Tron Legacy Costume

uploadfromtaptalk1409477299892.jpg

Thank you everyone for the amazing thread! Finished my version 1 costume just in time for Dragon*Con and it was a huge hit! Thank you, again, for all the great tips in this thread! See you on the GRID!

Hey, electronic boys and girls! I could use some help. I'm trying to figure out how best to mock up the end of the plastic 'breather hose' from the Black Guard helmet. I don't have experience with costumes, so I am appealing to the good folks in this thread for what would be a good practical solution attaching this to a suit.

What would you want it to be? Female thread? T-slot? Recess for magnet? Velcro?

Looking at the only reference pics I could find, it appears that the screen used prop connects to the suit via a t-slotted receiver or giant magnet for easy assembly/disassembly. But I'm not looking to make that suit-side component - unless it's the only way to go.

Attachments

• hose end4.jpg
    hose end4.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 130
  • hose end3.jpg
    hose end3.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 138
  • hose end2.jpg
    hose end2.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 147
  • hose end1.jpg
    hose end1.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 147
Which ever option you go with, I would suggest something break-away like velcro or magnets. If the tube does get caught on something the last thing you want is a tube permanently attached that would jerk your head back.

I'd go for the right size/shape neodymium magnet for the job. Metal plate on the part, magnet in the helmet (or visa versa, whichever way works). Two magnates might be strong enough to hold if the pipe gets caught.

Thanks guys for the input. I'm going with velcro! I considered magnets, but I think velcro pads might be easier to sew into a costume, and I just happened to have velcro circles that are just the right size!

Attachments

• breather tube velcro.jpg
    breather tube velcro.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 194
I think I have found a suitable alternative for the fabric for the robes for Kevin Flynn. It's pattern is called Panache by Lanscot and it's an upholstery fabric. Normally it's $25/yard but I picked it up on sale for $9.95/yard! SCORE!
disc holder white.jpgIMG_3237.JPG

Nice find creator, just out of interest, how heavy is the fabric, and do you have/need the pattern for the back?

Id love to do a kevin robe at some point myself :)

I finally made a disc with the aqua color for both inner and outer rings on a single circuit to match the EL tape/wire color!

20150423_012549.jpg

It matches the color seen in many of the promo images as well, like in the poster below:

flynnaqua.jpg

I still have a few obstacles to work out, but I'm really liking the look of this thing.

20150423_012650.jpg

Here is a quick vid as well:

Last edited by a moderator:
tronCost.jpg

So to reply to an ancient thread… first time here on the RPForums, but I was directed here (to this thread) by some folks who do running costumes. My wife and I had a night race (a 5K with a scavenger hunt sort of thing after) at Disney's Animal Kingdom… and we almost always run in costume. TRON is a Disney property, and it lights up… so I really wanted to go this route.

And this thread was a godsend!

For everyone who, over *many* years, has contributed to it, believe it or not it's still referenced, and used, by those of us trying to come up to the standards we see around us in the Cosplay world. It helped immensely… Thank You!

Our costumes were basic, but based on ELwire. A pattern was made for each piece and each light pattern, with the light pattern piece cut from csrdstock and had the ELwire Scotch taped in place. The front surface was 3mm EVA foam (wire was 2.7mm HiBright from CoolNeon, so it would be embedded completely in the EVA foam; EVA foam triple-coated with spray-on Plasti-Dip) with channels cut, then the wire secured to card stock glued in, then a 2mm or 5mm EVA backing glued to the back; all glue was E6000, which worked pretty well. The ELwire channels were then covered with a piece of window diffuser held in place with black electrical tape which is an amazingly good match for the Plasti-dipped EVA foam. The foam 'armor' was than held to a fabric 'backpack' (patterned on a lumber-reservoir running hydration pack) with industrial strength Velcro and Velcro strapping tape. Unlike the method advocated here earlier, where the ELwire is covered and only the diffuse reflection is seen, we ran the ELwire under the diffuser "in plane view", and it worked great - when moving there were no hot spots to be seen, and it's only in some pictures of the larger light panels that you can "see the wire". The back plates were built-up layered 5mm EVA foam, with the curves around them being done with ELwire through frosted plastic tubing (for ice makers etc.) instead of the channel method.

