Tron Legacy Costume

Annisse how large of a sheet from Flatlite did you need to cover your suit? Did it require multiples? Also did you get the split electrode ones or the parallel ?

I am interested in using a similar method to do a Clu costume but don't know how much to order.

I suggest to take measurements of how much Lite Tape you THINK you will need.

Make your CLU costume design then get a tape measure and measure where the lighting will go that is what I did for my Quorra costume. I had to go over and over the calculations to make sure I ordered the correct amount, that stuff ain't that cheap, and somehow I got it right.

Patrick at LuminousFilm is very helpful too. So, whatever questions you may have just write him and ask.

I don't have my measurements with me right now for my Quorra suit but I ordered a 1 inch white El Panel Lite tape for the right and 1/2" for the rest of the suit. All in all with the inverter ($66) I believe I am powering 203 sq. inches of Lite Tape all together my total was a little over $200.

I am using split electrode El panel Lite Tape. So you gotta make sure you get the right inverter. Like I said, Patrick will hook you up. He will tell you exactly what inverter you need for the amount of Lite Tape you require.

Annisse how large of a sheet from Flatlite did you need to cover your suit? Did it require multiples? Also did you get the split electrode ones or the parallel ?

I am interested in using a similar method to do a Clu costume but don't know how much to order.

I would recommend something flexible (like silicone-based epoxy), otherwise you'll create another stress point where the wire exits the epoxy glob.

What brand flexible (silicone based) epoxy would you recommend? I usually get stuff like that at Home Depot. So maybe a brand from Home Depot you can recommend to me.

Thanks!

What brand flexible (silicone based) epoxy would you recommend? I usually get stuff like that at Home Depot. So maybe a brand from Home Depot you can recommend to me.

Thanks!

You could try a silicone RTV like this at Home Depot, but it looks like you can only order by the case online. Here's similar stuff at Lowe's.

Failing that you could try some of the GE Silicone II caulk here at Home Depot. They don't list it on the website, but I've used a green tube for outdoor use (gutters and siding) on a number of projects and it seems to stick pretty well.

Ultimately, you'll probably want to get a couple of products and test them out to see which sticks to the tape the best and doesn't peel as the tape is flexed.

Don't get caulk, that stuff takes forever to dry and it still stays tacky. Get the loctite or pematex RTV from the auto parts store.

So I have been doing some thinking about the "duster" style jacket idea I had. I re-watched the End of Line club scene looking for inspiration. There are some really cool cloth like costumes in there. Anyway the idea I had was to combine something like twinight's guard costume with Zeus' jacket/tails thing. Twinight what did you use as a base beneath the foam? Did you use some sort of plastic? I was thinking noghide might work well as a base/armor look and then putting that on a cloth jacket/duster.

Anyone have some suggestions?

I have not tried to solder to a staple. I imagine it has to be soldered before attaching the the el tape other wise it would melt the plastic. I use the staple to hold the wire against the EL electrode. I have not had a wire pull of or break, but my problem is getting a good contact between wire and el tape. I use permatex defroster repair paint. It's essentially a copper conductive paint. I staple the wire to the el tape (after exposing the conductive surface) and then paint it which fills in the gaps and creates more surface contact area. With the thin conductor on the glowhut tape, it's difficult to keep the paint from shorting out against the other conductor when applying.
Once done, it held up on my kid's costume during comic con.
IMAG0949.jpg

Twinight, how did you expose the surface of the Phospor? I tried the Staple-Connector method to try to light up bits of this thickly-laminted GlowHut tape and they did not work in the least. I tried melting the plastic with a soldering iron, but that fried the phosphor on the spot. I tried cutting it with an exacto knife, but the stuff just flaked away with the laminate.

Twinight, how did you expose the surface of the Phospor? I tried the Staple-Connector method to try to light up bits of this thickly-laminted GlowHut tape and they did not work in the least. I tried melting the plastic with a soldering iron, but that fried the phosphor on the spot. I tried cutting it with an exacto knife, but the stuff just flaked away with the laminate.
I stuck the edge with a knife until you get one layer to peel up and ed the rest by hand. As you can see some of the phosphor came up too at times. Other times it stays on. I make sure I do the connections at the ends of the tapes that are hidden behind the foam. I also make sure I don't peel the laminate across the scribe line. It's too easy for a loose wire to bridge across and short out the connection.

So I have been doing some thinking about the "duster" style jacket idea I had. I re-watched the End of Line club scene looking for inspiration. There are some really cool cloth like costumes in there. Anyway the idea I had was to combine something like twinight's guard costume with Zeus' jacket/tails thing. Twinight what did you use as a base beneath the foam? Did you use some sort of plastic? I was thinking noghide might work well as a base/armor look and then putting that on a cloth jacket/duster.
Anyone have some suggestions?

There's nothing as a base except a large sheet of thin foam. The costume is thick enough where it isn't flexible except between panels when I have fewer layers. I'd probably not use this method again. The whole thing goes over my shoulders like a poncho.
I would do a cloth costume by edgestitching the EL tape to a fabric sleeve and attaching the sleeve to the costume. Or as in my jacket I just sewed a cler pvc pocket onto the clothing a slipped the El tape into it. The EL tape is too stiff to attach to the fabric directly in longer strips.

