Tron Legacy Costume

Got my Rinzler sub dye print in today! Can't wait to sew it up. Once the first suit is done, I'll make any additional edits and offer it for sale.

print.jpg

My suit is being sewn by Raven Roth, who put together my MGS Gray Fox sub dye. In the meantime, took some of the reflective tape I'm gonna use on the suit, and did the edges of my two discs!

disc1.jpg disc2.jpg

Looks great!! Where did you have your pattern sub-printed?

Fabric on Demand. They're a bit pricey ($140 for a suit print), but their color and fabric weight are some of the best I've come across. Little color fading when stretching and the fabric has nice thickness.

Sorry for the spam, but just got the first photo back of a proper Rinzler shoot from WonderCon!

Helmet by Crimson490
Sub dye painted by me, printed by Fabric On Demand, sewn by Raven Roth of Unicorn Sushi
Photo by BlizzardTerrak Photography, suit lighting/effects by me

DSC_0260.jpg

More will be posted each day on my fb page: www.facebook.com/EffektdCosplay

Hey guys!
So... I'm late to the party. I know, I get that. But I've been cosplaying for a few years here, and it's finally time for me to tackle one of my dream projects... unfortunately it's intimidating me already and I have only begun even looking at it. It'd be one thing if we were doing a regular Tron, or a Legacy suit, but...

I'm going big.

tron__fragment___fan_film_script_by_codebreaker2001-d50m2iz.jpg

So, I suppose the first obvious question is: Is this even physically possible.

The second (for me) is: In my research, I'm finding ample supply of different colored EL tape that could work for pieces of this, and while it would be a time and money investment, I think my bigger question is that is EL Tape even feasable from a power point of view, with multiple battery packs in the back of suit. Of course, traditional LEDs are also a possibility, doing a "2-layer" design utilizing negative space, but that will most likely be the warmest option (and I will already be dying of sweat in this).

In summary: EL Tape: Can it be powered, or even be done, to make a design this complex? I have electronics and soldering experience, but never worked with EL before, in either its wire or tape forms.

Any advice would be appreciated, and yes, I'm slowly going back and trying to read through this thread too, but I'm not seeing anything yet on the scale of what I'm looking at here.

Thanks a lot! I'll keep you guys updated with the work I'm doing as well. My cosplay page is http://www.facebook.com/alhoncosplay, where I'm actually working on a shirt from Myst Online right now, but Tron work takes my next priority.

Hey guys!
So... I'm late to the party. I know, I get that. But I've been cosplaying for a few years here, and it's finally time for me to tackle one of my dream projects... unfortunately it's intimidating me already and I have only begun even looking at it. It'd be one thing if we were doing a regular Tron, or a Legacy suit, but...

I'm going big.

View attachment 620440

So, I suppose the first obvious question is: Is this even physically possible.

The second (for me) is: In my research, I'm finding ample supply of different colored EL tape that could work for pieces of this, and while it would be a time and money investment, I think my bigger question is that is EL Tape even feasable from a power point of view, with multiple battery packs in the back of suit. Of course, traditional LEDs are also a possibility, doing a "2-layer" design utilizing negative space, but that will most likely be the warmest option (and I will already be dying of sweat in this).

In summary: EL Tape: Can it be powered, or even be done, to make a design this complex? I have electronics and soldering experience, but never worked with EL before, in either its wire or tape forms.

Any advice would be appreciated, and yes, I'm slowly going back and trying to read through this thread too, but I'm not seeing anything yet on the scale of what I'm looking at here.

Thanks a lot! I'll keep you guys updated with the work I'm doing as well. My cosplay page is http://www.facebook.com/alhoncosplay, where I'm actually working on a shirt from Myst Online right now, but Tron work takes my next priority.

Firstly, welcome to the RPF :)

Your a man after my own heart, Jet from 2.0 is one of my holy grails (next to Abraxas).

I've actually looked into what it would take to make the costume, cost and power soon became the two major considerations/concerns.

Could be done with EL sheet but it's one downfall is it won't conform to compound curves so certain areas of the costume would be difficult to pull off.

