Electric Tiki Dragon's Lair Daphne Sculpt Opinion

TymerDC

Sr Member
I need an opinion so please read:

Recently Electric Tiki has unveiled its "Animation's Leading Ladies" maquettes starting with Don Bluth's Princess Daphne of Dragon's Lair. I and a few friends of mine have been waiting to get a look at the prototype sculpt ever since we saw the concept sketch as we are all interested in purchasing one. We have been big fans of Bluth's Animation and have several cels from some of his films and video games. One of my friends even has a restored Dragons Lair Video Game in his office.
When we saw the first sculpt of Daphne we all agreed on the same thing. Although we all thought the concept sketch was great and captured her "essence"...we all felt the maquette didn't...referring to her face which just doesn't look quite right.......that cute, coy, sexy face. The overall sculpt is great, its just the face we all have trouble with. One of my friends e-mailed Electric Tiki and voiced his opinion and all they answered back was "sorry you feel that way but we think it looks awesome" , Please look at the pics I'm posting and tell me what you think....I posted the concept pic, their maquette, a model sheet and a few screen caps of the character with the right facial features I felt mimics what I'm talking about.
Is it just the photography of the maquette?...there really isn't a good closeup of her face. Am I right or wrong? The face we all think just needs a 'tweek". I want to see this up-close in person at the Sideshow booth at the San Diego Comic Con and hope it looks better in person because I do want this. Please give your opinions about the Maquette and tell me what you think of it.

Here's the maquette on Electric Tiki's Website : http://www.electrictiki.com/animate-ladies/daphne.html

Last edited:
Re: Electic Tiki Dragon's Lair Daphne Sculpt Opinion

Wow, picky folk, you are :lol :lol :lol

I can´t make out that much in the picture because the hard light in the photo washes out details a bit.

I´d say the contours of the face are a bit hard, the nose is a tad bit too high, and maybe the grooves around her mouth are too deep. But overall I think it works quite well.

I see what you mean - her face looks a little "witchy" whereas Daphne was wholesome - (except her dress). Her face is very specific, same as Tinkerbell from the movie Peter Pan in comparison to her later incarnations.

I really don't even like the statue - they should have sculpted her in the little bubble. Too bad - I would have picked one up if they had gotten her right. Problem with Electric Tiki is they are so used to "tooning" characters up (The Greatest American Hero statue is just plain stupid looking) that maybe they follow their own rules as to what looks good.

Wow, picky folk, you are :lol :lol :lol
I can´t make out that much in the picture because the hard light in the photo washes out details a bit. I´d say the contours of the face are a bit hard, the nose is a tad bit too high, and maybe the grooves around her mouth are too deep. But overall I think it works quite well.

I don't think we are being "picky". :lol :lol
We all have several of Electic Tiki's maquettes and think the sculpts are great and "nailed" the characters look just right. This is the only sculpt we have recently been wanting and just felt Daphne's face just didn't capture her character right. .

Last edited:

she has that drunk look on her face..Like she is tipsy.

Electric tiki can careless about hardcore fans opinions. Hardcore fans make up a small percentage of their sales. Accuracy is the least of their worries.

I understand your disappointment. I own their rocketeer statue that came out a few months ago. The statue is great, but it does have flaws...I'm not much of a fan of the artist who sculpt the statues..IMHO he is a tool, but that is a different story...Just remember it can always be worse...

.I'm not much of a fan of the artist who sculpt the statues..IMHO he is a tool, but that is a different story...

Is Rich the name of the guy? i met with the dude who started the company - back when he was releasing Greatest American Hero and he "borrowed" one of my posters for his display at comic con - he promised me he'd let me have a statue in return - guess what I didn't get and never got back. But i have to say, I may have told him I didn't like the GAH statue so..

It's soured me from buying any of their products -

I emailed Electric Tiki and Don Bluth for their opinions....assuming I get any

I would say drunk and hickish (Brear Bearish). Don't like it at all. I would say they approximated the ambient temperature well however. I always assumed it was very cold in the sphere. Very chilly indeed.

Doc

I emailed Electric Tiki and Don Bluth for their opinions....assuming I get any

I doubt they will agree with your opinion...Electric tiki will say it is a great statue and Don bluth will most likely say the same thing...He will probably say he is just happy they are making a statue of his character and sorry that you feel that way..

I am actually surprised to find out kent melton sculpted the statue *(looked on electric tiki website). He is great. He sculpted the rocketeer helmet and the bowen bronze and resin statue...He does amazing work, but it looks like he wasnt able to get Daphne's face right

Also, Sorry to hear that happened to you Jet...He isnt the same person I dealt with..I dealt with a guy name Ruben...He is one of the guys that sculpts several of their statues for them...Not a big fan of him...

I feel I should point out that this thread isn't an attempt to derail Electric Tiki's sale of their maquette. I just wanted other non-biased opinions of this maquette to see if others felt the way I do or disagreed with me. I do feel their sculpts are amaziing but in this one instance it isn't the quality of the work I'm disagreeing about. I just feel the face could be improved to more mimic Daphne's "essence". I'm honestly hoping I'm wrong once I see this in person at the Comic Con

You're being over-critical of something you haven't seen in person. And emailing the maker and asking his opinion is a total fanboy move. I hope you didn't choose to represent the RPF as a whole.

The sculpt looks great if you look close.

daphne.jpg

I couldn't find the words to describe what was "off".

The "drunk look" and "witchy" descriptions are good

Now I don't have to.

but...
Mic's got a point about seeing it in person.
I've seen plenty of pics that didn't do the item justice.

"drunk" is just because the eye lids are half closed (half open?)

gives it a more sultry/"Marilyn Monroe" look if you will.

You're being over-critical of something you haven't seen in person. And emailing the maker and asking his opinion is a total fanboy move. I hope you didn't choose to represent the RPF as a whole. The sculpt looks great if you look close.

Maybe you should go back and reread what I wrote....I already said I hadn't seen it in person and HOPE I'M WRONG...which is why I'm going to see it in person at the Comic Con. I've already gotten replys from Electric Tiki and they were very cordual. I also GAVE my opinion. Most companies welcome input ..thats how they IMPROVE their products. I'm not attacking Electric Tiki nor have I represented myself as a whole to the RPF.
I've met you Mic and I wouldn't exactly accuse me of being a "fanboy" until you've taken good look in the mirror. I think Jedifyfe is right.....you should change that avatar to this :lol :lol :lol :

You asked, sorry you can't handle an opposing opinion.

I asked for an opinion on the maquette....not of what you thought of me personally. Its all good.....everyone give 'ol Mic a group hug !..I think he needs it.

I would agree from the photos that something seems off with her face, but I would also agree that wanting something more accurate of a "toy" or "display" piece is asking a bit much.

Kent Melton is a great sculptor. There are always others you have to please! Who knows what input Don or Tracy had on the final sculpt.

We don't know what goes on behind the scenes. I think it looks great.

FB

The animated version has a lot less features on her face, such as how her cheeks and mouth affect the skin's structure of her face. That's what stood out the most for me anyways. That and I think her mouth is a wee bit too open.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back