Cloud City Twin Pod Cloud Car

imaginager

Sr Member
Being between scratchbuilds - was waiting on my lasercutter for another project and "thought" I'd do a quick, out-of-the-box buildup - I pulled my Timeslip Cloud Car from the shelf and dug in. "Quick, out-of-the-box" ...for people who know me those are famous last words. My primary goal for this buildup was to test some electronics for future projects. And, well, one thing lead to another and a couple of weeks turned into a couple of months.

The studio model is vacformed, while the Timeslip is rotocast. I don't know the entire history of its development. But, IIRC, this kit is based on the master pattern originally made by Coinprop. The Timeslip version features a number of improvements and upgrades from the original and is very nice casting right out of the box. It does, however, deviate somewhat from the filming model. A good friend of mine commented that "it's been at the chocolate cake", owing to it's somewhat "fatter" top view.

In the end, I made a number of changes. The most necessary of these was replacing the too small standoff covers that adorn the model's rump. The Coinprop pattern is more of a bikini when the girl actually needs to put on the big girl panties. I made a new pattern, cast it up in hydrocal and vacformed replacements, sized up. While I was at that I also added the various vacformed "covers" that disguise the model's numerous mounting points; nose, belly, side, and rear.

VIDEO IS HERE (it's been the last entry in my post, so people are probably not seeing it...)

View My Video

Here's a smattering of development pics.

I used MDF blocks attached via Apoxie Sculpt to the inside of the pods as the base for mounting the wing unit.

ccimg001.jpg

ccimg002.jpg

ccimg003.jpg

ccimg010.jpg

Making the pattern for the nose covers.

ccimg012.jpg

ccimg018.jpg

ccimg019.jpg

The gun ports are also WAY too small compared to the filming model. Was a major pain opening these up, had to back them with Apoxie Sculpt so there was material to "bite" into.

ccimg013.jpg

ccimg014.jpg

Replacement guns using the correct kit part base (from the 1/12 Brabham)

ccimg007.jpg

ccimg008.jpg

Next up was major surgery on the figures. Orginally, I was only going to animate one of these, but I was later convinced to alter both.

ccimg015a.jpg

ccimg015b.jpg

ccimg022.jpg

ccimg025.jpg

ccimg027.jpg

ccimg033.jpg

ccimg029.jpg

ccimg030.jpg

Of course, I really had to modify the pods to get the figures / motors installed.

ccimg043.jpg

Discovered along the way that the canopy shroud / intake dealie is from the Airfix Harrier (drop tank).

ccimg038.jpg

ccimg039.jpg

ccimg046.jpg

I also opened up the grill work on the aft lower pod hulls.

ccimg047.jpg

Out of the box, the engine intake looks like this (there' also a center upright included but not shown in the pic).

ccimg055a.jpg

It should look like this.

ccimg056.jpg

And, now it does...

ccimg053.jpg

ccimg054.jpg

This illustrates the size difference between the included kit part "bikinis" and the required "big girl panties".

ccimg058.jpg

ccimg059.jpg

ccimg060.jpg

ccimg061.jpg

That's better...

ccimg064.jpg

I started out with acrylic tube and super bright LEDs for the engine...yuck.

ccimg064a.jpg

Old and busted.

ccimg068.jpg

New hotness!

ccimg067.jpg

ccimg069.jpg

After then it was just paint...

ccimg071.jpg

ccimg076.jpg

And, done...well, mostly.

ccdone1.jpg

ccdone2.jpg

ccdone3.jpg

ccdone4.jpg

ccdone5.jpg

ccdone6.jpg

ccdone7.jpg

ccdone8.jpg

ccdone9.jpg

ccdone10.jpg

ccdone11.jpg

ccdone12.jpg

And a movie.

View My Video

Last edited:
WOW! Sweet job.

I like that you used the intense colors. That's how I see it, but not many have had that of punch.

Thanks for pointing out the differences. That'll help in future builds.

Now that's some serious upgrades, I like the vacformed covers, the motorized pilots, the tiny fluo tubes, the paintjob, well I like all you did on this build !
Another great model to go in your TESB collection.

She's beautiful Allan, well worth using her a a "gap filler" between projects lol, everything worked out so well, yup, one of my faves for sure, so nice to see it taken to the next level.

lee

OMG....awsomeness onlye raised by the repeated use of bikini's and big girl panties. How will I explain to my wife why I call the back of the cloud car panties from now and moving on?? :) Beautiful! Thanks for sharing all the work!

Nice build and it's cool that you made one of the pilots French:

"Ah ha ha, look at my littol fwench moostache!"

ccimg033.jpg

Amazing job we need video of the heads turning though!!:lol:thumbsup

I love this model but I hated scratch-building it
it was just a drain! I would never make another
even with all the patterns I made......NEVER!:lol

Lee I am still waiting to see yours buddy!:thumbsup

Thanks for all the comments and views, guys.

Michael, the video link was at the end of my somewhat long-winded post. Here it is:

View My Video

I setup the motors/mech so the heads would turn at different speeds - thought it would look kinda silly if they were synchronized!

The mustache is the way the studio figure is painted, can't claim that as my invention, LOL.

What an amazing build and engineering, that's so cool. It's like one of those paintings where you feel the eyes are following you around the room.

Jeez, what a great build Allan! I've never liked the design of the Cloud Car (doesn't quite fit with the SW universe IMHO), but you've done an awesome job on that beastie. Paint is flawless (love the mo!) and the heads turning...priceless!

btw you keeping all those Morsers and Leopolds for any reason....? :lol

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back