Star Trek TOS yellow/red costumes *photo heavy*

Hey all,

the bf (Jinyo) and I had some photos taken recently by a photog friend of ours of our TOS outfits over at Vasquez Rocks. Thought we'd share some of the results!

8.jpg

4.jpg

02.jpg

04.jpg

01.jpg

We bought all of the rank/insignia materials on the Gene Roddenberry site. We also bought the pattern for my dress there, the "official" one, but we did a buttload of alterations to it to make it accurate to our tastes. Jinyo drafted his own pattern for his shirt and pants. He upgraded the heels on his boots, but we're still trying to find more accurate boots in general.

We made the Saurian Brandy bottle per Greg Schnitzer's awesome research and tips on the subject.

The bamboo cannon was a last minute idea, and he actually couldn't locate the right kind of bamboo to use (like Mythbusters did), so he made one using a giant cardboard tube and wood paper.

He didn't send me that many photos of himself, so don't think I'm a photo hog posting photos mostly of myself...though I am a total photo hog anyway XD

And yes, I took my Tribble for a walk...

~Victoria

Last edited:
Not that this is important or anything, but kinda fun to know for those who may not be aware. Shatner had worn wrestler boots while filming at Vasquez Rocks for "Arena". I guess it was for better ankle support and traction while on location.

Love the tribble on a leash. :lol

Oh, and pass the brandy bottle around this way, would you? Cheers.

Not that this is important or anything, but kinda fun to know for those who may not be aware. Shatner had worn wrestler boots while filming at Vasquez Rocks for "Arena". I guess it was for better ankle support and traction while on location.

Love the tribble on a leash. :lol

Oh, and pass the brandy bottle around this way, would you? Cheers.

Yeah, I love how you don't even have to look hard in the shots where the lacing of the boots totally show. And I think he wears another pair of shoes where he's wearing long socks...I love all the different footwear he wore.

~Victoria

Yeah, he wore that ankle-high-wrestling-boot+black-socks combination for a number of his outdoor action scenes. I assume it wasn't really visible on most 1960s TVs, but today's high-def blu-ray images make it pretty obvious. They didn't even try to hide the dangling laces by taping over them or adding boot covers.

Can't say I blame the actors and stuntmen for wanting to be more careful. I put a special, softer heel on my boot to get better traction out there, and it still felt kind of precarious to climb on some of those rocks. If I had to be there for days, shooting fight scenes, a twisted ankle would have been more than likely.

Those are great pics, and you're obviously having a lot of fun, too! Oh, and you can also see Shatner's thermal shirt under his uniform....

These photos are great. They're not just well done, they're fun.

That brandy is making me thirsty. That tears it! I'm going to the liquor store.

Fantastic! thanks for sharing!!:thumbsup If you have more pix post them....can't get enough you guys did a bang-up job On those Uniforms!! :eek

Excellent uniforms and great pictures. I've driven past Vasquez Rocks at least 100 times and I've never had time to stop and check it out. I definitely want to do a costume shoot there some day, though.

Fantastic! thanks for sharing!!:thumbsup If you have more pix post them....can't get enough you guys did a bang-up job On those Uniforms!! :eek

You hardly have to twist my arm to post more :angel I held back as best I could on the first post, but here's some more:

1-1.jpg

10.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

004.jpg

007.jpg

005.jpg

001.jpg

003.jpg

These photos make it painfully obvious that I pretty much only know one facial expression. Maybe I should add ears and be a Vulcan so I least I'd be "in character"!

If you're wondering WHY the heck I wanted pictures walking a Tribble, well, because I thought it'd be hilarious :p And I had an image in my head of this Vogue'ish/modeling looking photo, posing like for a magazine with this amazing background and doing something simple and random like walking a dog...or in this case, a Tribble. And the photos came out exactly the way I wanted them.

~Victoria

That was my take on it and why I love it so much!!

Jinyo, you da man for wearing those boots up there especially cuban heels!

Love the second set of Pics as well.

The uniforms came out as fantastic as the photo shoot!

If you're wondering WHY the heck I wanted pictures walking a Tribble, well, because I thought it'd be hilarious :p And I had an image in my head of this Vogue'ish/modeling looking photo, posing like for a magazine with this amazing background and doing something simple and random like walking a dog...or in this case, a Tribble. And the photos came out exactly the way I wanted them.

~Victoria

great photos!! great costumes!!
love the anti-gorn cannon idea!!!!
and victoria...thanks for doing the 60's classic trek style hair-do...really sells the pics as true classic trek.:thumbsup

Very well done. Best Trek photo shoot I've seen.
I've been planning on redoing my command shirt. What material did you 2 use?

Great pics!!!!

I've been there many times and will be there next week for another photo shoot.

You guys should come out and make it a party.

54vasquezrockscs7.jpg

comparison16th.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! Skirt isn't short enough....you know...just trying to be canon. :angel

Maybe it's the angles I'm taking all the photos from...it's pretty short and I've got the booty shorts underneath!

Bad Wolf - thanks for the hair compliment! Actually figured it out the morning of the shoot. Last time I'd worn the costume, I had tried to give myself a big poof in the front and curl the rest of my hair...but I wasn't very impressed with the overall look. But then I remembered some of the girls would have hair piled on the back of their head so I took a ponytail piece I had to a more impressive up-do. Definitely going to be the hairstyle I use whenever I wear this outfit now!

Tiberius - Love the photos, and the car! I've got a blue '06 Mustang, but had been eyeing the yellow/gold a few times...a gorgeous, unique color.

~Victoria

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back