QMX Enterprise?

Lets say I built you the same model for oh...1500? Many would still complain. But lets look at it again, realistically.

I would put in well over 100 hours. I don't know how they can do the same unless they have an assembly line in China. I know it says made in USA but that's what it says.

So lets say 100 hours for the hell of it. That's 15 dollars an hour and after taxes that's less than 10. Count off the paint and materials, lights and we knock off another 150 at the least.

So that's 850 for almost three weeks of work. That's about 250 a week. 56 a day. For skilled work and craftsmanship.

Now I live in LA. My mortgage is 2000 grand a month, Water and power 700 (every 2 months), I'll stop there because there's a lot more. Working for this kind of money to produce a beautiful high end model is what's unreasonable here. I don't know how Qmx does it to be frank and their price is a bargain if it's as good as they say.

Steve

Well said.

So get out the tools and build your own.

Steve

:lol Good one!

That return shipping should be picked up by the supplier, no quibbles, the buyer should never be out of pocket for ANY inferior quality in work.
Not saying it will be inferior, or have faults, but, the customer should never foot that kind of bill.

lee

Exactly.

Thing is, it wouldnt take any form of elaborate armature to support her, some plexi, hell even brass rod, just a simply form of assurance, its not going to go south on the buyer.
I wouldnt in any way shape or form rely on stanalone resin holding all that in even a moderate climate, the ol' resin ROTJ ATST, which had a LOT of beefy resin in the legs even sagged over a short time.
I hope they havent pinned it all on plain resin supports, that is going to ruin what im sure will be a very pretty model.

lee

Talk about a deal breaker! That's terrible news. Can't believe there is/would not be an armature. I would never buy such a big model without one. What would it have cost to include one, $200-$300 more? Well worth it.

Last edited:
I have received the followowing info from QMX:

"As for the saucer and the nacelles, there is extra support in the internal structure, however the resin that we are using for this replica is very sturdy and has not had any issues with sagging."

I am reading, that they have an extra support. But what exactly does "however" mean in this context? With the info posted here I am getting a little confused. Hmmm...

I wouldn't worry about it until someone orders one.

Are they even offered yet?

Does QMx ever get high end stuff done.

Let's not put the cart before the horse.

But resin re-cast PL, jeez. Not even an injection molded kit. That's just stupid.

Does QMx ever get high end stuff done.
YES, they do.
I have the Blackbird, Viper Mark II (all 3 versions), Serenity and MF-813 Flying Mule. Every replica I have received from QMX is fantastic. My experience with their customers service is outstanding (100% perfect). In my opinion, their delivery times are fair too (approx 8 weeks after mailing the customization options for the serenity and the viper fleet edition the replicas were sent).
So from my personal experience I do recommend their products.

P.S.: For me, just because a private person can offer a better build up for less money does not necessarily mean that a commercially offered licenced replica is bad. In addition, for me comparisons with private builders or other companies are difficult. I have read many people complaining about the quality of the replicas produced by some other companies. Some people want a smaller more affordable model, other peaople are willing to spend more money for an "ultimate" - near perfect model. Now QMX has put the bar regarding quality for licenced products higher and need to ask for a higher price. Nobody is forcing me to accept their offer and buy heir products. So I am happy that I have this high end option.

WOW!! Admitted "recast". And why the hell are they not banned from this and every board? Is there a double standard going on here? Does the finished "model" come with a letter from Round 2 saying they are OK with this?

Again RECAST!!!!! :eek
George :confused

Recast alarms me, details will be lost or at least distorted. Resin is heavy and known to warp/sag/droop over time if not JUST right so that worries me. The lack of an armature just scares the he'll out ofme.....not sure what "extra support" means when contrasted with the response I received...though I did specify metal/aluminum....so if they have some other material (no idea what that'd be....) then I guess it'd not be a complete contradiction....... I'll keep asking. I want this to be an amazing reproduction whether or not I can cough up the 5k and remain married.......

