Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas

I saw that - Firefox - thanks for the resource ! I don't know if I'm gonna do the dome - as the only way to really do it would be to have half a dome like the play, which is just inaccurate. Although i may give it a whirl if it's not too expensive when this gets completed.

I don't think it would be that hard to have an "accurate" dome.
The costume is "deep" enough to be able to hide part of the dome if necessary - so it would just be a matter of securing the dome at 2 points (are already there on the costume) so you can open the dome and close it if you wanted to. The dome would then roll in the back of the chest piece... I think that it could go far enough (your own back being where the dome would roll at its farthest) to have it clear your face.

The real hard thing would be to automate this (only have a basic understanding of electronic - never touched a motor before)... but it's definitely something that is doable.

However, having that dome there would make the suit even hotter to wear - it's going to be hot enough because it's all made of foam, having that dome over your head blocking air flow will only make it worst.

_
TiKi_ Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas
Hey wondersquid what would be a good base for the foam and fabric?

It's hard to describe, but if you build the foam right, it holds it's own shape thru the forms engineering. Think of it like a ball, if you build a ball as a number of slices glued to themselves (which is how a foam ball is made) you can actually cut out both the bottom and top to make it look like a tire, and it will still have the rounded shape because of the slices themselves have a patterned or curved shape to them, they force the foam to bend and curve into this form. The glue only helps keep the form solid because it's attached to similar shapes that combine to form the whole. (Hope that helps, but man, my head hurts. I just need to write a book on the subject and sell copies to anyone who asks):lol

_

It's hard to describe, but if you build the foam right, it holds it's own shape thru the forms engineering. Think of it like a ball, if you build a ball as a number of slices glued to themselves (which is how a foam ball is made) you can actually cut out both the bottom and top to make it look like a tire, and it will still have the rounded shape because of the slices themselves have a patterned or curved shape to them, they force the foam to bend and curve into this form. The glue only helps keep the form solid because it's attached to similar shapes that combine to form the whole. (Hope that helps, but man, my head hurts. I just need to write a book on the subject and sell copies to anyone who asks):lol

uhh... so your essentially saying to build the pieces into shape with layers?

uhh... so your essentially saying to build the pieces into shape with layers?

to get your basic shape, no. I'll try to break it down a bit simpler. Get and orange, cut it into 8 equal wedges. Peel the skin from the delicious goodness inside and save the skin. Each section of skin is known as a "gore". These sections can then be put back together to get the shape of the orange again. Make sense?

Now to get more complex shapes, you'll have a lot more cutting and re-gluing.

If you've ever used primitives to 3d model, it might me easier for you to visualize.

i got some ideas as well.being new here id like to ask if can post progress as well as questions in this same thread rather then starting a new one. Its my first time going for something big and cool. ill also need advise on bondo versus fiberglass.
im hoping to do the opening dome by buying an oversized plastic dome and cutting them in half. then over lapping them like the toy.
i also found an old electronics project i did that has the lazer sound of buzz light year.plus is has leds that i can attach to the glove part.

i found this..
Buzz Lightyear costume
and thought i could do this with bondo.

ive been looking at these threads for awhile.buzz is definitely going to be fun.

_

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I don't know much about fabrics and soft foams, I do mostly prop stuff out of woods, plastics and metals. If Moon goes ahead with a hard foam/fiber/bondo option I might join him.

Batdemon - that was exactly what I was trying to say, thank you! If you ever want to work together, I'd love to have you.:)

JOEE - Please share ANYTHING you have done.

This is not my thread - this is about constructing a Buzz Lightyear costume. It's of course open to all input and progress !

I also think the foam route may be what I take since I've watched my brother struggle with bondo and it just seems to be a freaking ***** and a half. I also feel with foam it would be much lighter and less likely to break and become cumbersome.

And I think the Link : Buzz Lightyear Costume - is very interesting. That is basically the approach I would take in foam.

Now hypotheyically if I went with the L200 foam would there be something I could cover it in rather than fabric? Whats this shell shock stuff you guys have refereed to ? Got any examples ?

