Finally, my Alien Motion Tracker Build Thread - Finished pics, post 56

Re: Finally, my Alien Motion Tracker Build Thread!

Well as soon as ones located I can mold and Cast them no problem, Its the search thats the hard part!!

Richie

Loving the build so far. :cool

A thought on the ice cube tray.

My old gran used to have an all metal ice tray which had the same looking underside. If an accurate plastic one cannot be found maybe this could be an avenue to explore?

I've investigated all kinds of ice trays, believe me :lol

I've not seen a metal tray that resembles the plastic ones. All the ones I've seen have flat bottoms, and separate metal dividers inside. I'm not sure whether the classic plastic design would be too effective with the metal ones - wouldn't it be tough to get the cubes out?

FWIW, I found a tray with a very similar profile to the one used, including the stacking feet, the lack of 'pour holes' and the lip that runs right round. Unfortunateley it was a good deal too large :(

Richie pretty much nailed the problem with id'ing parts from old props like this. If the part isn't on the outside, it's very hard to find corroboration. I went through the same thing with the CRT tube, and Steve with the the screen section, which we think is from the viewfinder of an old pro video recorder.

If you get lucky, you might stumble across a pic on some obscure old website, otherwise it remains speculation.

I've investigated all kinds of ice trays, believe me :lol

I've not seen a metal tray that resembles the plastic ones. All the ones I've seen have flat bottoms, and separate metal dividers inside. I'm not sure whether the classic plastic design would be too effective with the metal ones - wouldn't it be tough to get the cubes out?

I seem to remember her technique involved hiting the base with a large (2" thick) chopping board, so yeah, they were a ***** to get out. :lol

The ice cube tray on BBs was plastic. Some of the green paint was scraped off and you could see the semi-transparent white plastic underneith.

Richie

Ok.....I should have the TV on the way soon. This thread got me motivated. Curse you all. Can't wait to beg you for help :).

Gregg

Holy smoke....It is done!

I put the final touches to the tracker yesterday, and she's a beaut!
The laser cut cut parts (mysterious grills and the disk parts next to the ice tray) turned out really well.

I put together a little video of me rabbiting on about the build & showing off the electronics, which you can check out here:
YouTube - birdie17uk's Channel

And on with the pics!

k9axvn.jpg

33jpum1.jpg

oanogl.jpg

m1zko.jpg

30kr1aw.jpg

2n1i8gk.jpg

2ynl0rs.jpg

sp7i93.jpg

Excellent job there Birdie!

Got yourself a sweet piece to your collection.

Like the sound effects!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back