Carving Foam

KingNothing

What would be a good "carving foam"? By that I mean, a good foam or material that can be carved and shaped without a crapload of it falling apart like, say, styrofoam. So a more dense foam I guess.

Any help would be grand. :p

Thanks.

The experts around here sometimes use something called "renshape patterning board". I haven't tried it myself since I can't get any where I live, but I'm dying to try it out.

/Joe F

I think what you are looking for is a polyurethane foam. You want something like this: http://www.generalplastics.com/products/pr...ail.php?pid=19& it is pretty expensive through this site, but I offer it as an example.

Try looking in your local Yellow pages under "Insulation" and call around for a 4 lb urethane foam. They make it in various densities, and the higher density costs more money. 2 lb density is very light and I use it for sculpting armetures. 4 lb is better for general purpose, and 8 lb can be vacu-formed right over.

I think what you are looking for is a polyurethane foam. You want something like this: http://www.generalplastics.com/products/pr...ail.php?pid=19& it is pretty expensive through this site, but I offer it as an example.

Try looking in your local Yellow pages under "Insulation" and call around for a 4 lb urethane foam. They make it in various densities, and the higher density costs more money. 2 lb density is very light and I use it for sculpting armetures. 4 lb is better for general purpose, and 8 lb can be vacu-formed right over.

Your link doesn't seem to work???

I've heard people use floral foam, that green stuff that florists use for flower arrangments.

I've heard about this too but from what I have heard it is too soft as it indents to easily. I'm trying to find the name of the foam which if I remember is pink in colour and you can shape it with a Stanley knife or and sand paper to get your desired effect. I have looked all over and had no success though. So I am watching this thread with interest.

If I find any information out, I will post.

What would be a good "carving foam"? By that I mean, a good foam or material that can be carved and shaped without a crapload of it falling apart like, say, styrofoam. So a more dense foam I guess.

Any help would be grand. :p

Thanks!

I sir have found what we both are looking for lol. This is a page which tells you what it is called and also if you click on the correct name it takes you to a link where you can buy the foam from lol

Blue Foam, Pink Foam, Foamboard and Styrofoam. - Antenocitis Workshop News & Blog

THIS IS THE LINK WHERE TO BUY IT FROM:

Styrofoam | Sheet Materials | Scratchbuilders Paradise | Antenocitis Workshop

I know there are a vaiety of very dense foam matrerials out there for prototyping and such, other than the stuff generally developed as housing insulation. It's pretty tough, but easy to carve. One just has to search for it.

I know there are a vaiety of very dense foam matrerials out there for prototyping and such, other than the stuff generally developed as housing insulation. It's pretty tough, but easy to carve. One just has to search for it.

Do you have any links for it at all. I am after two to three large cubes about 3ft square

not sure if it comes in cubes, but rigid insulation foam is most likely what your looking for, it comes in pink and blue depending on who makes it, and the thickest ive seen is 2 inches thick, you can get it any any house supplies store like lowes or home depot, a 4x8 sheet will cost you roughly 20 bucks

I found out you can also google:

EPS Foam and you'll be able to find what you need. Now I need to look for glue to stick it together.

Once I have info on the glue, I'll post as there is a lot of research for that.

I've had pretty good success using the pink sheet insulation you can purchase at Home Depot. It runs about $12-$20 for a 4' x 1-' sheet depending on the thickness you want (from 1/4" to 2").

It can be cut with a razor, jig saw or wire foam cutter and sanded with a palm sander or regular sandpaper. Spray adhesive works very well for layering it if you need a greater thickness (or to adhere it to itself). It does need to be sealed before it can be painted.

My latest project using it is a Boba Fett Jet pack (the tubing is PVC).
389378_4892040984972_609939530_n.jpg

My daughter and I also used it to build Jabba's Palace.
552524_4391673036086_193081613_n.jpg

425031_4452546157876_1574294704_n.jpg

Last edited:
Find yourself a supplier for sign companies.
They sell the thick high end stuff that is yellow or light green.
Some of them are as hard a rock.

Mostly used for 3D relief signs and architectural additions.

I've had pretty good success using the pink sheet insulation you can purchase at Home Depot. It runs about $12-$20 for a 4' x 1-' sheet depending on the thickness you want (from 1/4" to 2").

It can be cut with a razor, jig saw or wire foam cutter and sanded with a palm sander or regular sandpaper. Spray adhesive works very well for layering it if you need a greater thickness (or to adhere it to itself). It does need to be sealed before it can be painted.

My latest project using it is a Boba Fett Jet pack (the tubing is PVC).
389378_4892040984972_609939530_n.jpg

My daughter and I also used it to build Jabba's Palace.
552524_4391673036086_193081613_n.jpg

425031_4452546157876_1574294704_n.jpg

That's awesome matey. I live in the UK so we don't have those depo places but I have found a supplier and some other places online where it can be bought in the UK.

I do have some questions you may be able to help with, I would like some info on wire foam cutters and if they can also be multi functional, i.e.: can you have them so you can do fine work instead of just a wire cutter for example in this youtube video:

Hot Wire Foam Factory's Engraving Tool - YouTube

Also I would like to know more about these adhesives you mentioned as I need to fine one which is in-expensive and works well but also easy to get hold of as I have to have this project I'm working on finished and ready by the 12th Dec 2012.

Any and all help welcome.

Ps: if you have any ideas on paint. I just bought a sprayer so I presumed Acrylic paint, maybe mixed with latex (if that is possible)

Sorry, if I'd been paying attention I would have seen you weren't in the states.

218Gm%2BeAdvL._SL500_.jpg

My wire cutter I picked up at a hobby store for less than $20. I can use it for general shaping and rough cuts, but I can't get precision cuts -I need to do fine sanding to get everything cleaned up.

That video is very cool. I think you can accomplish roughly the same thing with a $10 soldering iron (not sure how much that cutting tool costs).

xprd85135_m.jpg

Spray adhesive should be cheap and easily accessible. Its sold in both hobby and home improvement stores -I think it runs about $6 for a can.

In the states we have something called Modge Podge -its typically used on jig saw puzzles (after they've been completed) so they can be hung/displayed. When wet it has the consistency of Elmers (white) glue and it dries hard and clear. It can also be lightly sanded.

Regarding paint, once sealed you can use almost any kind of paint (including spray paint). When I do air brushing I use acrylics and have no problems. I'm not sure what type of sprayer you purchased, but I'd be scared to add latex to the mix -it may clog your sprayer. I'm by no means an expert on paints, so maybe someone else can chime in.

Hope this answered your questions. Ping me if there is anything else I can do to help.

Last edited:
Is it possible to get in the UK?
Sorry I have no information on what is available in the UK, but as mentioned sign or plastic suppliers should carry it.

The one I visited here in California was a large warehouse type place.

Another thing you can look into is Balsa Foam.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back