eFX TIE fighter at SDCC

Very nice post. Thanks for sharing pics, here. :)

Great to see the attention to details.

eFX is going all out to get this right!:thumbsup

I fear I might have to cough up 1000 pesos. :cry

Thanks for the update Gene. Nice photos too!
Looks like the TIE detail will be excellent.

You could teach eFx a thing or two about updates.
They should have been posting updates like yours on their web site. It shows the effort they are putting into the TIE.

attachment.php

Just curious why the decal on the EFX looks much bigger here.

Last edited:
Great update for the TIE. Nice to see all the positives going towards eFX, this really shows how much they care about getting something right instead of just shipping an inferior product.

Just curios, regarding the MF tractor paint...don't suppose you obtained a product/colour code? Don't see one in the pic.

"TRIVIA - We checked the catalog number of the paint we matched to and discovered that it actually matches up with a piece of farm equipment. So if you have a Massey Ferguson tractor, well.....something on it is painted the same shade of gray as a TIE Fighter."

Some info and pics from Bryan on RS: "... we are trying our best to start shipping the TIE Fighter by the end of September. As you can see, we are in full production!"

TIEPL2.jpg

TIEPL1.jpg

They're multiplying -

attachment.php

Bryan brought over the latest factory painted TIE (that he had at Celebration VI) along with the older paint sample (from SDCC '12) for a quick look-see the other night. (The latest sample is the one on the left in the photo above.)

While I really enjoyed seeing the SDCC TIE a couple of months ago, this latest sample, which is a better indicator of the product y'all will be receiving, is over the top!

While it will be hard to see here, there IS a difference in the base color between the two samples. The latest paintjob by the factory nails the color on the hatch piece that I have -
attachment.php

attachment.php

When comparing the two TIE's, the effect is subtle. Yet, when I saw the OLD paint sample, I felt something was 'off' right away, without even dragging the hatch cover out. It was close, but not 'blue' enough. The latest version is a lot closer. Also apparent is a better match to the darker gray panels on the hatch. This effect overall makes the paint scheme more subtle and not as contrasty -
attachment.php

attachment.php

And from the latest paint sample, you can see that the oversized stencil decal has been reduced. (I'll also add that I found a good photo of the underside of the TIE that shows a few more decals that we had previously seen. Jason Eaton was able to crank out some new decal/stamp artwork for eFX and we should see that on the production versions.......)

This version also had functioning lights in the engines -
attachment.php

attachment.php

Just a couple of LED's, but that's what the real things used.

Bryan decided to try something different with the TIE Fighter. Instead of the lights being hard-wired into the mount that goes into the base (like the Falcon and X-wing), the TIE will have a switch/battery arrangement in the cockpit ball so you can still light it up, even if you aren't using the base/mount that it come with. You can switch on the engines by sticking your finger in the rear window pressing a switch -
attachment.php

To change the battery, you can just pop off the rear hatch -
attachment.php

What I find really neat is that the model mount (which will come up through the bottom), will nest in a replica of the original's armature. It won't really be visible, but it is there........

Someone asked about how these were going to be shipped. Bryan tells me that they will basically be disassembled (Cockpit Ball/Arms + Wings) to be shipped. The innermost piece of the wingstar pops off and reveals a huge allen bolt -
attachment.php

EFX will include an allen wrench -
attachment.php

Simple.

Someone else asked for the size. Bryan didn't have a base with him, but he did mention that it will be square, look like the X-wing base in terms of finish, and have a lip for those of you that want to get an acrylic dust cover made for the piece. I don't have the dimensions for the base at this time. If you want to display this off of the base - just sitting on a bookshelf or a table - the footprint of the piece is 15 1/4" wide x 14 5/8" deep x 18 1/16" high. While obviously not as large as the Falcon, it does take up a bit of real estate depth and height-wise. And with the base, it will be a little bigger.

OK, but when will it be ready? Bryan approved the paint match and the reduction of the oversized decal last week so the factory can get started on the final finish/assembly. LFL just approved the liner notes/prop story and photos. That gets printed and shipped to the main factory by another supplier. That may add some time getting them on the boat by the end of the month, but it will be close. Not sure what the transit times are for a freighter coming across the Pacific (or customs for that matter) - at that point, it's as much a waiting game for eFX as it is for you..........

More later.....

Gene

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back