David Tennant Glasses

They're vintage glasses made of horn. I've been looking for a few years now and still haven't found anything all that close. Your best bet is something in dark tortoise, which is comparatively easy to find. Hugo Boss made a decent close enough (0048), but it's pretty hard to find now.

The only good shot I've got of them.
DSC01997small.jpg

I'd have to find it again, but on the BBC website they mentioned that they were custom made for David, and not an off the shelf item.

They certainly weren't custom made but they were custom fitted to DTs skinny noggin. They were so old that they couldn't really be considered off the shelf as glasses makers back then used to make them by hand.

I've been struggling with this one myself. The really interesting thing about Tennant's "brainy specs" is the horizontal striping pattern that apparently goes through the horn. (the Blu-Ray of "Waters of Mars" has some great close-up shots, you can see some great details there)

I actually was under the impression they might be wood glasses for a while because they have that sort of grain to them. I've not been able to find anything that quite matched that.

I finally ended up buying some faux-wood glasses with the same general shape, here:

Unisex's full rim plastic eyeglasses with wood grain texture - DBSN5101 | Firmoo.com

They're the best option I've found at any sort of reasonable price. If you want something really authentic, you may end up having to go with hand-made and/or vintage gear.

Can we get a head-desk emoticon? I think we need one for the Who threads. I'm sure others feel the same about certain Star Wars, etc. threads.

I've been meaning to buy some horn plates for a while now. The only thing stopping me is the astronomical shipping charges from India. A pack of samples has a $40 shipping fee. I think the only way to get accurate Tennant glasses would be to hand carve your own from horn spectacle plates.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back