Tib

WOW!! Admitted "recast". And why the hell are they not banned from this and every board? Is there a double standard going on here? Does the finished "model" come with a letter from Round 2 saying they are OK with this?

Again RECAST!!!!! :eek
George :confused

As I understand it, licensing allows vendors to "copy/borrow" from each other. The DST prop toys were copied from HMS, the STTE communicator and squirt gun phaser were copied from Master Replicas, etc.

The price on this makes that gold Next Generation Enterprise from a while back seem reasonable. I wonder how that one held up over time. Anyway, this is far too much for me most likely. I've heard the nightmare stories too about models collapsing because of lack of internal support structure. I wouldn't risk it at this price range.

Ive waited my entire life for a company to make this prop... And I guess you could consider me a serious collector of high end (model) prop replicas.. just to give you an idea, I have:
MR M.Falcon
MR Speeder
MR AT-AT
MR enterprise
EFX X-wing (please keep your opinions to yourself as I actually like mine:lol)
tons of other MR stuff too...

But this FIVE GRAND price point is totally ridiculous and I will never buy into this.:thumbsdown.
The whole point of licensing a product is to bring the price down of manufacturing the product in relatively large qantities (economies of scale). I understand that QMX does not "assembly line" these, like MR/EFX did on their ENT.. But at a 5 grand price point, I dont see what the advantage of QMX offering this is.. I would much rather give my money to have a proven polar lights custom ENT made, in the 2-3.5k neighborhood. (Which I have been quoted a few times). Also keep in mind, that even at the 2-3 neighborhood, I would expect QMX to beat that by at least a small margin, since they are producing these in decent qtys. Otherwise, what is the point?

I really like the QMX phaser I just picked up, and it gave me hope they could offer higher end replicas at reasonable price points. I would be surprised if they sell 10 of them to a few desperate and crazy fans.:thumbsdown

Last edited:
I need to search around a bit but can anyone quickly answer this question?

Are there differences between the Motion Picture Enterprise and the Wrath of Khan Enterprise models?

Are there differences between the Motion Picture Enterprise and the Wrath of Khan Enterprise models?

I can tell you that some of the footage from Wrath of Khan was recycled from TMP.... especially the space dock sequence... so in those shots no

They were the same model of course, and some TMP shots were re used. Most of the WOK shots were done with a clear flat spray on the model, to reduce blue spill. They didn't use blue screen on TMP so the reflective finish wasn't a concern.

And ILM added the battle damage to the ship, by gluing foil to the model and painting it black, then peeling it up to look like damaged hull plating. This all had to be scraped off and repainted for TVH.

By the time TUC was made, the ship's finish was just flat white and gray panels.

As usual there's been a lack of further information on this product beyond what we've managed to get out of their customer service line, always a minimum of information. I'm not convinced that they've got a final plan with which to go forward as yet.

I'd be interested to know how many JJ-prise models were ordered and how many have been delivered as yet. There will be no 2nd Unobtainium incident for me, I've been fooled once. Also, you should've seen the look on my wife's face when I told her the price and that I'd been considering it.

Tib (staying married one way or another!) :)

You're all throwing rocks at the moon. QMx won't lower the price. They won't give out anymore information than necessary. They will sell the run and make their money. The next model will be the same.

Don't misunderstand me, I think they can charge whatever they think people will pay, that's their affair. Keeping your customers in the dark, however, doesn't encourage many folks to make the investment, however. In my opinion.

Tib

You're all throwing rocks at the moon. QMx won't lower the price. They won't give out anymore information than necessary. They will sell the run and make their money. The next model will be the same.

Exactly right.

The model is too rich for my blood, though. Especially if it will not have a metal internal structure. We will have to see about that issue. But the bottom line is that they will sell out on this. There will be plenty of fans that will pay the price to own it.

