Finally, my Alien Motion Tracker Build Thread - Finished pics, post 56

Re: Finally, my Alien Motion Tracker Build Thread!

Wow, you have done a great job allready with this. Cant wait to see it finished.

Dawn of the Greeblies

j11smf.jpg

28iw877.jpg

That thing sure wasn't pretty... but it is probably one of the most greebly infested handheld prop of all time! I always read through these threads... seriously mindboggling how far you all have come with this!

I knew that was a drain cover! Glad to see they were found!

Keep up the good work, I'll stay quiet and eat my popcorn over here!

Really impressive stuff guys!

Ice Cube tray - Haven't found the right one yet! The screen used doesn't have the dimples that every plastic tray I've seen has - did they fill them?

I'll be modifying a six-row tray to look more like the screen-used.

Richie's pic:

291oub8.jpg

You know, looking at that picture again I can actually see circles with a tip in the middle which are surely the dimples of the plastic ice cube tray (check the top right one and the fourth from top on the right). I think they are just not easily noticeable, not to mention that they have been painted over.

Incredible job, Simon! How the hell did you happen to find those speaker grills?

I still have to order my slider switches (which is weird, considering I'm the one who found them :lol). I have the greeblies from stephen210, now I just have to get motivated to work on this thing.

-Fred

Simply amazing work, any chance of a printable stock parts list or collection of template of fabricated items ?

All of the found parts are listed in the first two posts. I don't generally publish templates for parts I scratch build, sorry. If you want help with specific parts for of the tracker, drop me a PM.

Question for Richie and Stephen: In the Bob Burns video, Bob appears to turn the tracker on with the key, so what does the microswitch do?

My guess would be that the key activates the battery pack and/or the lights. The micro switch would then activate the sounds.

Richie

I just noticed that there is a rubber hose running from the "hamster tube" up to the front of the handle mount. This was absent on the Bob Burns tracker.

Also I think the front wooden dowel on BBs tracker was simply the end detail. Possiblly the first 2" or so of the sensor.

The first tracker you have pictured also has the antenna in place whereas BBs has a plug instead.

Richie

So, I'm getting there with most of the bits now :)

If you can't find it, scratch build it, if you can't scratch build it, get it lasercut.

Unfortunateley those parts seem to have gone awol in transit from the US to the UK, hopefully not permanently...

Not really happy with the light lenses, Richie sent me some cool high res pics which show the originals seem to have aluminium bezels.

Anyway, progress:

ogkggh.jpg

2hfkn51.jpg

sq5nur.jpg

a4s844.jpg

1t21xu.jpg

311m3p0.jpg

I've been really busy the last few weeks, so I haven't had all that much time to wok on the tracker.

I have installed the electronics though.

The soundboard has three loops that are activated by turning the Vernier Dial, under which I've installed a rotary selector switch.

There are three sounds - the modulation sound from when Dallas first tries out the tracker, then two tracking sounds - the standard double bleep and a faster 'signal approaching sfx.

The sounds were taken out of the movie then edited on Soundforge to remove background noise.

Lights are operated by a second switch, located where the original's microswitch was. I couldn't track down a latching microswitch, so I installed a simple push-button in it place.

There are four lights, the large one, the blue and one of the reds cycle, while the last red is static.

There are also two white leds beneath the screen representing 'signals.

When the whole thing is done I will put up a video of the thing working, some pics in the meantime:

17eqdl.jpg

1534jza.jpg

Lights and sound? Birdie, this is one of those props that if it were part of a run, people would HAVE to get one.

Well you can learn something watching PBS!!

I was watching a program today about the attempted retrieval of a WWII B-29 bomber. While the engineers were installing the propellers the ring used on the Trackers was visible.

This ring, Not the drain screen:

w1sgmb.jpg

It was seen on the back of the propeller itself. The tube etc was visble. I beleive the B-29 would be too large but Im sure there are other propellers that would have same or similar parts.

I can not locate an example online but Ill start doing some inquieries.

I would guess these are a British version.

Thoughts??

Richie

Makes sense. They had truckloads of parts from an aircraft scrapyard when they were putting together the Nostromo bridge set.

Simon

I tried Googling various British airplane prop styles etc but cant find a pic of the backside of any of the propellers. I also tried B-29 with no luck.

In the documentary it was in plane site as they slip the assembled prop onto the engine shaft. It was part of the propeller itself an didnt appear to be a part of the engine.

I did find some sites that sell various aircraft prop components and a few forums. Ill try posting a pic of the tracker part there to see if anyone can at least get me a name of the part. From there mabe we can track down a suitible ring to use.

Richie

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back