I'm loving the input on this so far - it's really got me going ! I just need to commit to some foam and jump in !

Moony

Batdemon - that was exactly what I was trying to say, thank you! If you ever want to work together, I'd love to have you.:)

you're quite welcome. it is a much simpler way of looking at it than the geometry lecture I had planned isn't it? being in Valencia, I'm surprised the orange analogy didn't come to you first.:lol working Cali...I know of a couple companies out there that could /would handle a project like this, one in particular, are you associated with them?

back on topic...Mooniteman, if you haven't looked into it, Shell Shock® Brushable Liquid Plastic | Smooth-On, Inc.
my concern...resins are only as strong as the material they are put on, ie glass cloth, kevlar. since the foam is pliable, would it crack if hit? I read a few first hand accounts of people using the product and it didn't like extreme cold. the good thing is the guys at Smooth-on are extremely knowledgeable and can answer all your questions.

Out of curiosity, is there any reason why this couldn't be done the "old fashioned" way by vacforming the parts or casting in fiberglass or something similar? To me either of these methods would probably produce the best results creating something that looks the most like the toy/animation.

On a slightly different note, has anyone ever thought of or attempted to make a "real" version of Buzz? By real I mean trying to redesign the suit/armor to what it might look like if it were designed for a real person and not a toy? Same motiffs, color scheme, and features but scaled to human proportions.

The_Batdemon : I did see that link, but didn't see anything about coating foam. I imagine the resin would crack considering the foam under structure is pliable and subject to deformation. Maybe coating the foam isn't a great idea.

Riceball
:I do love the idea of doing vacuumed armor - but I don't have the space or $$$ to build a vacuform table. I also have little clue as to how that shiznit even works. Vacuformed armor would be perfect for the toy look if someone wanted to take the time to develop it.

Also there's a "realistic" buzz floating around on the internet. I'm honestly rather sick of it since it always pops up in searches. Someone posted it on the first page. Its cool, but ... meh - whatever. I'm interested in Buzz Lightyear not a re-imagining.

Moony

Riceball
:I do love the idea of doing vacuumed armor - but I don't have the space or $$$ to build a vacuform table. I also have little clue as to how that shiznit even works. Vacuformed armor would be perfect for the toy look if someone wanted to take the time to develop it.

Yeah, that's the problem that I have too, lack of funds and space for a vacform machine. Given the lack of space a fiberglass (or similar) casting might be an option too although it might not be that cheap but it's gotta be cheaper than vacforming since you're not building the table along with the clay and plastic, but if you can sculpt and make molds it's an option to consider although the amount of material needed might drive up the costs.

Moony......To Infinity and Beyond!!!

Do I sense a LightyearParty.com in your near future????

"... you're mocking me arn't you.... ?"

Lets hope not mate. :lol

And Riceball - I think I may have to stick with foam and PVC fabric. It looks pretty topnotch on the Boston and Musical costumes. Although if I had the $$$ I would LOVE to do something more like the park costumes.... only better.

We'll see though. I'm still feeling my way around - once I definitely choose a method I'll let you guys know.

- AJ

The_Batdemon

Riceball

Moony
Shop vac plus heat gun plus some wood. I've been gathering materials to make a supapoorman's vac former.

mooniteman: haha "you're mocking me arent you"? that was great! lets do a lightyearparty.com ..anywho i agree with you on expense not a good economy we're in.

tiki: whats all this for a vac former? is there a link?

_TiKi_ Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas
Shop vac plus heat gun plus some wood. I've been gathering materials to make a supapoorman's vac former.

Beware, these things are for low detail or worse no detail pulls. And the type & thickness of plastic you use makes a big difference. I've tried this in my kitchen and had the center heat well, but the sides didn't and by the time I got the sides heated, the center was cooling, so getting a good pull was very frustrating. Obviously the temperature of where you're pulling makes a huge difference and I am pretty picky about my vac pulls getting tight sharp detail.

I'd love to see your set-up and pulls, so please share, I destroyed mine long ago, but I am considering a newer, more metal version, just need enough capital. (don't we all:lol)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back