The biggest difference we had was these had to work for running… which meant they had to take some abuse, back tightly in a luggage (the race was away), and have zero bounce, as well as of course not shorting out. Connections were soldered, with quick-connects between pieces, and due to the expected heat (Florida in May, even at night) we didn't want to do the gauntlets or heavy legs… but I *really* wanted Quorra's light strip down the leg. Our under layer was all running tech wear however, and we didn't want to ruin a pair of running tights (or as it turned out capri's… having your choice of undergarments for a race is a good thing). So the light strip was built the same as the other armor pieces, but metal washers were embedded in the under layer. A strip with four enclosed rare-earth magnets was slide inside the running tights, and held the leg lighting strip very securely in place… for the next version of this I would do that for *all* the leg lighting. It allowed the wearer to strip off the costume in seconds without damage, and put it back on in under a minute… again a special and necessary requirement when you are running a race and may have to get in and out of a porta-potty in the dark quickly.

The response was overwhelming - we got compliments all through the night (went to an after party as well, and could ride roller coasters in the costume without any damage to it), and during the run anybody we passed would comment. Best race *ever* in terms of interactions. The Identity Disks were $1 frisbees with a 4" middle holes cut by a hole saw, coated in Plasti-Dip and with frosted plastic tubing secured with E6000 again to run the ELwire through… they could be hooked to the backpack, or run independently (my wife had hers mounted, while I ran carrying mine the whole way… the run was only about 4-5 miles all told so holding a prop was fine). The pictures above are of my wife Laura before the race… lit up like that she was impossible to loose in the crowds, and I wish I had more shots of her outfit from the back because in the dark, in a race… this looks spectacular! Mine was similar but with the different design for Sam on the back, hips, and breastplate of course (I ran out of time to do Sam's legs; next time). I'd post more pictures, but this gives you the idea and my wife looked *FAR* better than I did in that wig and eye makeup.

Again, thank you so much to everyone who's contributed to this thread over the years - your ideas, hard work, and inspiration are continuing to have ripple effects… sometimes in places (like the costumed running community) you might not even have heard of :).

#1 comment on the run? "You guys win the costume contest hands down". #2 comment… "hey, did you guys know there's a TRON 3? Are you going to do that?" Hmm… now I'm thinking. A dangerous pastime I know ;)

--
Brian Davis

Attachments

• a_IMG_9741.jpg
    a_IMG_9741.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 210
  • a_IMG_9742.jpg
    a_IMG_9742.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 186
View attachment 476405

So to reply to an ancient thread… first time here on the RPForums, but I was directed here (to this thread) by some folks who do running costumes. My wife and I had a night race (a 5K with a scavenger hunt sort of thing after) at Disney's Animal Kingdom… and we almost always run in costume. TRON is a Disney property, and it lights up… so I really wanted to go this route.

And this thread was a godsend!

For everyone who, over *many* years, has contributed to it, believe it or not it's still referenced, and used, by those of us trying to come up to the standards we see around us in the Cosplay world. It helped immensely… Thank You!

Our costumes were basic, but based on ELwire. A pattern was made for each piece and each light pattern, with the light pattern piece cut from csrdstock and had the ELwire Scotch taped in place. The front surface was 3mm EVA foam (wire was 2.7mm HiBright from CoolNeon, so it would be embedded completely in the EVA foam; EVA foam triple-coated with spray-on Plasti-Dip) with channels cut, then the wire secured to card stock glued in, then a 2mm or 5mm EVA backing glued to the back; all glue was E6000, which worked pretty well. The ELwire channels were then covered with a piece of window diffuser held in place with black electrical tape which is an amazingly good match for the Plasti-dipped EVA foam. The foam 'armor' was than held to a fabric 'backpack' (patterned on a lumber-reservoir running hydration pack) with industrial strength Velcro and Velcro strapping tape. Unlike the method advocated here earlier, where the ELwire is covered and only the diffuse reflection is seen, we ran the ELwire under the diffuser "in plane view", and it worked great - when moving there were no hot spots to be seen, and it's only in some pictures of the larger light panels that you can "see the wire". The back plates were built-up layered 5mm EVA foam, with the curves around them being done with ELwire through frosted plastic tubing (for ice makers etc.) instead of the channel method.

The biggest difference we had was these had to work for running… which meant they had to take some abuse, back tightly in a luggage (the race was away), and have zero bounce, as well as of course not shorting out. Connections were soldered, with quick-connects between pieces, and due to the expected heat (Florida in May, even at night) we didn't want to do the gauntlets or heavy legs… but I *really* wanted Quorra's light strip down the leg. Our under layer was all running tech wear however, and we didn't want to ruin a pair of running tights (or as it turned out capri's… having your choice of undergarments for a race is a good thing). So the light strip was built the same as the other armor pieces, but metal washers were embedded in the under layer. A strip with four enclosed rare-earth magnets was slide inside the running tights, and held the leg lighting strip very securely in place… for the next version of this I would do that for *all* the leg lighting. It allowed the wearer to strip off the costume in seconds without damage, and put it back on in under a minute… again a special and necessary requirement when you are running a race and may have to get in and out of a porta-potty in the dark quickly.

