all the proprotions of the hatch details are very different from the original.

GFollano

And the decals. Not saying it's not beautiful (it is, and I still want one), but definitely some of the proportions aren't quite the same.

Its a lovely model, but yes, its pretty apparent on the hatch that the decals are oversized on the eFX, and the detail plant ons, are also scaled up.
Wasnt this also the case with the X wing too, it ended up slightly oversized?
Cool idea to injection mold the wings though.

lee

Yeah, the Saturn V engine cans and several of the wing greeblies were oversized on the X-Wing, unfortunately.

Will be interesting to see this in person and take some measurements. It's possible we're reading too much given the angle in this one photo:

efx-tie-fighter-sdcc-tie-2ndpaint-005-text.jpg-111689d1346867206

The proof will be in the, um, porridge, which I will return to eating now!

Mmmmm....porridge.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back