Tron Legacy Costume

I too think it looks really awesome. Normally I'm not a huge fan of the diffusion method but it really allowed you to put out more detail into the costumes lighted sections that other methods lack. Good job! :thumbsup
Thanks Soul!!!
Tough love in this thread, but I got you and Annisse backin me up :cool
Thanks again for the disc mod kit, people freakin loved it!
HUGE hit at the Chicago con

I too think it looks really awesome. Normally I'm not a huge fan of the diffusion method but it really allowed you to put out more detail into the costumes lighted sections that other methods lack. Good job! :thumbsup

Thanks man!
I wish I was more crafty with things like el panels and luminous film,
thus I had to default to the el wire method...and I could have done
it a little better, but I forgot a step in the process and lost some of
the diffusion. Thank you again!

Hey all. Trying to do a Tron styled jacket for Halloween. I have some questions about the EL wire I recently got in the mail. How bright are they supposed to shine? Mine seem kind of dim. All the pictures I've seen of the wire (either from costumes from you all or online) look pretty bright, even in lighted rooms. I can barely tell mine are on unless I put them in really low light. Could the problem be with the type of wire I purchased? Or, maybe it's the inverter (I doesn't say what voltage it is)? How can I get my wires to glow brighter? Here's some pictures for reference.

IMG_1930.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

And here's the listing where I bought the wire: Amazon.com: Portable EL Wire 10 Feet Long (Blue): Everything Else
Thank you for any help!

Yeah I'm not all too crafty with panels and such or even the wire. Either way I'm also liking the armor. Did you use eva foam?
Thanks man!
I wish I was more crafty with things like el panels and luminous film,
thus I had to default to the el wire method...and I could have done
it a little better, but I forgot a step in the process and lost some of
the diffusion. Thank you again!

Its the type of wire. They have high bright el wire but you'd probably have to get it off a website rather than ebay or amazon. I have the same type of wire you have that I put in my classic Tron disc and its not bright whatsoever
Hey all. Trying to do a Tron styled jacket for Halloween. I have some questions about the EL wire I recently got in the mail. How bright are they supposed to shine? Mine seem kind of dim. All the pictures I've seen of the wire (either from costumes from you all or online) look pretty bright, even in lighted rooms. I can barely tell mine are on unless I put them in really low light. Could the problem be with the type of wire I purchased? Or, maybe it's the inverter (I doesn't say what voltage it is)? How can I get my wires to glow brighter? Here's some pictures for reference.

IMG_1930.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

And here's the listing where I bought the wire: Amazon.com: Portable EL Wire 10 Feet Long (Blue): Everything Else
Thank you for any help!

Its the type of wire. They have high bright el wire but you'd probably have to get it off a website rather than ebay or amazon. I have the same type of wire you have that I put in my classic Tron disc and its not bright whatsoever
You might also need a bigger inverter. They should be rated in terms of length of EL wire (or area of EL sheet) that they will drive.

I'm not sure about EL tape, but this site sells cutable EL sheets that are WOWO. I'm planning on going with that.
Here's the site: EL Sheets

Thanks! That was the closest item I saw, too. I'll ask them if they have any WOWO tape. Doubtful, but worth a shot, right?

Time to crack out the calculator and see how much more expensive this costume got. :lol

NO KIDDING!! Especially when you have NO BODY FORM!!!
Had to make this sucker complete by just holding it up to my body,
then checking it in the mirror, then making cuts, then sizing it up again,
and so on and so on. Pain in the *****. And on top of it all, the material I
used somehow shrunk when I plastidiped and pod podged it :unsure Had to
totally change it over-night in our hotel so I could actually wear for just
one day of the con.

You pulled it off well -- can't even tell that you had to make last minute changes. The costume looks great!

You pulled it off well -- can't even tell that you had to make last minute changes. The costume looks great!

Thanks a lot!!! Yeah, was up all night in my hotel hacking up the whole lower half lol

Yeah I'm not all too crafty with panels and such or even the wire. Either way I'm also liking the armor. Did you use eva foam?

Thanks again man!!! I used neoprene from the foam-by-mail website. It actually was really crappy material. It ripped ALL OVER the suit. I now have to basically re-do the whole thing. Do you know a good material? I've heard about eva foam, but don't know where to get it, or how to work with it. Check out my flickr, and you can see the armor detail a little better. Tried to add as much detail as I could, with the little skills and materials I had.

