NCC 7100 Stargazer - From Picard's Ready Room

ProfKSergeev is referring to the lower right hand picture in the parts map. These are the same two pieces I was referring to whan I asked if anyone had ID all the parts. These two parts/pieces are much larger than the powered suit gun(?) that is in-between them. The two parts are rounded on the corners too. Before anyone says that the parts are from the 1/35th Ostall kit, I have that kit, and the parts that "look similar" to these are much much smaller, so they are not from that kit. I made the same mistake.

Well infinite thanks to you both for bothering to ID this thing. ProfKSergeev, I'm going to post photos of the actual kit parts in your thread later on. I had not intended a full on accurate build when I started out, but I'm not arguing for a move to Studio Scale either.

I see what you mean about the kit parts now. The 2 rectangular parts on either side of Powered suit cannon remain at large. Perhaps something that looks like parts from that Ostall.

I am also curious about the much smaller details on the back that do not appear to be styrene sheet but tiny half circles. There's also the repeating rectangular pattern on the edge of the nacelle support halves used to detail the top of the hull. Tiny stuff that is not highlighted in the photos.

I'm going to post photos of the actual kit parts in your thread later on.

Thanks, Nighteyes. I should do the same.

I am also curious about the much smaller details on the back that do not appear to be styrene sheet but tiny half circles. There's also the repeating rectangular pattern on the edge of the nacelle support halves used to detail the top of the hull. Tiny stuff that is not highlighted in the photos.

Not sure about the half-circle details you mention, but the rectangular pattern looks to be tank treads, individual links of which are also glued on the back between the impulse engines.

Not sure about the half-circle details you mention, but the rectangular pattern looks to be tank treads, individual links of which are also glued on the back between the impulse engines.

Since you posted the above lines about the rectangular patterned items on the back, I have "found" those. They are tank tracks and they come from a M4-Sherman "HVSS". I'm not sure that Tamiya had that tank as a kit back when the yellow Constellation was built, so these tank tread could have come from another tank kit that uses those tracks. The tracks have a chevron pattern with a split in the middle. I point that out as there are other tracks like these but do not have the split in the middle.

stevielewis, I appreciate the lead on the tank tread.

Checking a 1/35 M4 Sherman I had from another project I noticed its treads are much too large compared to the drexfiles photos. Perhaps the kit we are looking for is a 1/48 tank?

Maybe the HVSS you speak of is 1/48 scale.

Ok...that's a good possibility on the scale size, 1:48. If the 1:35 is too large, it seems to make sense that 1:48 would be the next logical size. I'll check into it. Thanks for this bit of information.

What I meant is that 1/48 is simply far too large. Those tracks are 1/72 without a doubt. I won't bother with them on my model regardless, but that's because I'm going for a cross between the Ready Room prop and the larger studio model in terms of detail.

I understand ProfkSergeev. I did find a 1/72nd M48 Patton tank with these tracks. Should have it in a few days to check them against the readyroom model pictures.

I've got a 1/72 Hasegawa Sherman at home to check as well.

There are a lot of 1/72 tanks out there. I agree the track links do appear to match the Sherman but I don't think we have a high enough resolution photo to ever say for sure.

I am familiar with the individual plastic treads that come with the Hasegawa Sherman and I can already tell you they are not an exact match to the track links that we can see on the back of the model.

That's interesting information about the tracks you have not exactly matching those on the model. Unless Rick Sternbach or Andrew Probert tell us which tracks they are, we'll prolly have to use our best guesses on them. It's what makes this so fun! :lol

Those definitely appear to be exactly what we need for some of the detail pieces on the NCC 7100 Stargazer. That's also a very good question as to which model kit company was producing a 1/72 Sherman HVSS back in the early 80's, as the one in the review is quite modern. I'll have to look for that kit later. The 1/72 M 48 Patton kit I purchased is made by Revel Germany, so it could be an new tooled kit or possibly a re-issue of an older kit.

Continuing our search for these tank tracks I realized HVSS describes the suspension of the tank itself. What we are searching for will have Type 80 track links, or T80, but Im still uncertain which of these kits were around at the time the Stargazer was built.

There is also another part yt to be highlighted or IDed on the underside of the saucer all the way forward near the front. Perhaps the 1/72 tank we are searching for has this part. If not, maybe the decals on the Stargazer can lead us to our missing parts as well. There are circle decals near the bridge module that don't show up in any of the donor kits so far.

There is also another part yt to be highlighted or IDed on the underside of the saucer all the way forward near the front. Perhaps the 1/72 tank we are searching for has this part. If not, maybe the decals on the Stargazer can lead us to our missing parts as well. There are circle decals near the bridge module that don't show up in any of the donor kits so far.

I guess I'm not understanding what you are describing here. If it's the triangular part that can be partially seen, that became a cutout with added detail on the 4 foot studio model. What we see in the yellow model looks to be a frame of some kind. As for the "circle decals" near the bridge module, are you refering to the upper hull or the lower hull? I'm not seeing these "decals" on the lower hull.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back