Captain America Shield

Re: Captian America Shield

Ok, well first off not to be rude, but it looks like you are very much a beginner when it comes to prop replicas. Dont be ashamed of it, we all start some where. You just need to slow down a bit when you are building something. Use a pencil tied to a string to help you draw out a better circle. Also, you can make great things out of cardboard, you just need to prep it first. After you have the shield cut out, try sealing the cardboard with shellac. I use Bulls eye brand which can be bought at home depot. Then spray it with a several layers of high build primer (you can get it at wallmart in the auto section) to hide the corrugated look of the card board. Sand out any drips and THEN do a final paint job. It dosent look like you lack in enthusiasm just in experience. And always work in a well ventilated area with a respirator. Also look for pepkura tutorials on youtube if you want to learn how to use fiberglass and bondo. The same technique can be used on a freehand cardboard build

my advice would be to try and make it round next time :lol

:lol:lol:lol
Okay, that was funny!

On a more serious note, I very much admire your enthusiasm. You may not have the skill today, but you certainly have the heart, soul and spirit of this hobby. Stick with it. We'll help.
Kudos to you, bro. :thumbsup

Wow, metal sounds really ambitious. I can't wait to see the result.

As for tips on your cardboard mockup... you can use a thinned mixture of wood glue and water to stiffen it and give you a harder surface to work on. From there you can then prime it with a filler primer, or smooth it further with spackling paste and sanding.

As for your lines, a good compass would be invaluable, and a homemade one out of a 1x board would actually serve you better than almost any you could buy.

A buddy of mine makes the top quality fiberglass Captain America shields and that is how he lays his lines out, and his shields are absolute art.

Keep up the work and best of luck. Can't wait to see more.

Oz

If you are planning on making one out of metal, read this:

captain america shield tutorial

Keep in mind though, once it's painted, any smooth surface will be pretty well indistinguishable from metal. Case in point: this awesome fiberglass shield

Finally, take a look at the picture in the top right of this page. It's a scan from the 1985 Handbook of The Marvel Universe. I dare you to find a better reference image for the curve of the shield.

what part of texas are you? i learned the hard way how to make shields :) its a fun but very time consuming deal! i posted that at the LOH cause people wanted to know what went into the process but theres lots of ways to go about it, dont give up and do what Knowone251 said, you have to take your time and look ahead of what you want to make and what your end results would be... keep at it and dont quit !!!

if you have never done any sort of sheet metal work or smithing then i might suggest you buy one. to even get a half way decent sheild you will be looking at a lot of work and research, not to mention PRACTICE. keep up the work though and you will eventualy get there.

If you're going to try making a metal one, my advice would be to use a metal disc sled. and then mostly worry about the paint. It's cheap and great if you're starting out. I was thinking about making a cheapo metal 300 shield and that's the best idea i came up with.

what part of texas are you? i learned the hard way how to make shields :) its a fun but very time consuming deal! i posted that at the LOH cause people wanted to know what went into the process but theres lots of ways to go about it, dont give up and do what Knowone251 said, you have to take your time and look ahead of what you want to make and what your end results would be... keep at it and dont quit !!!

I am in DFW area.

We had a target store re-model a few years ago...and I got a hold of one of their outside trash can lids which worked great....its made of metal, convex...and I think only an inch smaller in diameter then the licensed version....it was very smooth just some wet sanding and it was ready for painting...even had a marking on the inside so I knew were dead center was....like I said they were re-modeling so please don't go steal target trash cans:lol

i guys i am also a prop building ametuer infact this will be my first prop. i have very good metal workskills and i am after tips. i want to make one out of 5mm steel so it should be bulletproof,and i have allredy done the mathes
please help

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back