Mystery Men Invisible Boy Costume

seven

Sr Member
I am interested in throwing an Invisible Boy (Kel Mitchell) costume together and I am looking for some ID help on some of the 'found' costume parts.

Need help IDing his hat . It looks like a leather cap that may be used under a helmet. Perhaps a motorcycle, or flight?

the gloves-type of motorcycle riding gloves that were painted red on the ribs

The chain to tie on his denim cape, seems pretty standard

Costume Parts
1. Urban (aka City) Camouflage trousers (BDU) - found item
2. Short Sleeve Button-up Urban Camouflage shirt (no collar) -custom?
3. Long sleeve net shirt (camo? White with gray splotches) - custom?
4. Plain Red long sleeve sweater or shirt (possibly Gap) - found item
5. RX2 AGV Sport Riding gloves (Black base, red knuckles & fingers, gray triangles, elastic @ wrist) - found item
6. WWII era - Fighter/bomber leather helmet w/radio ear holes & crawl space padding removed from front & back - found item
7. Levi Black Denim Jacket, Large, converted cape w/chain clasp - found/modified item
8. Military/paratrooper Black boots - found item

Kel's Height 5'11, I'm a bit shy of that height...

Last edited:
Re: Mystery Men Invisible Boy Costume ID help

no idea on costume parts, but I am a huge fan of Bob Burden and FLAMING CARROT comics and, of course, the MYSTERY MEN.

Good luck. Cool idea.

The leather cap looks a lot like the standard leather Solex (moped) caps they sell in some motorcycle stores here.

interesting, do you have any pictures?

I am trying to do a google search for them, but not finding much..What I do see are 'Aviator' style w/ Radio ear holes

Last edited:

That's awesome, I don't think I've ever seen anybody do a Mystery men costume before.

I don't think the gloves are painted though, I'm pretty sure they're made of red leather.

De-General.com has a cap similar to the one I have here.
They cost 35 euro on this website, but I got mine from a local motorcycle/army dump store for less (using it for skydiving).

Its not perfect in terms of resembling the actual cap used, but seems to be a step in the right direction.
Scouring some websites for antique cars and/or aviation memorabilia is probably a good thing to do.

All I could think of when I read the thread title was a "Naked Kel". Is this the movie where he thinks he's invisible but really he's just naked and everyone can see him? It's been a long time since I saw it lol. That would be a much easier costume than making his actual costume :p

Sorry for posting nothing useful, I suck. Good luck with the costume though.

Shot of the back of his cap

The finger padding on his gloves

The bottom side of the gloves - kind of make out the manufacturers logo

More ref

Last edited:

Could the cap be some sort of skydiving helmet, I think I've seen something similar before being worn by skydivers. It could also be Russian, they used similar helmets throughout their military back in the Soviet days although most (like their tanker helmets) had padded ridges, still it's something else to look for.

interesting direction. From the pics, it almost looks like something was removed from the front. Perhaps a logo or maybe it was one of the Fur hats w/ fur removed

I contacted AGV to see if they still had some old stock RX2 gloves, but alas, they didn't. Cannot seem to find them anywhere online.

The cap is still alluding me too. I keep finding WWII era motorcycle caps that are close, but no cigar. In fact, I keep finding the same three designs :angry
there has to be a bigger variety out there for these caps...

Looking at pics of some leather skydiving helmets I'm almost totally convinced that this is a leather skydiving helmet. All of the ones that I'm finding pics for have the same conical shape to them and have ribbing on the outside which were probably removed for IB's.

this may be the helmet
http://www.vtarmynavy.com/german-leather-aviation-helmet---black.htm
German-Leather-Aviation-Hel.gif

Last edited:

Looking at pics of some leather skydiving helmets I'm almost totally convinced that this is a leather skydiving helmet. All of the ones that I'm finding pics for have the same conical shape to them and have ribbing on the outside which were probably removed for IB's.

Do you have any links? I am not having much luck searching for skydiving helmets. Just finding hard helmets and Frab hats :confused

That's the closest one that I have found too, but it's not identical. The neck flap on the back is probably going to help nail this

Now we're talking.

Interesting note, the chin strap buckles on the left side, instead of the right, like most (all?) hats seem to. Is this a switch made by production cause Kel Mitchell is left handed, or is there a 'left-handed' hat?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back