Resin Alternatives?

Rusty85

Sr Member
I know resin is one of the most commonly used materials for models and hobby related stuff, but I really would rather use something less complicated and not have to ship it. In other words, I want something similar, but easier to use and can be bought locally at a craft or hardware store.

Anyone know anything?

I know resin is one of the most commonly used materials for models and hobby related stuff, but I really would rather use something less complicated and not have to ship it. In other words, I want something similar, but easier to use and can be bought locally at a craft or hardware store.

Anyone know anything?

better and easier?.........it doesn't get much easier than a 1:1 mix and pour!!?????

Anyone know anything?

Can't get much easier as has been said, and you can get it locally... Hobby Lobby (doesn't appear to be any in CA) carries Alumilite resins as do many smaller hobby shops, Dick Blick carries Smooth-On and ArtMolds, and being in California there are multiple mail order and walk in plastic houses that will drop it at your door mostly likely next day if they are not in the immediate area...

Thanks, but I live in Norcal. I checked with the only hobby-shop here and they don't carry it, nor are there any local companies that do.

TAP Plastics has a new 1:1 resin mix if I recall. Also my local BLICK carries lots of resin and silicones.

Thanks, but I live in Norcal. I checked with the only hobby-shop here and they don't carry it, nor are there any local companies that do.

Can I asked why it's such a big deal to order it? Yeah if you live outside major cities finding it locally might be hard, but finding an alternative will be even harder as there really isn't any... There are tons of plastics suppliers within your state, as I said you will likely have it on your door step tomorrow if you ordered today... Leverage online pricing and with shipping it's very competitive... I'm in Illinois and I order some of my resins from California suppliers, it ships in 5 gallon jugs and it is still competitively priced in the end...

Agreed with what everyone else said. It's nice to be able to pick up locally, but some times you just have to deal with the postal service.

I can't think of anything you'd be able to do really good castings with that you'd find at a hardware store. Bondo and water putty both work to an extent but not for fine detail.

Craft stores like AC Moore usually have a relatively poor quality clear casting resin, but I've never been happy with that.

I live in Canada, and hour north of Toronto, and I have no problems getting Smooth-On products shipped to my door.

And I agree with the other posters. It is pretty simple to pour resin/mold.

I do most of mine either in my garage (summer) or workroom (winter).

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back