The Tournament - Tracking Device - Any ideas?

CB2001

Master Member
I recently picked up a movie called The Tournament (trailer), which is an action movie in the same vein as Battle Royale and The Running Man.

In the movie, there are tracking devices that are used for not only the people betting on the killers to track them, but allow for the killers to track down and kill each other. For some reason, I think I've seen the casing they used for the scanner somewhere before, but I can't figure out where. It looks like they took a couple of smart phones and redocrated them, but I can't be sure. Any ideas on what they are?

Here are some screencaps of the device. Since the back of the device isn't featured clearly, all I can say that it has a mirror-like surface on the very back, where there's a small hole that looks almost like the back of an iPhone with a camera built in.

Device9.jpg

Device7.jpg

Device6.jpg

Device5.jpg

(NOTE: I noticed that for this one, it has a different "face" on the bottom for this shot and top. The one scene here, which shows up in one scene with Lai Lai uses it, but is not the one she is seen using in scenes before this one, one of them pictured below, the last screencap is from the first scene we see this device. Later on in the movie, it switches back to the one she started with and again, for one shot much later, switches back to this one. However, another character is seen with this particular one)
Device8.jpg

Device4.jpg

Device2.jpg

Last edited:
Well, after doing some more thinking about this, which I may be wrong, I'm guessing that this may be a knock-off device of some sort. When I mean by knock-off, I mean like a calculator shaped like a flip cellphone, or an alarm clock that looks like an iPhone (I don't know if one of those exist or not). But I still assume it is some sort of pre-existing smartphone that's been repainted and repurposed.

Anyone have any guesses yet?

After rewatching the film, I'm lead to believe, even more, that the object they used for the trackers pictured in the first post are found items. The reason why I suspect this is because of the opening scene, which involves a tracker that is drastically different from the one shown later. After having a closer look at the picture, I think this may have been some sort of GPS system of some sort (as there is the word "Kompass" on one of the buttons).

FirstTracker.jpg

I promise, this will be the last post of pictures in relation to the topic. I figured the back of the device maybe important, or maybe useful, in helping of identifying what they could have used to make the tracker props. Here's a couple of shots from the film of the back (as best as I could get them)

Back1.jpg

Back2.jpg

An enlarged version of the shot above.
BackA.jpg

From another scene:
BackB.jpg

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back