Paint colors for X-Wing, Snow speeder & AT-AT

TK9120

Sr Member
Does anyone know what colors they used on the originals? Or what colrs would be close? I'm guessing they might be Floquil paints. I know any grey would work. just wondering what the "right" color may be. These are just the cheap AMT models from Walmart. Thanks.

I can say with great certainty that the color I painted the MR AT-AT and Snowspeeder was successfully copied by the factory, and that the color I used was a match :)

So find an MR SS model and match the grey.

The X-Wings are trickier... they're darker than they appear onscreen - I have painted mine a little creamy, to ape the way the SS Models have aged... but I think the next one I do will be the same grey I used for the ATAT and Snowspeeder. :)

At the end of the day, I say use what YOU think looks right.

Thanks Moff. I was going to try and match the MR AT-AT. I just figured with all the different kits people have done there would have been a color that everyone used :)

There's a light grey Tamiya paint, straight out of the bottle that's pretty close. Add some white and a smidge of green (if you can believe it) and you're on your way.

I've always found that Model Master's Camo Gray works nicely for the X-wing and other Star Wars craft. With some weathering it comes out pretty good.

Nice pic JDH. Impressive. What did you use for the weathering paint or powders? I'll have to start checking for some paints. Thanks.

If you're into true accuracy Floquils were used on all of the originals except for the x-wing which was painted gloss white first (call me crazy I know. but getting information from the source helps too :) 0 but it was finished and weathered with floquils as well as the speeders and At-At's. I think a color called Concrete was used on a couple but the real deal to getting the color right is all about how you weather which actually changes your base color when done.

Lee

Nice pic JDH. Impressive. What did you use for the weathering paint or powders? I'll have to start checking for some paints. Thanks.

I used a combination of powders and different oil paints. Powders first then oils :)

JDH

Yes, I'd definitely go along with Rogue on that; the base colour is white. The weathering - which might, of course, include an all-over dirty wash - is what makes the X-wings look grey.

It's all very well saying that somebody got a pantone match after the fact, but they're matching the colour of the already weathered model, not the base colour that it was originally painted.

Hey Lee, I was hoping you'd reply. I know you're one of the experts on these things. :)

About the gloss white, does it have to be gloss or can I just use white primer?

Concrete is the base color then?

Any ides on the weathering technique, i.e paints or powders or anything else?

If I recall correctly, Bill George mentioned a black primer under the gloss white, where as the gloss was knocked down with steel wool or something to that effect...

I don't recall ever seeing black primer. I have seen dark grey.

So it would be Black primer, Gloss white sanded, Concrete then weathering?

Originally posted by Miniaturizer Ray@Jun 9 2005, 12:06 AM
Yes, I'd definitely go along with Rogue on that; the base colour is white.  The weathering - which might, of course, include an all-over dirty wash - is what makes the X-wings look grey. 

It's all very well saying that somebody got a pantone match after the fact, but they're matching the colour of the already weathered model, not the base colour that it was originally painted.
[snapback]1007821[/snapback]​

I agree as well that the base color is white. The layers of weathering darkens the white considerably making it seem like it's gray. At least that is my theory on it.

I'll post a pic later of my CC build-up. It's still on the bench until I can get some motivation to finish the weathering in and around the rear engines.CC X-Wing in progress

I misunderstood Lee's post and missed Miniaturizer Ray's altogether. :$ White does seem rather strange. I could see how the weathering turns the white grey though. Interseting.

Nice work on your CC X-Wing Tony. :thumbsup

Originally posted by TK9120@Jun 10 2005, 05:22 PM
I misunderstood Lee's post and missed Miniaturizer Ray's altogether.  :$ White does seem rather strange. I could see how the weathering turns the white grey though. Interseting.

Nice work on your CC X-Wing Tony.  :thumbsup
[snapback]1009083[/snapback]​

Just prime it black then get some auto gloss paint I think it was like Ford Diamond white but any good white gloss will do. Then you have to use either a scotch brite pad or some fine grain sand paper to mar the gloss finish but make sure you let the gloss coat dry a few days before sanding and take it from there.

Lee

I've seen krylon pewter gray used for the starwars ships....it is so close to white, almost a tint to the gray side. The base color is white. Just remember...in the star wars universe the rebel ships were filthy from heavy use. While the empires ships were always pristine. Good weathering will bring up the white to the correct tint.

I'm a little confused with the white. If you dull it down why not just use a flat white? I usually use white primer which already has a matte finish. Are you dulling the gloss so it's more of a semi-gloss?

The weathering is the part that will give me probelms. I'll have to try some scrap pieces first.

Originally posted by TK9120@Jun 10 2005, 10:42 PM
I'm a little confused with the white. If you dull it down why not just use a flat white? I usually use white primer which already has a matte finish. Are you dulling the gloss so it's more of a semi-gloss?

The weathering is the part that will give me probelms. I'll have to try some scrap pieces first.
[snapback]1009248[/snapback]​

Good question but that is how they did it also gives a less all dull paint look it. hard to explain but it's looks more professional.

Lee

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back