Tron: Legacy Costumes

Capn_Jack_Savvy

Sr Member
I'm psyched about Tron Legacy and thinking about a Tron World costume. Links provided because they are HI RES HD images.

Is it just me or do some of these Tron Legacy costumes in the Tron world resemble Batman suits?

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/zz3778feec.jpg

Example look at this boot image. You can practically see the glue they used to glue the latex pieces together.

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/zz070f54bb.jpg

Tron women seem to be in a one piece tight spandex suit with boots and layered top. No electronics in the legs only the boots.

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/zz32ab4503.jpg

I can't tell if the lights are animated onto the suit or physically built into the actual costume.

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/zz6f7c54cb.jpg

David Bowie anyone?

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/zz7e1d8c56.jpg

Wow! Now in white too! SHINY! Yeoman Rand style hair bun!

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/zz4f3a030c.jpg

A good starting point for the black suit.

Unicolor Black Unisex Lycra Zentai Suit(zt65) - Cheap Lycra Spandex Zentai Suit - Lycra Spandex Zentai Suit - Trustedeal.com

Maybe a starting point for boots. You could use black pleather or foam to layer the look?

http://www.costumeexpress.com/Super...10645522&PID=2100672&SID=NAT133716-sc31264881

So anyway anyone going to work on any of these?

HAHHAHAH! I tried to tell Travis that guy just SCREAMS Bowie in the Ziggy days...he disagreed. But only because he doesn't have enough Bowie knowledge to call it first, methinks.

Olivia ( who plays Quorra ... I think it's spelled ) looks SO HOT in that suit and I want it SO BAD!!!! The suit, not her...

I think they may have used Light Tape for the suits...if you google it, there's a site ( too lazy to find it again right now ) that has an image of the light-bike from the movie which they supplied the tape for. Apparently it can also be used in fashion so I don't see why they wouldn't have.

Baaaahh....I just wish I could afford the light tape for one of these suits. >_<

LOL I saw this trailer twice at Inception and thought David Bowie every time I saw the cane swinging guy!

What I know for readig an interview of Sam's actor, is that they builded LED sheets into the suits, and underlighted the set, so when we'll set up the right luminosity the circuitry will really glow strong. So yeah, it's build-in lights with batteries and all.

And, yeah, I really regret the simplicity and "batman-like" aspect of the suits, we lose the idea that they were pure energie covered by human-like circuitry... :(
Tron 2.0 really nailed that right.

The Disney.com Tron site has more info on the characters. I'm going to try to make a costume of Rinzler or one of Clu's Guards.

Last edited:
I have been mulling over the ways to make this costume.

I was going to go with a base (I dug out an old wetsuit to test, but it would roast the wearer alive) such as a dive skin and then sculpt and mold silicone appliances which would then be glued to the base. The up shot would be you could work all the wiring on the underside of the appliance before gluing it down.

As for the silicone parts of the suit, I had a look at something on Youtube from a company called Brick In The Yard (BITY) called Gel 00, which is used to make flexible makeup prosthetics. Hopefully this would make the suit more comfortable and flexible, as well as being able to sculpt and mold the appliances flat.

EDIT: the material is called PlatSil Gel 00

I got ahold of the USB version of the Tron: Legacy trailer and noticed a few things:

- the undersuit material has a hexagonal pattern
- the "armored" portions serve a dual purpose, its also where the converters are hidden for the EL tape.
- the lighting is internal, its not added as a special effect, its EL tape or something similar. Looks like a suit would take a few feet which would be pricey.

From Comic Con Flynn's Arcade area. I am assuming these are custom made for the event area and not fan made but still WOW!! I could be wrong though!

4831798252_c1d59ecf44.jpg

4831796390_b256d77b20.jpg

4831799856_b16d75cfd6.jpg

Nice! Programs have improved over the last 18 years!!!!!
4831206109_3d8a924f78.jpg

4831814254_3b21e61a38.jpg

4831801676_20d61b3566.jpg

what the....those ones at the events...did they use reflective tape in place of the lights?

i mean, i know the light tape is pricey but i thought for an event like that they'd have some pretty authentic replicas. XD

I tried to convince Travis that reflective tape would be a good and cheap substitute but he refuses because he wouldn't be lit up all the time. *rolls eyes* maybe these pics can change his mind...

Like I said before aelynn, the lightsheet is a lot cheaper, can be cut to any shape, and the pink sheet actually glows blue.

