TRON Flynn's Lamp

Close but wrong lamp shade.

We own this lamp. The base is different (it does not have a human figure) and we have seen other bases online with different designs--one looks like a tree. Our lamp does match the base, however--they have the same number etched into the metal.

It is a very cool lamp. We believe it is an H. J. Peters Chicago slag glass lamp. I joined this forum just to post the picture because there seemed to be an interest. Check out the close-up photo--great detail in that metal.

View attachment 205342View attachment 205343

--Steve

Yeah the HJ Peter's one is really close but not the right one. Great substitute though since it's probably easier to find :< Looks more detailed/nicer too but of course it's not accurate...

I have this lamp in its original finish. I just stumbled across this discussion and thought I'd share mine - it's extremely hard to locate or find any information for it, and there are similar looking lamp shades that are easier to find but aren't quite the same. I've seen it listed with descriptions like 'artcraft slag glass lamp' and '"rebecca at the well" figural lamp' which may turn up a few examples from time to time for anyone searching online.

flynnslamp.jpg

swanba nice. Did that base originally come with the lamp? I had to find the base to my lamp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jedifyfe no, I acquired them separately as you did - the base through an Etsy seller, and the shade on Ebay. I did tons of searching over several months and only ever saw the base listed twice, and the shade once. Each was paired with other random lamp parts. This leads me to think that they may never have been sold as paired in the movie. Meanwhile in the real world...yours is the only other accurate lamp I've seen. :thumbsup

swanba Ok thanks. I agree. This shade is. EXTREMELY hard to find. I was somewhat hopeful that mine might have been the one in the movie since I bought it at the Rose Bowl swap meet in Pasadena. Since it's a fairly rare shade and Tron was filmed next to Pasadena in Burbank. I don't believe it is though. The original lamp is probably destroyed or in a huge set dressing warehouse.

Jedifyfe Actually I had a similar thought about the lamp base I acquired since the seller operated her Etsy vintage/antique store out of Hollywood and these things are so hard to find. You're probably right about the original, but as a massive Tron fan I hope it's out there somewhere.

I have this lamp in its original finish. I just stumbled across this discussion and thought I'd share mine - it's extremely hard to locate or find any information for it, and there are similar looking lamp shades that are easier to find but aren't quite the same. I've seen it listed with descriptions like 'artcraft slag glass lamp' and '"rebecca at the well" figural lamp' which may turn up a few examples from time to time for anyone searching online.

View attachment 732213

I still haven't pulled the trigger on putting the lamp base and shade together yet. Over the time, I've seen a handful of bases. Some with different finishes. But none with concrete brand names. The shades seem to be more expensive and difficult to match. It's good to see the topic going again though.

After trying to get the lamp and base for over 5 years, I finally have them. Thanks to this thread, Brad and Ben, my friend that hunts at flea markets regularly.

Ben sent me a link to the lampshade on eBay where it was being sold as a hanging lamp. I figured it was larger than the one from the film, but thought it would be better than nothing. Got it, measured it and Brad measured his and they were the same. A nice surprise.

Brad also helped me with a better eBay search phrase to find the correct base, which turned up two of the bases. I was using "Lamp Base Art Figural", which found neither of the two his term "Metal Woman Art Lamp" found. One had a different finial than the lamp base Brad has, one had the same as Brad's, which since that makes two with that finial, I assumed it's the one that was sold with this base.

My base came with a different bulb setup, so I had to go to a lamp repair shop to get a 10-1/2" tall harp to set the correct shade height, and convert it to a single bulb, make special foot pads so it wouldn't mar the wood it's displayed on, wash off the dust on the base, but otherwise it was a pretty quick assembly.

Here it is all complete.

lamp-finished.jpg

Having done some further research there have been a number of examples of the shade being used as a hanging lamp. It is a pretty heavy and awkward assembly as a lamp. But good to know if you find it as that kind of lamp.

I never found anything to identify the base manufacturer.

The lampshade was $340 plus shipping and the base was $75 plus shipping. I was surprised the shade arrived safe as it is really fragile, and in my case, wasn't packed as well as it really should have been considering this.

Here's some photos of the pieces. As stated before, the shade is a Slag Glass Lamp made by ARTCRAFT (That's a good search phrase). You can even see where the word ARTCRAFT is located in one of the film screen captures.

lamp-shade-outside.jpg

lamp-shade-inside.jpg

lamp-support.jpg

lamp-base.jpg

lamp-artcraft.jpg

lamp-film-artcraft.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back