Phantom of the Opera Fedora

Darth Movado

Hello folks,

I'm on a hunt for the Phantom of the Opera fedora. Most likely its a custom made piece for the show, but if you have any idea as to a good replica or substitute for costuming, please let me know. I'm begging here! :)

Jesse

I use an Elope hat that I picked up. It was a gangster hat but if you turn the brim down all the way around it's a very close match.

Yeah, the brim is enormous, almost like a cowboy hat. Google "black gangster hat" or "black zoot suit hat." You'll find a lot of black fedoras with huge brims.

Rick

First of all bravo for choosing the stage version ;) Mad love for Maria Bjornson's designs. She passed too soon :(

I have to admit it is one element of the costume I am not sure on ;) Everything else is custom made (stirrups in pants so they don't ride up when he stretches across the portcullis, ditto on the shirt).

You may be able to start with a hat blank and rework it. A basic cavalier hat (make sure it is wool felt) should be able to be reblocked into a good shape. it requires a form and steam and maybe hot water if you are confident ;) You can then cut it down to size.

I have to admit it is one element of the costume I am not sure on ;) Everything else is custom made (stirrups in pants so they don't ride up when he stretches across the portcullis, ditto on the shirt).

The shirt doesn't need to be custom made at all, there are two very simple off the shelf methods for keeping shirts from riding up. What you want are called shirt stays and there are two kinds; one is a rubber strip of sorts of that goes into the waist band of your pants and the other are a couple of narrow elastic bands that clip to the bottom of your shirt to the top of your socks. Both are designed to keep your shirt from riding up and elastic bands type are actually issued to Marines in boot camp to keep the shirts of the service dress uniform nice and neatly tucked in.

Just an update. This project has pretty much come to fruition. The look turned out quite well. Thanks for the guidance on the fedora. We did find one that will suffice.

Brown

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back