There is another option. There is a new form of EL tech which is applied by spray. It's not an "off the shelf" product and requires a trained individual to apply it properly but labs are popping up all over the US (company called DarksideScientific) and there's even one opening up here in the UK (was offered a training slot so saving like crazy). It's much more power efficient and laughs in tge face of compound curves, though as far as I know, no ones looked at the clothing application possibilities other than myself (any design would require a rubber base pattern on which to apply EL in order to isolate the conductive element from the wearer), but in theory it can be done.

Power also might not be such an issue if you approached each part of the costume in a modular fasion whereby each section would have its own smaller power pack and inverter. Would save having to try and hide one huge bulky power pack and inverter (both would be quite large).

A couple things to note:

• When using any kind of EL, you need to take good measures to isolate any connections as it uses A/C to operate and even small voltages have a big bite. Look up Plasti-Dip, it's also known as liquid electric tape.

• EL is classified as a Light Emitting Capacitor, if you have a test meter with capacitance measuring, you can work out what size inverter is needed (and thus power requirements) to light up any given piece of EL.

• EL sheet/tape/wire must be sealed where its been cut. The phosphor in the EL absorbs moisture from the atmosphere which shortens it's life.

• Keep reading through the whole thread (I did when I started out), there's a ton of hints running throughout and I've thrown in a tutorial on cutting and reconnecting EL sheet.

Hello Everyone!

I'm going to a TRON party and really want to get some Daft Punk helmets for kids made - anybody have any idea how to do this or where to get them in a week?

Also toying with being a guard, does anyone have any suggestions on getting a suit made? Or the lighting for that? I have some money to spend on it just stressed about the time turnaround.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

A week is not enough time. And I don't know if anyone makes kid-sized Daft Punk helmets.

If you want something that quick go on ebay and search for Tron costumes. Find something that looks good enough that will ship and arrive in time.

Does anybody has a link or pictures of the jacket that Kosinski had during shooting the movie or after they shot the movie, i remember that i saw him wearing a leather jacket with just one EL pannel stripe on the zipper spot.
Thank you for your help. :)

Hi! Here's my cosplay. I'm supposed to be a Resistance program.

Cc3SWhV.jpg

I just ordered one of SoulInertia's disc kits so hopefully that's step one of getting this costume to pro level... next up is the papercraft-resin-fiberglass helmet process, I want to use either an Anon helmet (thankfully people have already .pdo-ified it) or commission someone to design one for me (or even do it myself!), and then replace the spandex undersuit with a hexagonal-patterned one, or just spend the time with a ruler and a stencil and a silver sharpie to do it by hand. Speaking of which, does anyone still do that hex-pattern fabric? Nobody seems to make it anymore, which is a real bummer! I'd like to make gloves and stuff with it. Also on the list of things I want to do: add lighting to the arms and legs, as well as create a disc dock with magnets for the upgraded disc to stick to. It's not much, but it's a start! 'u'

First off, I wanted to thank all of the folks who posted all their hard work, ideas, and problems here!

I know its been a while since the movie came out, but one of my boys asked me a couple years back to do Tron for Halloween. I recall it was already mid-October and we had a different family theme already set up. I told him we could do it some other time when he wanted to help with making the costumes. He brought it up again last month and pulled out his black compression shirt and pants and wanted to know what we could do with it for Tron costumes. I have plowed through this massive information dump the last couple of weeks and have ordered a mixture of lighting options that should be here today. We have 5 family members so I'm going to use a couple of different methods to see which costume turns out the best. We already vetoed glow in the dark tape. Too bad because I have yards of awesome GITD self-adhesive tape but it just doesn't show up well at all unless it is actually dark.
- I ordered an official Disney costume for my youngest and plan to try the "lighting down the middle of the reflective strip" on that costume.
- I'm going to add EL wire to some thrift store pleather top and leggings for a Quorra outfit.
- My older 2 boys are going to add LED lighting to motocross / hockey / baseball gear we have about the house.
- I would love to go all out for myself and make some oversized, armored version of a TRON 2.0 IC Regular or an original TRON guard... but given the time frame and 4 other costumes to work on, a simple edge illuminated Kevin Flynn style robe sounds much more likely.

Passing down the legacy of Tron to your children...sniff sniff...I'm getting misty! Halloween is how it started for my boys getting into Tron. Best of luck, and please show off your hard work!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back