Carving Foam

Sorry, if I'd been paying attention I would have seen you weren't in the states.

218Gm%2BeAdvL._SL500_.jpg

My wire cutter I picked up at a hobby store for less than $20. I can use it for general shaping and rough cuts, but I can't get precision cuts -I need to do fine sanding to get everything cleaned up.

That video is very cool. I think you can accomplish roughly the same thing with a $10 soldering iron (not sure how much that cutting tool costs).

xprd85135_m.jpg

Spray adhesive should be cheap and easily accessible. Its sold in both hobby and home improvement stores -I think it runs about $6 for a can.

In the states we have something called Modge Podge -its typically used on jig saw puzzles (after they've been completed) so they can be hung/displayed. When wet it has the consistency of Elmers (white) glue and it dries hard and clear. It can also be lightly sanded.

Regarding paint, once sealed you can use almost any kind of paint (including spray paint). When I do air brushing I use acrylics and have no problems. I'm not sure what type of sprayer you purchased, but I'd be scared to add latex to the mix -it may clog your sprayer. I'm by no means an expert on paints, so maybe someone else can chime in.

Hope this answered your questions. Ping me if there is anything else I can do to help.

Sorry I have no information on what is available in the UK, but as mentioned sign or plastic suppliers should carry it.

The one I visited here in California was a large warehouse type place.

Another thing you can look into is Balsa Foam.

I just pulled out one of the small sample sheets I have and it's called "Sign Foam"

Thanks for this information guys, I will be looking on ebay for a hot wire and I found in the UK I can get a spray adhesive called "3M 77"

3MSU77.jpg

Link for it is:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=3M+77&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&ei=OJmJUMObL9O00QWXwYH4BA#q=3M+77&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=OZmJUMfyBcHK0QXxqIG4BA&ved=0CFMQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=d392b33425803550&bpcl=35466521&biw=1437&bih=770

I'll add more info as I find it. Keep your info coming guys as it not only helps me but others looking for the same stuff

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back