Haruko Bass (Rickenbacker 4001)

Heavy-Props-Guy

First post on the site! Not really a new user per se, just never really had the time.

Anyway, here it is!

Horuko_Bass__Front_by_Heavy_Props_Guy.jpg

Horuko_Bass__Headstock_by_Heavy_Props_Guy.jpg

Horuko_Bass__Back_by_Heavy_Props_Guy.jpg

and the friend I made it for with it

Horuko__NDK_2009_by_Heavy_Props_Guy.jpg

(not my picture of her, but hey it has a watermark, so yeah.)

It's rather a simple build, the wood is pine and the paint is Rustoleum "sail blue" with an entire can of Rustoleum clear coat on top of that.

I'll post the process I made it with here in a bit. I'd post it all now, but I'm not too sure if I can get it all on in time for the site maintenance.

That's cool! Has the shape down ...very nice. It would be cool having one of those as a mock up to display on a wall or something in a music or entertainment room.

Here's my real Ric

Ricwithtapes011.jpg

ahhh foolie coolie right? the one with the horn on his head?

i watched some of that show with some neighbors of mine and i was completely clueless to what was going on. but thats usual with anime with me anyway.

i watched some of that show with some neighbors of mine and i was completely clueless to what was going on. but thats usual with anime with me anyway.

Except FLCL makes even less sense than many other anime.

This is a cool prop though, I've been thinking about this one for a while. Looking forward to the progress shots.

That's cool! Has the shape down ...very nice. It would be cool having one of those as a mock up to display on a wall or something in a music or entertainment room.

Here's my real Ric

Basses are nice but I was always partial to the early 80's Rickenbacker 480.

rick1groot.jpg

I have absolutely no idea what movie / TV show or game that is from, but you it looks like you did a nice job there anyway!

And if this is a get your Rickie out thread, here's my old 330:

n1150431296302201168599.jpg

I have absolutely no idea what movie / TV show or game that is from, but you it looks like you did a nice job there anyway!

And if this is a get your Rickie out thread, here's my old 330:

Rick's look best in maple. :thumbsup My number 2 choice next to the 480 would be the 620.

rickenbacker620mapleglo.jpg

You mean Maple-Glo.

They are all maple and yes I have seen some Ricks in Maple-Glo with the right wood grain that are absolutely beautiful works of art

Before I get to posting the progress shots, here's some answers.

For the love of god please tell me that IS NOT a real Ricky!

Nope! Not real. The only thing that's remotely original, is the knobs. The rest of the parts are either custom crafted, or the cheapest bass parts I could find. (with the exception of the strings... why I bought Ernie Balls for a nonfunctional guitar I don't know.) And yes, the starter DOES work (but It doesn't start anything. Sadly.)

Yep, first anime I ever watched... which is saying a lot because I really don't watch any at all. I blame BP.

Anyway.....

Reference1.jpg

Using images from the show, I see what modifications to the actual design I have to do. the two most striking are, the starter, and the gun out the end of the headstock. (How that works I don't know). Also it's apparent that they've never seen the back of one. Rickenbacker's don't have electronics plates nor do they have bolt on necks. They have pickguards for that and they're neck through body.

Horuko_Bass__1_of_19_by_Heavy_Props_Guy.jpg

This is the canvas, it's not much. just a 2 x 8, and a 2 x 4 glued together. While this dries, I run over to kinko's with the highest quality full image of the bass (well, It's a rickenbacker 4003, but it's close enough) and get that printed out full scale.

Horuko_Bass__2_of_19_by_Heavy_Props_Guy.jpg

I trace the image, and cut out the parts I'll need to make later off the image, the pickguard, truss rod cover and the lower pickup.

Then with a jigsaw it's off to work.

Horuko_Bass__3_of_19_by_Heavy_Props_Guy.jpg

It's at this time, I realize that I didn't need to glue a 1x4 as well, so I just cut that off entirely.

Horuko_Bass__4_of_19_by_Heavy_Props_Guy.jpg

I then cut the back so that it can fit the starter (because it needs more clearance than its housing)

Horuko_Bass__6_of_19_by_Heavy_Props_Guy.jpg

(Image quality goes down at this point, because I never bring my camera and so rely on cell phones) I drill the tuner holes, and get them to fit....

Horuko_Bass__7_of_19_by_Heavy_Props_Guy.jpg

Then, using welding rods (it's small wire, and it looks close enough) I make a nut.

Horuko_bass__8_of_19_by_Heavy_Props_Guy.jpg

and frets.

Horuko_Bass__15_of_19_by_Heavy_Props_Guy.jpg

I get these sized but set them aside for later and work on the pickguard instead. I put in a working toggle switch, that shall never see current.

Horuko_Bass__9_of_19_by_Heavy_Props_Guy.jpg

and cut the guard out of simple 1/32nd inch galvanized.

Horuko_Bass__11_of_19_by_Heavy_Props_Guy.jpg

as well as the upper pickup.

Horuko_Bass__12_of_19_by_Heavy_Props_Guy.jpg

the neck is then sanded like mad.

Haruko-Bass-14-of-19-138054430

which is then painted and mounted together. the "pickup cover" has a little slack in it, this is fixed later.

Horuko_Bass__13_of_19_by_Heavy_Props_Guy.jpg

The "gun" is also added. in reality is is the largest nipple I can find that can fit the half inch headstock.

Horuko_Bass__10_of_19_by_Heavy_Props_Guy.jpg

The frets are glued in...

Haruko-Bass-16-of-19-138054566

the body and headstock is painted...

Haruko-Bass-17-of-19-138054603

Horuko_Bass__18_of_19_by_Heavy_Props_Guy.jpg

and the neck and back of the headstock are stained.

it's assembled, and there you have it!

Grand price... somewhere in the $140 ball park. I wouldn't know because the girl I built it for has all the receipts, and paid for materials.

Last edited:
Sad part is... right after the convention it was made for, she dropped it and chipped the paint..... Was not happy. However, I kinda got her into DIY hacking because I told her how to paint it herself. So, yeah. Win?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back