Tron Legacy Costume

Looks great Annisse!

I think I have a solution for the pink light strips, but I won't be able to test it until mine arrives. It is frosted window coating. It provides the UV protection recommended for outdoor use and should hide the pink as well as the line on the split electrode strips I am using.

Looks great Annisse!
Seconded! Kick-a$$!

I think I have a solution for the pink light strips, but I won't be able to test it until mine arrives. It is frosted window coating. It provides the UV protection recommended for outdoor use and should hide the pink as well as the line on the split electrode strips I am using.
That's a great idea. Would love to see how it turns o ut.

Finally finished my "Flashback Flynn" costume. Very proud. Should be a hit at the Halloween Bash at my college.

Reinforced motorcycle jacket, FINALLY found one with an "appropriate" collar AND the leather strip next to the zipper close. :D

EL Tape on zipper close, inner (on left) and outer (on right) of jacket. EL accents on shoes. And SoulInertia's Identity Disc Mod to top it off. I'm really glad with how it turned out.

230661_10150166826667741_715472740_7095035_479818_n.jpg

222585_10150166826517741_715472740_7095032_4258384_n.jpg

226644_10150166826752741_715472740_7095037_5368710_n.jpg

Let me know what you guys think!!!!! :)

Last edited:
One of the best Flynns I have seen in a while good job :thumbsup
Finally finished my "Flashback Flynn" costume. Very proud. Should be a hit at the Halloween Bash at my college.

Reinforced motorcycle jacket, FINALLY found one with an "appropriate" collar AND the leather strip next to the zipper close. :D

EL Tape on zipper close, inner (on left) and outer (on right) of jacket. EL accents on shoes. And SoulInertia's Identity Disc Mod to top it off. I'm really glad with how it turned out.

O_O

I have stumbled across something epic... joshuatw posted the source images from the iPad second screen app... THERE IS SO MUCH UNRELEASED STUFF IN THERE!!! Just of C.L.U. I found wireframe models, a complete 360-degree video, and angles of the helmet that I've never seen before, also, a CLEAR shot of the suit... And that's just C.L.U., There's more for others... Like for example there's the interface for the Nokia when it unlocked stuff, or 360-degree shots of every type of light-cycle, or really, nearly every vehicle... There's even a lot of behind the scenes video.

Here's the profile shot showing the C.L.U. costume clearly!!! (click for larger)

Here's the HELMET!!! (click for much larger PNG)

And here's a 360-degree video of the whole costume. (It's WMV, I used Windows Movie Maker to convert the 200 or so images into a video.)

I think that's a pretty awesome find. Thanks joshuatw!

Last edited:

Looks great. Where did you get the jacket?

O_O

I have stumbled across something epic... joshuatw posted the source images from the iPad second screen app... THERE IS SO MUCH UNRELEASED STUFF IN THERE!!! Just of C.L.U. I found wireframe models, a complete 360-degree video, and angles of the helmet that I've never seen before, also, a CLEAR shot of the suit... And that's just C.L.U., There's more for others... Like for example there's the interface for the Nokia when it unlocked stuff, or 360-degree shots of every type of light-cycle, or really, nearly every vehicle... There's even a lot of behind the scenes video.

Here's the profile shot showing the C.L.U. costume clearly!!! (click for larger)

Here's the HELMET!!! (click for much larger PNG)

And here's a 360-degree video of the whole costume. (It's WMV, I used Windows Movie Maker to convert the 200 or so images into a video.)

I think that's a pretty awesome find. Thanks joshuatw!

Epic find. I too plan to do a clu helmet. But a much cheaper route. With heavy gauge wires to form the shape, and cover it with shiny fabric. Having fiber glass would be cool and all, but too expensive.

For those who've done the clu a shout out to ya.

Epic find. I too plan to do a clu helmet. But a much cheaper route. With heavy gauge wires to form the shape, and cover it with shiny fabric. Having fiber glass would be cool and all, but too expensive.

For those who've done the clu a shout out to ya.

Oh, I'm not fiberglassing. I'm sculpting the helmet, but then I'm using it to help shape thin clear cutouts of plastic sheeting with a portable heater, which I will then glue together, coat in clear-coat until it's edges are smooth, and tint with window tinter, (and probably clear-coat again to shine and protect.) I'm then attaching it to a sanded-down bike helmet so I can wear it comfortably.

I don't know how to fiberglass, and I don't know where I can easily vaccu-form it, so it's the easiest and only way to give it the movie-look for me. Also, two sheets of thin clear plastic, (one's enough, but two just in case,) is $17 at my local craft store. (It's for lazer cutting or whatever.) The window-tint and clear-coat are $20, (and that gives me enough for a few helmets...) Not really expensive for something that will look the part.

Does the plastic you're using have a specific name and what store are you finding it at? I haven't been able to find anything like it around here, unless I'm looking in the wrong spots.

Does the plastic you're using have a specific name and what store are you finding it at? I haven't been able to find anything like it around here, unless I'm looking in the wrong spots.

Hmmm... I don't remember the name, but I assume you may have craft shops or what-not that have picture frames? Usually when you find picture frames you can also find numerous types of plastic sheets used in place of glass, some thick, some thin... Some a foot tall, some poster-sized. I would assume it's not that expensive, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, next week or so I'll be going back and I'll get the brand. It's a Maine craft store though, so it probably is of no use to you. I remember that a friend of mine used it to cover the side of a custom PC... He got a neon-ish transparent green, and it made a slight outward curve accross the computer. I'll be using the 1/8" clear sheets... 1/16" is too flimsy, and 3/16" is too thick to allow me to evenly heat it and manipulate it in time.

