sealing up a lighted model

Dedalus5550

Sr Member
I'm building an MPC Millennium Falcon which I will light. I can tell there will be seams that are not big enough to fill with putty in the traditional sense, but light would show through. I know about painting the interior black, but what can I use to block out the seams? It really needs a bead of something all around, but this might take two tubes or more of modeling putty and I'd like something more economical. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Mike Todd

I like to use reflective silver foil tape whenever possible. not only does it block light, but it reflects it back to add to the brightness.

Dito the foil tape. If you cant find the tape, paint the entire inner black and then silver. The silver paint will also reflect the light back into the model.

If dealing with really small crevices, you might try a dark pigmented latex paint (house paint) if you have any lying around. Just wipe the excess off and let it dry. Only you could figure out if the crevice you're looking at would work with that.

along the same idea as the tape - you can also build "light boxes" that contain the light source in such a way to stop the light from going "everywhere"

Jedi Dade

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back