Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas

Ill post a picture of my costume from last year that looks like to park costume. the heads foam and bondo the body's a plastic can oddly the exact shape of buzz's and the wings are 2" blue foam. gotta find the pics so give me a few

Mooniteman in that pic it just seems like foam covered with vinyl. If you are good at Upholstery I'm sure you wouldn't have a difficult time making the buzz pictured , but whoever made that buzz was very good at stitch work.

_TiKi_ Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas
Mooniteman in that pic it just seems like foam covered with vinyl. If you are good at Upholstery I'm sure you wouldn't have a difficult time making the buzz pictured , but whoever made that buzz was very good at stitch work.

It's a combination of both vinyl and fabric. You can get sheets of L-200 cut to any thickness. But in this case, it's probably 1/2" body and 3/8" arms and legs. Then they cover the foam with a liquid vinyl that sprays on with a large paint gun. If you do it right, no seams are seen afterward. Then it's just a matter of masking and painting the details. Or if you want, you can create the details separately and then cloth cover them in the colors (purple, green) and glue them on afterward. Considering the budget on the show, I can almost guarentee it was done this way, it's the cheapest and fastest way to create this.

The L200 foam looks very promising - I'm looking into that and will probably go that route if I do this.

I've also gotton ahold of the episode of boston Legal where they wear the Buzz costumes - i'll post some better more analyzed pics up soon !

Sorry for the double post, but here are some really good images of the Boston Public costume.

Parts - such as the white shell do appear to be wrapped in a PVC fabric. You can also see some wrinkles on one of the chest pieces which would lead me to believe they did the same with the green chest.

But - take a look at the back part. There is some pretty great detail there - like that little circular gray disc thingy which leads me to believe they may have sculpted the back. Could you sculpt that in L200 foam ?

There is also something neat I noticed. They have a nob thingy by their ass that they pull to eject their wings. Silly but interesting.

Either way - here's some more pics, which i'm finding quite helpful:

Very Interesting Ash. I'm on LOH, but didn't catch that yet. Not really the direction I'd like to go - but it really is an interesting use of some of the techniques we've discussed - such as covering foam in lycra/pvc.

Funny the way that Buzz's chest is shaped is exactly the shape I'm trying to avoid. He has more of a roundish torso which is easier said than done in foam.

But for a week of work - that's very impressive ! Thanks for sharing !

Moony

I personally started a thread on this because I wanted to tackle this but got side tracked with other projects. I seriously like the cruise ship version as it looks the most streamlined and easiest to move around in.

My ideas where going to be to put speakers hidden in the chest piece and attempt to rig up the buttons so when pressed you'd hear the Tim Allen quotes from the movie.

I'll get back to it one day and will be following your progress to get inspired.

-Ash

I also would love to be able to put speakers in it and have it say phrases but was wondering how to go about this. I do remember years ago owning a plastic childrens costume chest piece that had the three buttons and said different phrases. I bet there would be a way to rig that, but I have no idea where it went to.

I also REALLY want to add a laser and sound effects when you press the red arm button. That would be the the most essential interactive aspect to me.

And I agree that the Cruise ship one looks the easiest to movie in. I'll probably be doing a combination of that one and the Boston public one.

for the wings, check out the backpack toy that should be out from the recent movie. I haven't seen one in person, only the picture, but it looks to use a design similar to those fake knives, where the tip retracts into the blade.
indeed, the cruise ship version will be easier to replicate and move in. it was design to do so. the park costumes are meant for 15-20 minute stunts, being of fiberglass or vaccuformed. more than likely the former.

I also would love to be able to put speakers in it and have it say phrases but was wondering how to go about this. I do remember years ago owning a plastic childrens costume chest piece that had the three buttons and said different phrases. I bet there would be a way to rig that, but I have no idea where it went to.

I also REALLY want to add a laser and sound effects when you press the red arm button. That would be the the most essential interactive aspect to me.

And I agree that the Cruise ship one looks the easiest to movie in. I'll probably be doing a combination of that one and the Boston public one.
Laser should be no problem I've seen toy gun at kmart that sound and function similar. Just mod it into the suit.

I would assume that the "boston legal" costume (since it is an ABC show) just "borrowed" the costume from the disney parks in anaheim - it's exactly the same and it seems to make the most sense. I doubt the BL prop team is that good.

Could someone post links on where to purchase some of the stuff talked about here: either the foam or the shell shock?

thanks.

It's a combination of both vinyl and fabric. You can get sheets of L-200 cut to any thickness. But in this case, it's probably 1/2" body and 3/8" arms and legs. Then they cover the foam with a liquid vinyl that sprays on with a large paint gun. If you do it right, no seams are seen afterward. Then it's just a matter of masking and painting the details. Or if you want, you can create the details separately and then cloth cover them in the colors (purple, green) and glue them on afterward. Considering the budget on the show, I can almost guarentee it was done this way, it's the cheapest and fastest way to create this.

Hey wondersquid what would be a good base for the foam and fabric?

when that aired, I asked my friend in management at Disney about the cos and he said they were borrowed form the parks. SO yes, they are those I assume. I still like the live show one best for costume wearing at a con and the lights blink!!!!

I don't understand why everyone thinks those are from the parks - they are very clearly not the same. If they are from the parks then they are not used currently or in any previous Disney production I can locate.

Also the Boston Legal costumes have a pull tab on the back to release the wings, as you can see in some of the pics above. Which the parks definetly don't have. The park ones are solid and not foam or resin and the little details such as the laser, chest, wings, legs and joints are totally different.

Look at the park pic:

buzztreyzach.jpg

Boston Legal:

Picture14-2.png

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back