Destination Moon helmet/costume project

stephen210

Sr Member
Here is the beginnings. I started this project for Mr. Bob Burns. As he told one of his holy grails. so here is were I am at.

Here is the master in works.

Once this is completed then on to the control panel.
More to come.

DMoon-78.jpg

DM_HELMET_EAR_PHONES_.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0026-1.jpg

IMG_0027-1.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

If you're looking for more reference these suits appear in an episode of I Love Lucy.

The one where Lucy and Ethel are paid to dress as aliens to promote a movie.

Last edited:
They were also used in an episode of "The Time Tunnel". In addition to reusing the spacesuits, they also used stock footage from DM.

David.

Steve, that looks GREAT! It came a long way from what you originally got in the mail!

Wowsers @stephen210. Love the Work you have put into it.
I came to this thread because I saw referrers from the link to my site (scifiblog.net) and just read the whole thread.

May I feature your project and pictures on my site? (feel free to message me - if you want to add in more comments...)

Cool Site, ScifiMan. We can talk.
I spent about a year on and off trying to find a company that would or could do the blow mold for the squashed sphere. No luck then on evil Ebay I found a vintage Western clear helmet that had been stored with something stacked on eather side ofthe dome(squashed flat on both sides) not good.
It was the correct shape and more than likely made by the same company that did the original helmets. So I made a splash off one of the good sides and reformed the helmet back. Any idea how much sanding one has to do to get a smooth surface. Ye Gads.
I am going to use Task15 from Smooth on to make the one for Bob. it is the ping pong ball color the originals were and is very strong.
Love the vintage stuff.
Steve

IMG00455.jpg

Quite an interesting bit of serendipity (and a lot of work)! As always, you produce cracking helmets.

I look forward to seeing this develop.

I concur with Mr. Young. Gorgeous work.

Was the neck ring turned at a machine shoppe or cut from an aluminium pipe?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back