:)

You can probably find some online though if you are looking into doing it this way, but it may be a bit more expensive depending on where you get it. Just search "1/8" clear plastic sheet" or similar in google. I at one point in time tried to find already smokey colored sheets and didn't find any dark enough, all requiring me to tint them anyway, so I'm buying the cheaper clear. :D

These aren't a bad price... 18" x 24" at 1/8" thick is $11.25... Buying two would give you 3' x 4'... Similar to what I am getting in store... But shipping is $8... Bringing the grand total to about $30 USD. :-/

Last edited:
Looks fantastic! You better be bringing this to D*C this year, I'd love to see it in person, of course, along with your Siren costume :)

I sure am! and still gotta work on my Siren Gem. It is SOOOOO complicated that pattern. My seamstress friend is helping me, she is a pro pattern maker and she is even having trouble getting it right. Just too many odd angles. Then dealing with trying to rubberize it, what a mess that was. I am crossing my fingers I will have Siren Gem for D*Con! I SOOOOOO am itching to wear it!

I will be posting my SDCC Quorra pics as soon as I start getting some in. Here is one for now.

98emtv.jpg

Looks great Annisse!

Yes, please let me know if it works out. I really hate that the strips are all pink in the daylight. Sunlight is just too strong over the lighted Lite Tape strips. If I can get rid of the pink phosper by covering them up I can wear my Quorra costume in the day time as Conventions. The lighting may not show up but as long as the strips are not showing pink it is not so bad. I missed showing my costume off the entire convention and only wore it just as the sun set, it was perfect, everyone was tripping out and amazed at my costume but, I missed out on getting any coverage walking around inside CON.

Nice Nice excellent work! Now, how did you power the shoes? Was there a battery in each shoe? Or wiring all the way up your legs to the jacket to power them? That is how I powered my Quorra boot right side leg light.

Last edited:
Nice Nice excellent work! Now, how did you power the shoes? Was there a battery in each shoe? Or wiring all the way up your legs to the jacket to power them? That is how I powered my Quorra boot right side leg light.

Yeah, each shoe EL strip is powered by a separate 9 volt inverter hidden in each pants pocket, with an extension wire running up the pant leg. Thanks again for the compliments!

Also, a bit off topic, but my girlfriend is going as "Real-world Quorra" from the end of Legacy for Halloween, and I have to tell you, your blog and pictures have saved us tons of headaches in constructing her costume. Thanks again!, Annisse! :D

Hmmm... I don't remember the name, but I assume you may have craft shops or what-not that have picture frames? Usually when you find picture frames you can also find numerous types of plastic sheets used in place of glass, some thick, some thin... Some a foot tall, some poster-sized. I would assume it's not that expensive, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, next week or so I'll be going back and I'll get the brand. It's a Maine craft store though, so it probably is of no use to you. I remember that a friend of mine used it to cover the side of a custom PC... He got a neon-ish transparent green, and it made a slight outward curve accross the computer. I'll be using the 1/8" clear sheets... 1/16" is too flimsy, and 3/16" is too thick to allow me to evenly heat it and manipulate it in time.

You can probably find some online though if you are looking into doing it this way, but it may be a bit more expensive depending on where you get it. Just search "1/8" clear plastic sheet" or similar in google. I at one point in time tried to find already smokey colored sheets and didn't find any dark enough, all requiring me to tint them anyway, so I'm buying the cheaper clear. :D

These aren't a bad price... 18" x 24" at 1/8" thick is $11.25... Buying two would give you 3' x 4'... Similar to what I am getting in store... But shipping is $8... Bringing the grand total to about $30 USD. :-/
Ahh yeah I didn't think to check the framing department. Thanks. I have a joanns, michaels, and hobby lobby near me so I can probably find something there. If not, I'll go with this stuff. They have different thicknesses, but the .020 (1/32") should work for what I want to do with it. I'm doing my build differently so 1/8" would be too rigid. I may grab some styrene from there too and use that on the sides and just leave the clear for the visor and light element. We shall see.

Anyone doing the El wire diffusion method:
What material works best for the top layer?
I've heard shower curtain, but all the ones I've found seem
to be too clear, and not opaque enough...
HELP PLEASE!!!

Greetings all. So I need help from someone who has played the neoprene sheet armor method game.

I essentially am planning to use a 1/4" Neoprene soft sheet to create an armor like base that would be something I can mount my LED strips to underneath, with holes cut out for the light distribution. Cutting and mounting is no problem, but how do you get the neoprene to fold together to make something you can wear? Do you need a special glue to attach velcro to the stuff? I have a small sample of what I want to use, but its rather slick and strange in texture. I have until 9/10 to finish this costume, got everything except the sheets so I want to make sure I get the right ones or know how to do it before blowing some money on it (stuff is expensive, 36"x60" for $20 a foot). Thanks!

Anyone doing the El wire diffusion method:
What material works best for the top layer?
I've heard shower curtain, but all the ones I've found seem
to be too clear, and not opaque enough...
HELP PLEASE!!!

I tried the shower curtain method. I actually sanded it to make it more opaque and that sort of worked. I used 2 layers of sanded shower curtain and it diffused it pretty well, but my EL wire wasn't bright enough. I'm not sure how much brighter there is out there, but it seems like there are people that have had good luck with the shower curtain. I can barely see it when there's a light on in the room. I feel like EL wire is mainly useful if you want to see it direct. If it was bright enough to see through a diffuser of some sort, it would be very very bright if it wasn't behind a diffuser.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back