Warehouse 13 - Claudia's (Farnsworth's) Farnsworth

Kylash

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Alright, screen capture finding time! Anyone know when the new episode may be available on Hulu or Syfy's site, or happen to DVR it?

Re: W13 - Claudia's (Farnsworth's) Farnsworth

Alright, screen capture finding time! Anyone know when the new episode may be available on Hulu or Syfy's site, or happen to DVR it?

It'll probably hit iTunes tomorrow. I got the Season Pass so if no one else gets one, I'll grab it when the download becomes available.

it's almost funny how complex it looked, almost like a challenge to us because we figured out the first one :p

you should be able to watch it online tomorrow or the next. I will look to see about season one and burning it :)

Re: Farnsworth's Farnsworth! Spoiler

Took this with my cellphone.

81899398.jpg

FB

Why do I think that someone making the show saw the threads here and are ****ing with us?

Like, oh sure, try this one.

That would be awesome.

Looks like Warehouse 13 got a higher budget....An even more customized Farnsworth.

BTW, the text on the inner door is called ECKMAN.

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

Last edited:

Just saw the episode and really enjoyed when they broke this one out. Looks really cool and distinctive.

I love the props on this show.

I haven´t seen the episode yet, and I like the overall idea and design. A lot!

What I do not like is the execution of the decorative graphical elements.
I can only guess, but they are meant to be art nouveau, right ?
They look more like doodles than anything else, and not like those organic floral designs typical of that time.

Especially the small element on the right side beneath the screen looks totally misplaced. Those elements were, when used in graphics or on pottery or furniture or in buildings to frame and compliment things. The elements on the Farnsworth look just tacked on, floating around freely in the overall design, not really connected to the other elements.

EDIT: What DS wrote, I checked out Eckmann and to no surprise it´s of course a classical Art Nouveau/Jugendstil font

http://www.linotype.com/de/382-856/worksandsamples.html?lang=de

Good idea, but not executed well enough. A bit research would have IMO gone a long way :\

The sad thing is that there are tons of pre-made decorative elements available for all vector graphics packages such as Corel Draw, or as collections and I am pretty sure available as downloads as well.

But I don´t want to be too hard on the guys, I am sure that it´s, like so much on such a show, a balance between the 2wants" and the "can" and "can´ts" of the art department/props people. Maybe they had a much more elaborate design in mind but no time to translate it? maybe they did not have the time to do graphics design and just asked the guy who did the laser etching to come up with decorative elements while he was setting everything up? Or they noticed that there was something missing and they decided to quickly go back and add something? Who knows... still a bit sad.

The very first prop that to me is a great concept but falls flat in execution :(

A Jules Verne communicator ! It can´t become any more classical!

Maybe I better go get my pills...

Naaah, I am sure that once I´ve seen the episode that prop will just grow on me...

Last edited:

Those floral designs could be from scrap booking decorations

Even then they´d be more accurate than they are now.
No, I think they just did them freehand :(

But alas, I´ll stop the %&§$%"ing, it will still be a great project to reproduce !!!

I merged the two threads and expanded the title for better recognition.

Now, research !!!

just rewatched the scene several times and noticed a few things-

The little filigree designs are raised and seem to be made from thin brass wire embellishments (or as Contec said above, brass scrapbook filigree designs).
Im guessing they were custom made using a cheap wire embellishment kit like this one -
http://reviews.ebay.com/How-To-Make-Wire-Jewelry-and-Embellishments_W0QQugidZ10000000002985445

The copper wiring ( and the brass wiring) seems to be submerged halfway into the surface of the Farnsworth door.... Looks like they they poured clear resin first and then laid the copper and brass wire on top.
After the resin is dry, it holds the copper and brass wires in place.

Also, the rubber tubing coming out of the suction cup looks like the rubber tubing used in hospitals for takng blood pressure.
Medical_Tubing.jpg

The speaker looks like the mesh found on those old handheld tape recorder microphones.
shure-sm57.jpg

Suction cup possibly an iphone repair suction cup -
small_suction_cup.jpg

The antenna thing on top might be a brass threaded rod, or a brass cable connector.
threaded-brass-rod.jpg

Not sure how they did the gold lettering. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Well it could be they've simply written the words on a polished copper/brass plate with wax then painted it with a black paint and carefully removed it where the wax was leaving very bright "gold" lettering coming through. Then buffed it and gloss coated the whole thing.

However it does look more like the writing of the "Farnsworth" logo and the swirls in the corners are done with fine copper wire which is shaped and then set onto the surface after painting black. Then the whole thing has been gloss or resin coated to protect everything.

In fact I think all of the decorative swirls have been made from copper wire.

Not sure how they did the gold lettering. Any ideas?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back