Yes, please let me know if it works out. I really hate that the strips are all pink in the daylight. Sunlight is just too strong over the lighted Lite Tape strips. If I can get rid of the pink phosper by covering them up I can wear my Quorra costume in the day time as Conventions. The lighting may not show up but as long as the strips are not showing pink it is not so bad. I missed showing my costume off the entire convention and only wore it just as the sun set, it was perfect, everyone was tripping out and amazed at my costume but, I missed out on getting any coverage walking around inside CON.

I got my light strip lighted and tested and the pink still shows through in the sun even with the frosted window film. I will post when I get the other methods tested.
----------------------------
Edit:

One problem that seems to be repeatable is when the diffusion layer is opaque enough to start obscuring the pink but close to the light strip the light reflects back to the pink and then illuminates the diffusion layer pinkish. The next step is to try adding some clear vinyl as a spacer.

Last edited:
One problem that seems to be repeatable is when the diffusion layer is opaque enough to start obscuring the pink but close to the light strip the light reflects back to the pink and then illuminates the diffusion layer pinkish. The next step is to try adding some clear vinyl as a spacer.
What happens if you use multiple layers of the diffusion layer? I assume the material is translucent, like a shower curtain?

What happens if you use multiple layers of the diffusion layer? I assume the material is translucent, like a shower curtain?

It is translucent. The same thing happens with multiple layers of diffusion. My initial test had five layers staggered and even five did not block out the pink from the sun and by five layers the light had a distinct pinkish cast when the EL was on. One layer of diffusion does not appear to cause the light to appear pink, but it does almost nothing to disguise the pink when not illuminated (even indoors).

I verified the reflected light by placing a sheet of paper over the EL strip. I then lifted the paper up and was able to reduce the pinkish hue of the light.

It is translucent. The same thing happens with multiple layers of diffusion. My initial test had five layers staggered and even five did not block out the pink from the sun and by five layers the light had a distinct pinkish cast when the EL was on. One layer of diffusion does not appear to cause the light to appear pink, but it does almost nothing to disguise the pink when not illuminated (even indoors).

I verified the reflected light by placing a sheet of paper over the EL strip. I then lifted the paper up and was able to reduce the pinkish hue of the light.

Yes, very disappointing the pink in the lite tape. That is why I didn't even bother wearing my Quorra suit to SDCC in the day time because I would have nothing but pics of me online of my suit and pink lights. Everyone would be like, why does she have pink strips in her suit. It does not look good at all in the day time.

Even with flash photography, it blows out my lights show up at all and the tape shows up pink in photos.

Kinda disappointing, but what can you do. A photographer really has to play with the settings in his camera to capture the light and the costumers suit just right, not to mention having a good PRO camera kinda helps. I think cell phone pics, flash off, are actually not that bad with Tron light up costumes. ;)

I just tried a couple drafting triangles as spacers and the problem seems to go away at 3/16" with five layers of film. With that kind of spacing and diffusion film the light is kind of dim though. And there is the impracticality of that much spacing on top of the EL.

Here's a photo of me and my friend's Tron costumes worn at last weeks con. EL wire method was used or our costumes.

Nice job! Your costumes look awesome! I just had a couple questions. What did you use for the white material? and is the EL wire in front or behind the white material?

Hello programs! For those wanting to check out someone dancing on stage in a Quorra TRON outfit go to you tube. Do a search for Tokyo Comicon. There's a video of a girl dancing on stage in her Quorra outfit. I lost the link, but if anybudy finds it please post it.

I feel like like I arrived at the party [very] late, but all I can say is WOW. I am blown away by the costumes in this thread, especially the Quorra costumes by Annisse and SheepGirl. I am convinced that I need to attempt my own Quorra costume now, or risk hating myself forever. :D

You all should be proud of your talent and hard work-- it really shines through in the finished products.

I feel like like I arrived at the party [very] late, but all I can say is WOW. I am blown away by the costumes in this thread, especially the Quorra costumes by Annisse and SheepGirl. I am convinced that I need to attempt my own Quorra costume now, or risk hating myself forever. :D

You all should be proud of your talent and hard work-- it really shines through in the finished products.
Welcome! I agree; it's great to see the massive talent of the RPF on display.

It's also cool that this thread has become a massive RPF record-breaker, too. :thumbsup

I picked up another jacket since the collar style of my previous one does not seem to exist in the world of Tron, and I don't want to modify it.
I like this one as it is something of a hybrid between the young Kevin jacket and the armor suits.
TJ.jpg

I'm sorry; I don't have the wherewithal to read through all 165 pages of this thread, but the pics I've seen look fantastic.

My son really would like a kick-ass Sam Flynn costume for Halloween. I have no problem putting in the work, so long as I know that I have the project mapped out, soup to nuts.

Is there any kind of tutorial that condenses the info in this thread somewhere? There are a lot of Tron tutorials on the web, but I prefer to stick with the guidance of RPF folks.

If this question has already been addressed in the thread, then I apologize in advance. It's just....165 pages....

Thanks,

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back