Revell Dune Ornithopter

Awesome, very nice build up on it and a great paint job. Love that pic from the rear with the hatch open.

looks really nice..

<div class='quotetop'>(dualedge @ Jul 20 2006, 03:29 PM) [snapback]1284402[/snapback]</div>
That really does look amazing. Are you going to make a little sandy base for it to sit on? :)
[/b]

yeah.. i second that.. a nice little dune (no pun inteded) for it to sit on..

I remember when those models came out. Kinda surprised since everything in that movie was so wierd looking. But wierd in a different way.

A fine job. The weathering really brings out the detail.

I suspect people on this board will suddenly looking to Ebay to get one of these after seeing this thread.

Very, very nice buildup.

I was always very disappointed in how the 'thopters looked in the movie - Especially the Atreides one.

They're supposed to function like birds ( Hence the name ;) ), and simply having little stubby wings fold out, before the boxy pile of junk floated away.

Seen static, as in your pic, the design actually seems a bit more plausible...

Thanks for the comments fellas :) The only thing about a sand base is I wonder would the grains look to large, maybe there's something finer that looks similar? I'm sure they used some strange micro stuff for the Dune movie.

<div class='quotetop'>(Reverend Scapegoat @ Jul 26 2006, 09:36 PM) [snapback]1288432[/snapback]</div>
I was always very disappointed in how the 'thopters looked in the movie - Especially the Atreides one.

They're supposed to function like birds ( Hence the name ;) ), and simply having little stubby wings fold out, before the boxy pile of junk floated away.

[/b]

Yeah I'd love to see some more authentic ornithopter designs. I've been scratchbuilding/customising a few models that have more of a truer flapping-wing flight principle, it's such an intriguing idea. I tend to see the Lynch ornithopters as more of a standard flying vessel than a proper ornithopter but with a kind of Jules Verne look that I really like.

You could use what the film crew used to shoot the Sansworms. Microballoons. You can get them at the best hobbyshops or any fiberglass supply store. You could presculpt the base form and glue a layer or the Microballoons on top. It would look really good.

Or you could use baking soda and airbrush the sand color over it.

<div class='quotetop'>(cobywan @ Aug 10 2006, 03:22 PM) [snapback]1297680[/snapback]</div>
You could use what the film crew used to shoot the Sansworms. Microballoons. You can get them at the best hobbyshops or any fiberglass supply store. You could presculpt the base form and glue a layer or the Microballoons on top. It would look really good.

Or you could use baking soda and airbrush the sand color over it.
[/b]

Thanks cobywan, I'll look into that.

Man, I keep on aching for this kit. Great job. I love the added etailing. The brass bars across the windsheild really add to the look of it.

I say you should simply stain the wood base a deep rich burgandy and let it look like a museum piece. It would fit the gothic feel of the design I think. Maybe even add a plaque.

Nick

Outstanding piece of work, that man! :thumbsup

Makes me wish I hadn't e-bayed my Ornithopter kit many moons ago... :unsure

Have you noticed that there is such a thing as "Seller's Regret" when it comes to kits & props?

Sigh.

Dalroi

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Blipper,

Very nice job on this rather obscure model.
Have been taking a crack at it myself - albeit in 3D
View attachment 25231
View attachment 25232
and I was hoping you might be able to help...
While I have the actual blueprints for the craft, I have been unable to work out just what the underside of the vehicle looks like (since every single reference photo I have found features top/side/45 degree angles).
Any chance of snapping a photo of the underside of your model and posting it please?

Regards
Monsoontide

Check out the rest of my 3d dune models at http://dunese.blogspot.com

I didn't even know this model existed...

WOW. You did a really great job with this... especially considering the condition it was in beforehand. Always great to see resurrected kits, this certainly goes beyond an out of the box build.

Freaking nice model right there. I wouldn't even make a base for it, speaks for itself.:thumbsup

Thanks for the kind compliments, unfortunately the model has been a little dinged over the past couple of years and lost some of the more delicate antennas.

Monsoontide I have some shots to hand another member pm'd me for, let me know if you need more, they're reasonably distortion free:

Good work/site by the way, I've visited a few times in the past to see what's "new" in the Lynch Dune model world. I particularly like the shortened Harkonnen frigate.

HO_BOTTOM.jpg

HO_BOTTOM_ANGLED.jpg

HO_BOTTOM_ANGLED_02_note.jpg

wow!

as a first-time model-maker (31 and only just starting out, lol) this is the sort of thing i'm looking to aspire to - truly magnificent work!

i love the movie, so i'm biased, but i can tell good skill when i see it.

any tips for a newbie modeller regarding painting? stick to traditional schemes, or be a bit personal like your 'thopter?

Thanks for the kind words, Duke. I don't think it's ever too late to start picking up a kit, chances are you have a good idea of what you want and the patience to match.
That being said I wish I had a little more patience as part of me really wanted to airbrush my ornithopter to get some subtlety in the tones. Unfortunately my only experience in airbrushing was a rather cheap airbrush that super sprayed about a 3 metre radius around me in Panzer Olive Green.

There are many many modellers/painters here far better than me and totally open to any advice, don't feel stupid to ask anything. Resin Illuminati is another great board with lots of talent too.

Certainly be sure to post any projects you do! :)

Thanks fellas - I keep meaning to return to it as some of the antennae have broken off and become lost so need replacing. I would like to rebuild the landing gear too from scratch, likely using metal so it's far stronger.

ProfKSergeev - I hope you post any work you do, I'd love to see it. If you choose to go the route of adding bars to the viewports a helpful thing I did was wrap the clear viewport model piece in foil (and carefully make it as smooth as possible by rubbing it gently with a cloth) - then inserting it into it's designated place in the model and using it as a support while the metal bars are glued in. Helps to stop any glue fogging the viewport piece when finally adding it after the bars are fixed.

All the best.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back