Apollo Lunar Mission TV Camera Replicas

Dstevenb

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on here and I am glad I found this forum.

I am a space historian and was hoping I could find someone who may be interested in building replicas (non working, of course) props of the Apollo TV Cameras. In particular I'd would be interested in the Westinghouse B&W lunar surface camera, and the RCA Ground Controlled Television Assembly.

I have recently written a book detailing the development and use of the cameras, and would love to have replicas to display. I have many many photos for reference, plus some low grade buleprints. I am ashamed to admit I can't build models to save my life.

If you follow the website link on my profile you'll see a few pictures of all the cameras used.

Many thanks

Dwight

This sounds like a great project.
Will definitely check out your site for some pictures.
I can't make models to save my life either but there are a lot of talented members who I'm sure will help.

Neil

Thanks for the interest. Yes I forgot I encoded the pics only as thumbnails - mainly because they are also in the book and I didnt want to put sales at a disadvantage by having them full res just yet.

Well with good photos and basic blue prints, there are many members on here that could make you some very fine replicas... That info is of far greater value than fuzzy screen grabs from a DVD but even that has produced great looking builds from members here...

OK the first camera is the remote controlled GCTA RCA TV Camera which was used on Apollo 15-17.
RCA_GCTA.jpg

RCS_GCTA2.jpg

gcta_spec.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the pictures. I think they'll help sales more than hurt, I certainly have your book on my list now.

Looking at it, I want to say "Where's the lightweight version for flight?", and I know that this IS the 'lightweight' version...

I think that the shortest path to a nice display might be to create a paper model. If parts of the photos are printed on the paper as realistic textures, you'd end up with a nice looking display. If I'm remembering right there are lots of paper modelers here.

The general idea is to make a simple 3D model of the object's shape, usually making separate models of the different parts. Google makes a free app called SketchUp that is very easy to make models with. Then, there is an app called Pepakura Designer that takes a 3D model, and 'unwraps' it into a printable paper kit. As far as I know Pepakura is also free.

Connecting the two is a plug-in for SketchUp that exports in Pepakura format. A Google search ought to turn it up. After that, you print, cut, and glue.

Thanks for the tip TotalFforge. I will look into the paper model aspect as I was not aware 3d could be extracted like that from pictures.

Thanks for the tip TotalFforge. I will look into the paper model aspect as I was not aware 3d could be extracted like that from pictures.

You still have to make the 3D model, which is easier if you can live without obsessive detail. Mostly you draw shapes, then extrude them to a desired thickness.

You texture the model with parts of the photos, like model kit decals, so when you print the paper model it looks nicer.

For example, in Google's '3D warehouse' library of 3D objects, there are lots of models of tall buildings. Many of them are just a box - with photos of the side of the building pasted on.

There are many videos on how to use Sketchup, both in the app itself, and on Youtube.

BTW, assuming you have a Windows computer, you can get all the free tools needed - 100% legitimate non-pirate free stuff, at a site called Ninite Easy PC Setup - Silent Unattended Install Multiple Programs At Once. Just scroll down, check the items you want, (paint.net, or 'GIMP' are suggested) and you can download a custom installer for them in moments. I've used it many times and never had any problems.

SketchUp is found at Google SketchUp.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back