Tron Legacy Costume

^ The topic of developing a how-to had been raised, but the sheer magnitude of the task scared people away. Plus, many of the techniques for illuminating the costumes continues to evolve even now, so setting it all down in a how-to would not be constructive.

If anything, check out Annisee's posts on the topic; they're a good "Cliff's Notes" to the struggle for the best costume lighting.

^ The topic of developing a how-to had been raised, but the sheer magnitude of the task scared people away. Plus, many of the techniques for illuminating the costumes continues to evolve even now, so setting it all down in a how-to would not be constructive.

If anything, check out Annisee's posts on the topic; they're a good "Cliff's Notes" to the struggle for the best costume lighting.

Thank you, but most of the technique's I learned on how to light up my Quorra costume were all learned from here in the the RPF Tron costume thread.

What I know now, I sure wish I would have known back last year in August when I made my 1st Quorra costume in reflective tape when I did want to light it up originally but had absoultely no idea how to and this thread was like only on page 20 when the members where still trying to figure out how to light up their Tron costumes.

Consider yourself lucky if you are new and just joining now, most of us have saved you the leg work of figuring it all out. Doing a little digging threw this thread is alot less work then all the research that has been accomplished in here this far. ;)

Here's a new pic, and my now FAV so far, that I found online of me in my Quorra costume taken at Comic Con during the masquerade party on Sat. night.

anyone good with photoshop? I really want this pic of me PS'd into a Tron background ;)

rmohnl.jpg

Annisse, I had another idea last night about the pink lights...colored gels. Hopefully I can mask or eliminate the pink by running it through a filter before it hits the diffusion layer.

In regards to Photoshop, is that the largest version of that photo you have? Is there any particular background you would like tried?

Heya :D oh my goodness everyones costumes are SO amazing! i'm so jealous aha. i'm looking to make a Gem/Siren costume. the only thing i've got is hair and makeup! i need a little help with materials and lights etc. she wears a silver and white spandex looking body suit..anyone made one before? all the sirens' shoes are amazing, a cut out wedge, has anyone made any or bought any from anywhere? one last thing (sorry for being a complete noob and asking 192371 questions!) could someone please tell me the link to buy a white/white disk? thankyou! :D

could someone please tell me the link to buy a white/white disk? thankyou! :D

If you look up Flynn identity disc or tron white identity disc on google you'll come up with some of the white discs on amazon and ebay. But they're being sold right now at ridiculous prices because they're hard to get a hold of and not many were made. Apparently the discs are no longer being made and sold in stores so now they're even harder to get a hold of. If you want to pay $100 for a white disc then go the route of amazon (I wouldn't considering they're only supposed to be somewhere between $15-$25). You may find one around somewhere at a store that used to sell Tron toys but I'm not sure what store that would be in England.

Initially I bought two black discs and was going to paint them white because I couldn't find anything. Then we went to Dland this weekend and low and behold look what a nice employee found for us in the back:

284581_2333176608340_1217544577_2923105_5185134_n.jpg

Now that my fiance has his Castor disc I need to find another for my Gem lol.

Also if you do a search for Siren in this thread it will take you to posts containing any info about siren costumes that others have made. That's probably your best route to get info about what to do. The shoes are also no longer being produced I think so it's basically a constantly search ebay kind of deal for those. Or find something that matches close enough and mod it.

First up, I need to say this thread is amazing and to those of you who have actually taken on the massive task of creating a tron based outfit, i salute you!

I was planning on making a CLU outfit, but thanks to lack of time and general space in my flat i've decided to go with a program outfit of my own design. Namely all black shiny & matte contrast urban style clothing with EL tape detail. Should look pretty sweet.

Just bought myself some SUPRA TK society hi-tops cause i knew they would look awesome with EL tape, and here is a working sample. Not sure if i will permanently attach the EL tape, but its early days yet. Still got more EL to add just waiting on velcro and other wires to arrive in the post!

Whilst im on the subject of EL tape, does anyone know a good way to seal the end of the tape once its cut? I was thinking electrical tape would do the job?

284489_1700358848634_1827829894_1139296_4725529_n.jpg

First up, I need to say this thread is amazing and to those of you who have actually taken on the massive task of creating a tron based outfit, i salute you!

I was planning on making a CLU outfit, but thanks to lack of time and general space in my flat i've decided to go with a program outfit of my own design. Namely all black shiny & matte contrast urban style clothing with EL tape detail. Should look pretty sweet.

Just bought myself some SUPRA TK society hi-tops cause i knew they would look awesome with EL tape, and here is a working sample. Not sure if i will permanently attach the EL tape, but its early days yet. Still got more EL to add just waiting on velcro and other wires to arrive in the post!

Whilst im on the subject of EL tape, does anyone know a good way to seal the end of the tape once its cut? I was thinking electrical tape would do the job?
You could probably just use packing tape to seal it. That's what I've heard.

Electrical tape is what I was told to use. I am currently looking for clear electrical tape. I was told Home Depot has it, but I have not found it there yet (only looked quickly). I have also heard Wal-Mart has it, but have not looked there yet.

You could probably just use packing tape to seal it. That's what I've heard.
+1 It's clear and you don't see it.
You just need to keep water from getting in there.
Electrical tape does not stay on under heat, leaves a gummy residue and looks like crap.

The lightsheet guidance in this thread is impressive, but I guess I need to start with the base outfit - in other words, something to install the lightsheet onto. I don't want to just buy some black UnderArmour Heatgear and black running shoes.

However, based on what I've seen in this thread, the Sam Flynn armor is completely custom? No found items or clothing incorporated?

The lightsheet guidance in this thread is impressive, but I guess I need to start with the base outfit - in other words, something to install the lightsheet onto. I don't want to just buy some black UnderArmour Heatgear and black running shoes.

However, based on what I've seen in this thread, the Sam Flynn armor is completely custom? No found items or clothing incorporated?

That statement is pretty much correct. I am currently using a wetsuit that I found online. I'm using it as a base layer and I'm going to cut out the openings on the suit to look like Sam Flynn's. To create the detail, I'm using a thinner neoprene cloth and cutting out all the shapes that I need and then will glue it down onto the wetsuit with neoprene glue. Once that is set, I think I'm going to use plasti-dip spray to give it a uniform look. If you want to go that route, I would suggest buying a wetsuit that is 1 or 2 sizes larger so it won't stretch. If it stretches, it can be difficult to attach the lighting to it.

Are there any good reference sources? Unfortunately, there's no Tron: Legacy Visual Dictionary. :(

Are you looking for Sam Flynn armor pictures? If so, I just went to google and found a bunch under Image search. I went into the advanced search and selected Large image size. There's a bunch of good reference pics there.

I did indeed look on Google Images; I found tons of that motorcycle jacket, but didn't come up with any hi-res images that gave a clear full-torso shot of Sam in armor. Maybe I should have tinkered with my search terms.

But that hi-res gallery should do me just fine. Thanks to you both!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back