The response was overwhelming - we got compliments all through the night (went to an after party as well, and could ride roller coasters in the costume without any damage to it), and during the run anybody we passed would comment. Best race *ever* in terms of interactions. The Identity Disks were $1 frisbees with a 4" middle holes cut by a hole saw, coated in Plasti-Dip and with frosted plastic tubing secured with E6000 again to run the ELwire through… they could be hooked to the backpack, or run independently (my wife had hers mounted, while I ran carrying mine the whole way… the run was only about 4-5 miles all told so holding a prop was fine). The pictures above are of my wife Laura before the race… lit up like that she was impossible to loose in the crowds, and I wish I had more shots of her outfit from the back because in the dark, in a race… this looks spectacular! Mine was similar but with the different design for Sam on the back, hips, and breastplate of course (I ran out of time to do Sam's legs; next time). I'd post more pictures, but this gives you the idea and my wife looked *FAR* better than I did in that wig and eye makeup.

Again, thank you so much to everyone who's contributed to this thread over the years - your ideas, hard work, and inspiration are continuing to have ripple effects… sometimes in places (like the costumed running community) you might not even have heard of :).

#1 comment on the run? "You guys win the costume contest hands down". #2 comment… "hey, did you guys know there's a TRON 3? Are you going to do that?" Hmm… now I'm thinking. A dangerous pastime I know ;)

--
Brian Davis

Great take on the costumes, especially as they took the abuse of running and such. Oh Yeh, and welcome to the forum. Tron costumes brought me to this forum as well back in the day, never looked back since, so many cool things to make :)

Last edited:
^ That's cool. Can't wait to see that with a coat of paint.

And on another note, so awesome to see that this thread is still going after all this time!

I'll be giving this thread some more love too as soon as my new workshop/shed is finished, not enough room to swing a disc in the one I have at the moment :/

<edit> Oh Yeh, and great job on the bike, hope to see more :thumbsup

So I'm looking into possibly doing a Tron: Legacy costume. The short-jacket build from the scene in which Flynn creates Clu. For a Tron costume, it seems pretty straight forward with a minimum of lighting.

So I was wondering if this thread contains a best-practices post/page concerning this specific build and ID discs in general. I would like to study that and get my bearings.

I would also need to figure out what the jacket, pants, and shoes really look like. Anyone have a solid idea of what items to get, or what patterns to use to replicate these items?

Thanks, Everyone.

It's all somewhere in this thread (all 222 pages of it!), but here's what I remember. The jacket is an AlpineStars motorcycle jacket, and as such, the genuine article is pretty expensive. I trolled the local Burlington Coat Factory and snagged a pleather coat that looked close enough, then added two vertical strips of EL tape from luminousfilm.com for the effect. I hid the wiring and power supply in the jacket's pockets. Turned out pretty well and didn't take a ton of time/effort to make.

tron_costume_finished2.JPG

Modding one of the toy identity discs takes a bit more effort, but there should be tutorials around here. Also, at one time, SoulInertia was making some upgrade pieces and may still be doing so.

I was sad to hear that Disney axed Tron 3 (for now), but still enjoy Legacy and seeing all the cool costumes!

Last edited:
It's all somewhere in this thread (all 222 pages of it!), but here's what I remember. The jacket is an AlpineStars motorcycle jacket, and as such, the genuine article is pretty expensive. I trolled the local Burlington Coat Factory and snagged a pleather coat that looked close enough, then added to vertical strips of EL tape from luminousfilm.com for the effect. I hid the wiring and power supply in the jacket's pockets. Turned out pretty well and didn't take a ton of time/effort to make.

https://www.rdwebb.com/webmaster/misc/tron_costume_finished2.JPG

Modding one of the toy identity discs takes a bit more effort, but there should be tutorials around here. Also, at one time, SoulInertia was making some upgrade pieces and may still be doing so.

I was sad to hear that Disney axed Tron 3 (for now), but still enjoy Legacy and seeing all the cool costumes!

Thank you for responding, I appreciate it.

I did look into it a bit more and discovered the Alpinestars NYC jacket. Then I discovered that the only ones for sale now are women's cut/sizes. Can't find men's in stock anywhere. If it was the same price as the women's jackets I would have bought one. I guess I will have to find a substitute as well.

Soulintertia posted is right before mine. Looks like maybe he's just doing the whole disc now. I should probably buy a toy disc while I have the chance. Is there a preferred model to buy?

Yeah, I was bummed out about Tron 3 being cancelled as well. Perhaps they'll change their mind someday.

BTW, outfit looks great. I hope I can have one for myself someday.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back