best place for casting supplies?

Wes R

Legendary Member
All i have found is supplies in small batches for way too much. Does anyone know where i can get a good deal on resin and rtv for making molds? I'm in the middle of nowhere so there isn't anyone close that carries it even in small casting packages.

I've been using smooth-on Products personally, they have a list of locations on their site | U.S. Stocking Distributors

I've used Reynoldsam (fl) before using Theengineerguy (local for me in GA), both are good, but there appears to be one in PA thats closer to you. They should carry larger sizes (gallon & up)

I've been getting the stuff from micromark but its super expensive and you only get 1 lbs for 40.00. A buddy gave me some stuff he got at michael's but its 25.00 (i like it as its 10 parts of the mold material for 1 of the activator) but nearest michaels is nearl y2 hours round trip. i'll check out smooth on.

Try GI-1000 Silicone RTV from Circle K products. They're in the LA area. A gallon kit is about $130.

For urethane, try Vagabond Industries in Ranchita CA. I think that's where they are now. They have a variety of formulas and sell in small and large quantities.

There's also Burman industries. Burmanfoam.com

How much and what are you looking for? Silicone, casting resin, rubber? If you are looking for 5 gallon buckets there are different options vs pint bottles...

Smooth On has a great selection and is a great one stop place, but there are a ton of independent or smaller distributors out there offering comparable products at lower prices, but are generally not on stop shop for everything...

If you are looking for small quantities, I suggest this to everyone...

Browse your local paper for Michael's, Jo-Ann, or Hobby Lobby 40-60% off coupons one of those chains almost always has one in the paper, if not Hobby Lobby rotates a 40% of any item on there site for about 3 out of 4 weeks each month...

This week it's a 3d scrap book coupon but it's usually any item, check back Monday...
Weekly In-Store Specials : Hobby Lobby - Hobby Lobby

Take any of the above coupons to your local Hobby Lobby if there is one, they carry a small selection of Alumilite resins and silicones, and with the 40% or more off you can get a great deal on low volume purchases... Hobby Lobby will honor the Michael's or Jo-Ann coupons if you have them...

Yeah only one item at a time but it's easy enough to bring a friend and you each use a coupon or simply walk out to your car, drop it off and go back in for another purchase a little later...

On a last note, not all products are created equal, and price is NOT always the determining factor on quality... The more you play and experiment the more familiar you will get with said products, you might find that the dirt cheap stuff from you local plastics supplier is perfect for one application, while another product works better for a different application...

How much and what are you looking for? Silicone, casting resin, rubber? If you are looking for 5 gallon buckets there are different options vs pint bottles...

Smooth On has a great selection and is a great one stop place, but there are a ton of independent or smaller distributors out there offering comparable products at lower prices, but are generally not on stop shop for everything...

If you are looking for small quantities, I suggest this to everyone...

Browse your local paper for Michael's, Jo-Ann, or Hobby Lobby 40-60% off coupons one of those chains almost always has one in the paper, if not Hobby Lobby rotates a 40% of any item on there site for about 3 out of 4 weeks each month...

This week it's a 3d scrap book coupon but it's usually any item, check back Monday...
Weekly In-Store Specials : Hobby Lobby - Hobby Lobby

Take any of the above coupons to your local Hobby Lobby if there is one, they carry a small selection of Alumilite resins and silicones, and with the 40% or more off you can get a great deal on low volume purchases... Hobby Lobby will honor the Michael's or Jo-Ann coupons if you have them...

Yeah only one item at a time but it's easy enough to bring a friend and you each use a coupon or simply walk out to your car, drop it off and go back in for another purchase a little later...

On a last note, not all products are created equal, and price is NOT always the determining factor on quality... The more you play and experiment the more familiar you will get with said products, you might find that the dirt cheap stuff from you local plastics supplier is perfect for one application, while another product works better for a different application...

That's a great deal. We don't have a Hobby Lobby around here, but the Alumilite is great stuff. It seems to be a little pricier than some of the other decent materials that can be purchased in bulk, but with the coupon I wouldn't hesitate to use it and Hobby Lobbies are pretty widespread.
:thumbsup

Actually i have some alumilite, my buddy gave it to me but i ran out of activator and i don't think i can buy it seperately and they never got back to me when i emailed to find out. Shame as i have half a container and a ton of molds to make. I'll look into all these. I appreciate all the help.

I get silicone from IASCO/TESCO. For a pound it's $25 and some change. index Do not buy resin from them! It's past it's shelf life and once they admitted they knew it.

I get my resin from Vagabond as it's cheaper than Smooth-On.

I tried AeroMarines white odorless resin the same day it arrived by UPS and it was spoiled. :confused

I tried AeroMarines white odorless resin the same day it arrived by UPS and it was spoiled. :confused

Define 'spoiled' I have used resin that I opened 6-12 months ago and it has worked fine... It's not something I plan to do but sometimes I will pre-tint a small batch of resin for a project and when done I set it aside and forget about it... Then when I need to do a quicky one off casting or what not for myself I use those old ones, never a problem, generally the only issue I have found is that they need to be stirred and mixed back up...

Iasco got my attention since they have plastic for vacuforming too.

Their sheet styrene is nice but ask them to look and see what is available before you pay for it. They are polite but the owners seem to live in the late '70's to early '80's in that they have computers but they are not used to record accurate inventory listings. I typically ask them to look at the stock and see what is available on any item since if you don't they won't tell you while you are on the phone and send you what they have with a note that they will send the rest when they get it in. Don't get me wrong. They are not trying to cheat you, just their out of date and kinda half butted way of doing things.

Define 'spoiled' I have used resin that I opened 6-12 months ago and it has worked fine
I have used resin for years. I ordered a sample saying I was shopping for a new resin supplyer. I asked that they be sure it was fresh. The day it arrived I shook the two bottles to mix the contents and waitied about 15 minutes for bubbles to clear. Made sure it wasn't too hot or too cold to ensure proper mixing. Stirred it adequately clockwise, couterclockwise, and zigzag yet it was still sweating oil. I have used Vagabond 36xxx for over a decade and while it smells bad it's reliable like blue jeans and cost effective.

I began my molding and casting venture with Smooth-On's sample kit. It used to only be $36 plus shipping. If it's still there, I highly recommend it. I made 15 saber kits with it, and needless to say they paid for the kit many times over.

I'll go see if it is and post a link if so.

EDIT - The packaging has changed a bit, and the price is a little higher, but you truly can make a profit and gain great experience by buying this:

http://www.smooth-on.com/Getting-Started-Po/c4_1217/index.html?catdepth=1

Last edited:
I appreciate all the help. The experience is what i need, my 2 part molds haven't been a success lol. I need to get a pressure pot (i cast action figure parts too). Why oh why can't i have cheap hobbies.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back