Question about clear acrylic domes...

chewbaccadoll

Sr Member
So, I need two domes about 4" - 4 1/4" in diameter for a character prop costume's eyes. I've found them in many places, but at a high cost (min. $30-$40 a piece) which I want to avoid... except this one place. Kit Kraft:

Kit Kraft inc., Acrylic Domes and display boxes, 4" Clear dome

d_1179.jpg

Just wondering and ask all of you plastics experts, if I were to buy these, would I be able to file, sand down the nub on top and wet sand/ plastic polish it away so it's unnoticeable? I think the nub is only on the outside and is not a "dimple, like a gumball machine container.

Any suggestions? They have what I need, just not with a scuff mark where the nub was on top.

Any help is appreciated!

-K

hobby lobby/michael's sells 4" plastic ornament balls for 2.99 or 3.99...same problem but if your painting them , sanding and filling shouldn't be a problem.

And to answer the question: Yes, the 'nub' is where the sprue is cut during the injection molding process and can be sanded/polished to balance with the rest of the finnish.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back