Chicago Comic Con 2011 - a set on Flickr

Good to know. There's so many sites out there selling the stuff. Does anyone have a good recommendation for sites selling the brightest EL Wire? ModernDayMarc's seems pretty effective.

Thanks a lot!!! Yeah, was up all night in my hotel hacking up the whole lower half lol

Thanks again man!!! I used neoprene from the foam-by-mail website. It actually was really crappy material. It ripped ALL OVER the suit. I now have to basically re-do the whole thing. Do you know a good material? I've heard about eva foam, but don't know where to get it, or how to work with it. Check out my flickr, and you can see the armor detail a little better. Tried to add as much detail as I could, with the little skills and materials I had.

Since you went the neoprene way, I recommend a wetsuit as I did, but as I have said many times, it must be at least two sizes bigger. Nineplus has some from 2008-09 still in stock all black, I used one for me and one for my girlfriend.
Congrats anyway with the armor look, it's extremely accurate!

Since you went the neoprene way, I recommend a wetsuit as I did, but as I have said many times, it must be at least two sizes bigger. Nineplus has some from 2008-09 still in stock all black, I used one for me and one for my girlfriend.
Congrats anyway with the armor look, it's extremely accurate!

Thanks dude!! I'm super jealous of your light panels! If only I could have mine like yours, that'd be so much better than how mine looked. And thank you, I definitely paid attention to all the cuts and shapes all over the suit..there's a lot! Pain in the frickin butt to try to make that all work. I'll try that wet suit idea. Were you able to bend your arms and legs ok with the lights all over them? I couldn't bend my arms at all, and the lights on my legs broke after about 2+ hours of walking around the con

Thanks dude!! I'm super jealous of your light panels! If only I could have mine like yours, that'd be so much better than how mine looked. And thank you, I definitely paid attention to all the cuts and shapes all over the suit..there's a lot! Pain in the frickin butt to try to make that all work. I'll try that wet suit idea. Were you able to bend your arms and legs ok with the lights all over them? I couldn't bend my arms at all, and the lights on my legs broke after about 2+ hours of walking around the con

In fact I avoided to put tape on those areas on purpose, since I assumed that would be a problem. Less accuracy, but tape is too expensive to take that risk!
However my girlfriend had in fact tape on the elbows and it wasn't a problem, but Quorra's arms design allows more bending than Sam's.
And she was kinda uncomfortable since she didn't want to move her arms! :lol

I've heard about eva foam, but don't know where to get it, or how to work with it. Check out my flickr, and you can see the armor detail a little better. Tried to add as much detail as I could, with the little skills and materials I had.

The suit definitely turned out awesome! One thing I noticed about yours is you really took the time to make the light lines thin and thick. Lol my fiance always looks at some of the tron pics and is like "that suit is awesome but the light strips are to wide!" Obviously these are all work in progress and very few people can get costumes perfect due to budget and time etc but still....good eye lol!

Also for EVA foam http://site.iwebcenters.com/afoammart_2/specialfxcat.html is a pretty good place to get it for online. They aren't the cheapest place I guess but they have a good selection and they're easy to find. And they're not that expensive either....not compared to neoprene. Also another neoprene site I found was called Neoprene Fabric, Sheets and Neoprene Rubber I don't know if you saw that place or if that is where you got your neoprene from but they send you samples if you want to see what their neoprene is like and they have a pretty good selection.

The suit definitely turned out awesome! One thing I noticed about yours is you really took the time to make the light lines thin and thick. Lol my fiance always looks at some of the tron pics and is like "that suit is awesome but the light strips are to wide!" Obviously these are all work in progress and very few people can get costumes perfect due to budget and time etc but still....good eye lol!

Thank you!!!! This is my first time cosplaying/making a costume, TOTAL noob right here :rolleyes. Thanks for noticing the lines and everything, totally studied every single line, angle, and cut in the suit. Don't really ever see the FULL suit being made, so really paid attention to every thing. Screen accuracy was my goal. Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into them!! If you hop over to the sucker punch thread, I also made the sparkly Babydoll, I know you and I have talked about that film in the past. Lemme know what you think! There's also more pics in my flickr set. :)

Wow thats disappointing to hear about the neoprene. I only really know about foam. Some people go with eva and some people get cheap and use craft foam. which if you pull it off right can end up looking really good

Wow thats disappointing to hear about the neoprene. I only really know about foam. Some people go with eva and some people get cheap and use craft foam. which if you pull it off right can end up looking really good

That's the thing, I don't know the proper techniques to work with that stuff
:unsure

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back