How to make gloss.....matte ?

IFA

Sr Member
Hi all.

As the title says, how can I change a Humbrol enamel paint which is glossy, in a matte color ???
By adding some thinner ???

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Re: How to make gloss.....matt ?

Hit it with Testor's Dullcoat afterwards. Can get at Michael's or any hobby store that sells Testor's spraypaints.

I'm not sure what color Matt is. Can't you just buy the matte color instead of gloss?

Is the color you are using ONLY available in gloss as opposed to flat? Most flat paints are easier to paint then gloss ones. If it is acrylic (such as Tamiya brand) then a flat base can be added to the paint to make it more matte. Otherwise, a clearcoat over the top is about the only way to go to my knowledge as I am not sure what can be added to enamel paint to flatten it.

As for durability of a clearcoat, that will typically depend on how fast it is shot on. If somebody tries to soup down the surface in one pass, it may have some cracking issues. If it is built up slowly, it works better. Beauty of flat clear coats though is that typically even a light first pass will do the job of flattening the surface. It is a lot easier to flatten a glossy surface then it is to gloss a flat surface. Try using gloss on flat paints and it usually absorbs the clearcoat like a sponge, meaning more coats have to be used.

As for bonding issues, a hobby strength lacquer clearcoat such as Testors Dullcote will bond just fine with enamels and not be too hot to damage the paint. In fact, many of the clearcoats I've seen sold with enamel paint lines seem to be lacquer based as opposed to enamel based. I have seen enamel based gloss clear coats, but not flat enamel ones.

Of course, gloss has its advantages. For instance, if you are putting decals on, they will stick and look better over a gloss surface then over a flat one. Then they look even better when clearcoated over the top.

Last edited:

Golden_matte%20medium%20groot.jpg

I always keep these guys close in reach :)

I use Model Master Flat Clear Lacquer Finish, and it's always served me well. I airbrush the stuff on (about 50-50 clear flat and lacquer thinner) in at least 2 coats- it produces a real nice, real flat finish.

Good Luck!

Are you using an airbrush or rattle can??

FB

FB, as it is a little piece, I'm painting it with a paintbrush using a little can of enamel...

I'm not sure what color Matt is. Can't you just buy the matte color instead of gloss?

that was my goal but I didn't found the correct color in matte !!!

Many thanks for your answers guys. Will try to buy a "add-on" product.

I found a brand called Mr. Hobby that offers an acrylic flat clearcoat in a rattle can. It works great at flattening gloss (more than one coat is neccessary), though I've only used it on other acrylics. I was using it on a vinyl model & so was afraid to use an enamel flat clearcoat because of the potential reaction with the vinyl. Took me a while to track down an acrylic flat clearcoat in a rattle can (i don't have an air brush).

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back