I can tell you that some of the footage from Wrath of Khan was recycled from TMP.... especially the space dock sequence... so in those shots no

They were the same model of course, and some TMP shots were re used. Most of the WOK shots were done with a clear flat spray on the model, to reduce blue spill. They didn't use blue screen on TMP so the reflective finish wasn't a concern.

And ILM added the battle damage to the ship, by gluing foil to the model and painting it black, then peeling it up to look like damaged hull plating. This all had to be scraped off and repainted for TVH.

By the time TUC was made, the ship's finish was just flat white and gray panels.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm tempted to go find my VHS copy of TMP. Or maybe I'll just hold off till I upgrade my setup and enjoy it on Blu-ray. I barely remember the movie so it should be a fresh experience when I see it again. I do love Wrath of Khan. I have two or three versions of that one!

Now to find info on that gold Enterprise D model. Which was like $1500 or $2000 back in the day...

As an employee at QMx, I'm pretty much calling shenanigans on all of the supposition, speculation and rumor about how the Star Trek Artisan Enterprise Refit is being made, what it's made of and if it'll stand up over time.

Because it IS rumor, speculation and supposition.

A few other things to note, from our description:

"It takes our artisans about 100 hours to hand assemble the styrene, resin, acrylic, brass and MDF parts that go into this legendary starship, hand applying 26 different paints, and adding special decals and hand-painted stencils.

As with all QMx Artisan replicas, the Enterprise Refit is made to order in the U.S. Not only does this allow us to offer you a replica of great intricacy and beauty, it also allows you to make your Enterprise Refit uniquely your own."

100 man hours. That's 50 dollars an hour even if all you consider is the man hours involved. Without including things like licensing fees, parts, and a variety of other factors. Additionally, Artisan products have a lifetime warranty, are hand made to order and the run itself is limited to 250 units.

And, the "nacelle sag" fears? There's a 5 year old prototype in my bosses office. Nothing on that baby sags.

We had a number of people drop by and see her up close at SDCC, including some world famous prop, model and creature makers -- And we were told more than once by those same professionals that the price was more than fair. In fact, maybe it was too low ;-)

Oh and, there is now a battle damaged variant and video on the info page.

Last edited:
That was an incredibly long post that did absolutely nothing to address the issues. You call shenanigans without actually refuting anything thats been said! Heres an idea: if youre going to post in response to what people are sayng how about doing so with information instead of a simple 'nya nya nya, you dont know". You mention pros in the industry without names and you mention a 5 year old 'prototype' that I pretty much GUARANTEE is ALSO a Polar Lights/recast. Your post did absolutely nothing to affect anyones pre-existing opinion about this project, pro or con and most certainly sidestepped the pertinent questions as to the source of this model. I call shenanigans and raise you a 'bad spin' attempt.

As an employee at QMx, I'm pretty much calling shenanigans on all of the supposition, speculation and rumor about how the Star Trek Artisan Enterprise Refit is being made, what it's made of and if it'll stand up over time.

Because it IS rumor, speculation and supposition.

A few other things to note, from our description:

"It takes our artisans about 100 hours to hand assemble the styrene, resin, acrylic, brass and MDF parts that go into this legendary starship, hand applying 26 different paints, and adding special decals and hand-painted stencils.

As with all QMx Artisan replicas, the Enterprise Refit is made to order in the U.S. Not only does this allow us to offer you a replica of great intricacy and beauty, it also allows you to make your Enterprise Refit uniquely your own."

100 man hours. That's 50 dollars an hour even if all you consider is the man hours involved. Without including things like licensing fees, parts, and a variety of other factors. Additionally, Artisan products have a lifetime warranty, are hand made to order and the run itself is limited to 250 units.

And, the "nacelle sag" fears? There's a 5 year old prototype in my bosses office. Nothing on that baby sags.

We had a number of people drop by and see her up close at SDCC, including some world famous prop, model and creature makers -- And we were told more than once by those same professionals that the price was more than fair. In fact, maybe it was too low ;-)

Oh and, there is now a battle damaged variant and video on the info page.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back