Tron Legacy Costume

I think you need a minimum number of posts before you can have an avatar or profile picture (other RPFers, please correct me if I have that wrong).

I had trouble with this also. I don't think there is a minimum number of posts...because I did it with probably less than 10 posts. From what I can tell, there are 2 pictures that you can have. There is your profile picture and your avatar. I think the one that shows up in posts in your avatar. If you go to "User CP" and go down the side menu to "Edit Avatar", that should be the one that shows up on posts. Just upload your picture there and you should be set.

Hopefully that was right... :confused haha

302592_10150265448165887_582020886_8197844_4427390_n.jpg

315648_10150265448195887_582020886_8197845_7426138_n.jpg

:love

finally got it to work!!!!

Hi all,
I've been trying to read at least most of this thread and I'm really blown away by all of your research and work. It's helped me decide on the best method of lighting for my planned siren suit (which won't be lit at all due to budget and the fact that electronics are beyond my comprehension). I will be building the rest of my costume though, including the shoes and a white Gem wig, and will try to document my build.

I've already purchased my fabric, which is the white and silver gray metallic 2-way stretch from Spandex House. The gray is a bit lighter than what I would like but I didn't want to go silver. They also have a better sheen to them than the stretch vinyl, which is overly shiny and will require nonstick sewing tools if I need to sew on the shiny side.

Spandex House also has reflective 4-way stretch which I will most likely be using in lieu of lights. I'm still camera testing it to see how bright it is.

I hope to be done in about 5 weeks, well before NYCC. I look forward to any further developments!

Annisse, How far along are you with your new costume?

If you are referring to my Siren Gem costume. As of now all I need to do is add on the reflective tape, MAYBE the latex tip fingers I still need to take molds of, if that doesn't work out due to time constraints I will use regular glove tip fingers for now till I figure the latex fingers out. Then I just need to style my wig. HA! Yeah wish me luck. I am outta here Wed. night on a red eye flight to Atlanta for DragonCON.

My Siren suit is coming along...slowly -_-. Took a break on it to work on a commission and 3 other costumes of mine...found out I HATED the stretch pvc I got, resorted to 4-way stretch spandex and it worked like a charm! Will hopefully have pics of the suit before Dragon*con, if not after.

I wasn't able to find the 9 West shoes, but my friend's dad from Canada is retired, and has a wood shop...he made me the bases for free!
320795_222728354441246_193671420680273_544014_4536573_n.jpg

They've got a first coat in this pic, and I noticed I needed to fill in a few spots I missed...otherwise...WOO! Also got my contacts in...need to amp up the eyeshadow a little.
251588_215209865193095_193671420680273_523287_5361245_n.jpg

Has anyone bought EL tape from CoolNeon? Is it good quality?? I find it to be a good deal and I really want to buy it.... especially cause I just got paid.... XD
Also, do I have to buy a separate inverter, or do they send me one?

Last edited:
Has anyone bought EL tape from CoolNeon? Is it good quality?? I find it to be a good deal and I really want to buy it.... especially cause I just got paid.... XD
Also, do I have to buy a separate inverter, or do they send me one?

I purchased the EL ribbons from CoolNeon, they are very good quality. Their drivers are OK, the power in plug is pretty bad tho. I had to hard wire the power in to have bettr contact. But you can also cut down the middle to make skinner strips. Also you can't FOLD the ribbons to form shapes.... I tried that and burn 2 of the tapes. (ouch!) I will post pictures of my Quorra costume from Pax Prime 2011 yesterday. ;)

Yes, you will need the drivers and battery packs.

Thanks for everyone's input and research on the Tron costumes, I had a great time creating and wearing the costume.

Yesterday, I went to Pax Prime 2011 in Seattle, and had loads of fun. Here are some of the pictures, the darker ones are blurry. sorry!

I used the following:

EL ribbon + EL wire + electronic accessories from Cool Neon
Tron light disc - Modded to be on none flashing
black matte Vinyl - body and skirt
wig + boots + sword + opera gloves from buycostumes.com
Black Stretchy spandex - under shirt, leggings
black Velcro sticky back - 6 yards
Chinese take out quart size container - disk hub :)
corrugated paper box - battery pack

7472-p8270593-1.jpg

7473-p8270573.jpg

7476-p8270555.jpg

I purchased the EL ribbons from CoolNeon, they are very good quality. Their drivers are OK, the power in plug is pretty bad tho. I had to hard wire the power in to have bettr contact. But you can also cut down the middle to make skinner strips. Also you can't FOLD the ribbons to form shapes.... I tried that and burn 2 of the tapes. (ouch!) I will post pictures of my Quorra costume from Pax Prime 2011 yesterday. ;)

Yes, you will need the drivers and battery packs.

Thanks for the info!!! I really appreciate it! :)

Almost finished with my costume for Dragon*Con. All I have left is to make a skirt since the pants I have turned out to be see through when photographed. Here's my finished coat though. Don't mind my packing mess or the giant hole in the door. That's a long story.

Tronfront.jpg

Tronfrontlit.jpg
Lights on with no flash.
Tronback.jpg
Back with disc mount in place. It's held on by straps under the costume. I used some random screws I had around to help hold the fabric to it.
Tronbackwithdisc.jpg

Tronbackwithdisclit.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back