Also the honeycomb pattern of the base suit is driving me nuts. I've looked everywhere for something similar and the best thing I can think of is mesh sown onto a black spandex suit.

And I found in this production shot that the battery pack for the suits is just below the lightdisk on their back.
http://babbleon5.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/hr_tron_legacy_12.jpg

These last photos from SDCC are of background character costumes (either from the film itself or based directly on them). If you look at that production photo from the bar, you can see these style costumes filling the background scene. I plan on making one myself at some point. Much less stressful to manage something like this than the hero "warrior" costumes. ;)

I plan to make the Quorra suit. I am very excited because I think my "half assed" methods will look pretty decent.

I usually dump hundreds of dollars into my costume making replicas. I am a perfectionist costume designer and if the costume does not look at least 99% accurate to what you are seeing on the film or comic I am replicating, I am just not satisfied. I practically kill myself getting the job done right and love it!

I have been an avid cosplayer and SDCC attendee for 10 years now. Just recently tried Dragon Con for the 1st time last year and loved loved loved it even more than SDCC.

I plan to make the Quorra costume for D*Con and with the limited time I have at this point, it will be have to be a "half assed" version of the suit which I never ever do when attending a convention but I am despearte and have run out of time due to working all year on my Anime Expo/SDCC costume - Ulala Space Channel 5.

Well wish me luck, Quorra will certainly be BAD ASS to cosplay, fun and if I can get this done I will be wearing it to the premiere for Disney to see Tron Legacy! I can't wait!

Thanks for everyone's awesome and observant advice on the costumes. I too see the same things most of you have in the construction of these costumes. I can't wait for the film to come out. :D

~Annissë

I plan to make the Quorra suit. I am very excited because I think my "half assed" methods will look pretty decent.

I usually dump hundreds of dollars into my costume making replicas. I am a perfectionist costume designer and if the costume does not look at least 99% accurate to what you are seeing on the film or comic I am replicating, I am just not satisfied. I practically kill myself getting the job done right and love it!

I have been an avid cosplayer and SDCC attendee for 10 years now. Just recently tried Dragon Con for the 1st time last year and loved loved loved it even more than SDCC.

I plan to make the Quorra costume for D*Con and with the limited time I have at this point, it will be have to be a "half assed" version of the suit which I never ever do when attending a convention but I am despearte and have run out of time due to working all year on my Anime Expo/SDCC costume - Ulala Space Channel 5.

Well wish me luck, Quorra will certainly be BAD ASS to cosplay, fun and if I can get this done I will be wearing it to the premiere for Disney to see Tron Legacy! I can't wait!

Thanks for everyone's awesome and observant advice on the costumes. I too see the same things most of you have in the construction of these costumes. I can't wait for the film to come out. :D

~Annissë

I am going to attempt a decent Quorra costume as well, I attended SDCC 2010 and saw the promo posters of Quorra all over the downtown area and fell in love with the costume even more! You guys have been posting very HELPFUL links and ideas! I am new to this whole thread thing, but I hope to do the same!

Annisse, coming from the woman who practically wrote the book on the Silk Spectre latex replica, I highly doubt it's gonna look half-assed. :p

I want to do a Quorra costume, but I know I'm just not gonna have the time or funds to do it with all the slack I have to pick up on over the next year on my other projects. I am thinking of doing one of the blonde Viruses though as an alternative. I probably wouldn't do reflective tape just because I feel like it wouldn't be that hard to get strips of LEDs into the costume.

After seeing this article about the new TRON: Legacy/Adidas apparel collaboration:

AJANAKU » Blog Archive » Adidas x TRON: Legacy x Oryon Tech

I checked out the Oryontech website at Oryon Technologies : Innovative Technology. Endless Possibilities... [www.oryontech.com] and realized that the ELastolite technology was what they used on the actual costumes for the movie. I was mistaken in an earlier post (possibly another thread) when I said that LightTape was what was used in the movie; it was actually ELastolite. The ELastolite technology is different than that of LightTape. It's created using a different process and the end product is actually thinner, more flexible and more pliable. I have no idea how much the ELastolite costs, but from what I've read on the wardrobe costs for TRON: Legacy, it probably ain't cheap. I may email them and see if I can get some more info.

And RebellionBarbie, if you are thinking of constructing a Siren costume, I have a few hi-res images of Siren Jem I could send to you. Send me a PM and I'll email them to you.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back