Sculpty baking (the right way)

Very informative thread. Thanks for starting this one! Reading all of these this and tricks is making me want to break out my box o' Sculpey this weekend.

heres what happened..visually :p

BEFORE

36452_10150197537170174_664455173_13197468_1193102_n.jpg

AFTER

20835_10150198707230174_664455173_13227951_91277_n.jpg

Base got warped and it got all burnt everywhere else...after priming it with a grey primer its not so bad..except for the base

turn him into a scarecrow from wizard of oz :lol

Another boiling question...

I used a hockey mask as my armature, does anyone know if I can boil my mask? Or will it warp or melt.

im intrigued about the boiling method , i use prosculpt anybody know if it will harden when boiled like sculpy , im a beginner at this so tips would be appreciated , this thread has been very helpfull

When I started using Sculpey I thought will it cure if I put the piece in a pot of boiling water? so I made a test piece and threw it in for about 10 minutes drained the water and WA-LA! it worked. Many times I put a piece n the oven set the wrong temp or just plain forgot it was in the oven and WA-LA a well done burnt bubbly piece Lol, but the boiling trick does work.

I have a bad habit of forgetting i'm boiling it and end up with the smoke alarms going off lol. The downside to boiling is that some stuff, such as action figures, you have to do a little at a time to let the plastic reset or it'll warp and melt so you do it in 3-5 minute intervals then let it cool. Also for some reason boiling it seems to make sculpty shrink unlike when you bake it. Also don't use any pans you cook in, i know it's common sense but you never know.
If there is nothing inside the item i just boil the heck out of it. I stir it around and poke at it with the handle of a wooden spoon and once it feels solid i take it out. It's one of those things where you have to play it by ear depending on how thick it is. I think the biggest thing I ever boiled was a human eyeball. I cured my Fallout ghoul with a heatgun which wasn't the best way but it added some neat details via the heat.

ray you mean just in the water ...no bag ?
Yup straight in the boiling water it won't absorb any now I did this for smaller pieces not wanting to fire up an oven in the middle of summer, but I guess it would work in a bag also but don't see the point.

ray you mean just in the water ...no bag ?

I just put the piece in boiling water. It's only in the oven that i use the oven bags.
A really good safety tip is :
Use a sauce pan that you will never EVER again use for food. I bought myself a couple different sizes from a second-hand store and keeps them away from my food pans.

We are like the Borg here ,the collective all our minds are linked, Resistance is futile you will be assimilated, Lol glad it worked for you reddawg.

When I started using Sculpey I thought will it cure if I put the piece in a pot of boiling water? so I made a test piece and threw it in for about 10 minutes drained the water and WA-LA! it worked. Many times I put a piece n the oven set the wrong temp or just plain forgot it was in the oven and WA-LA a well done burnt bubbly piece Lol, but the boiling trick does work.

I've seen a video where someone has done it with this particular method up on YouTube. But, I can't seem to find it anywhere, but I did see this. The user who made it said that its a safe method, especially with action figure customs that have the sculpt on the plastic.

I've read a thread on another site about boiling; it has a lot of good info in it:

Boiling sculpey - Statue Forum

I did boil a small test piece of Super Sculpey Firm myself, and it turned out rock solid, no cracks. If I ever actually finish the mini-bust I'm sculpting, I plan on boiling it!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back