Tron Legacy Costume

Anyone out there doing a clu, rinzler, or quorra helmet should checkout propzone.be
they have pepakura files for them.

They are nice, but the C.L.U. helmet looks rather... Wrong. The free one posted a few above is leaps ahead of it, yet is nearly not as detailed/correct as pepakura's for other things, like star wars helmets.

:-/

The Rinzler helmet there doesn't look that bad though, but, it is much simpler.

Hey Yangxiaobo, where did you get the shirt for your Rinzler?
Thanks bud!

It's a paintball chest protector made by planet eclipse. The only problem is that there is a huge logo on the stomach area that I had to cover.

Btw guys, I got the pepakura Rinzler helmet from propzone awhile back, and I was disappointed by it. From the side it looks fine, but when viewed from the front the shape is quite off. That's why I ditched that idea and went for the bike helmet method.

My light weight disk is coming along great! I used my deluxe disk as a base, pretty much.
What you need:
Large sheet of craft foam. 1.50-2.00
Hodge poge(optional) around 6.00
Craft paint (optional) 2.00
Plasti Dip 6.00
Card board 0.00
Reflective tape 2.50 (at wal-mart)

Glue (I used e-6000) 6.00-12.00(mattering where you get it.)

Pie tins (already had)

Steamer (already had)

clothing pins(already had) http://planetgreen.discovery.com/green-guides/laundry/Clothes-Pins-On-Clothes-Line-Apartment-Photo.jpg

I followed the basic outline of my disk. Cut it out of the foam sheet and gently bend it at first. Then I took a pie tin. Place it in between 2 pie tins and pressed down for a few minutes. Then I placed it under a heavy box for almost a full day.
After that I took the top pie tin off and applied steam to the foam. Steam makes it SUPER soft and easy to bend.
I steamed for about 10 minutes max. Then placed the top pie tin on it again. Pressed down for a minute, then apply clothing pins on the edges.
Then I put it in the freezer for a minute. After that I took it out and hodge pog it(optional) to give it some extra strength. Waited till try and placed back in pie tins. Only issue I had with this is that hodge pog wants to stick to EVERYTHING! It stuck to the table(for some reason) and dulled away the black foam.

Put the cardboard inside the foam, glue, and press down for 60 seconds.

Here is where I painted the disk with craft paint. It made it stronger and returned the black color.
I still have to plasti dip it. But I know it will give it more strength once I do.
Note: There are 2 parts. This is the back park of the disk. So, pretty much do everything I listed twice. Once done, glue the two parts together and apply tape.

Pics so far:
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Looks great. Are you going to sandwich a white sheet in between for the blade?
I was thinking of making a pep file for the disk so there would be no bending involved. But that's a project in itself. I know cad, but not pep. It would have been better to have a minature disk for my son's costume instead of the shoulder wide deluxe disk he's going to use now. But if it doesn't light up he wont be happy.

Looks great. Are you going to sandwich a white sheet in between for the blade?
I was thinking of making a pep file for the disk so there would be no bending involved. But that's a project in itself. I know cad, but not pep. It would have been better to have a minature disk for my son's costume instead of the shoulder wide deluxe disk he's going to use now. But if it doesn't light up he wont be happy.

I was going to either just keep it blank. Like a wear only disk. Or put reflective tape on the edge.
I don't have any money at the time for more el-wire. So, this is all on a budget.

All I can think of is el-wire or LEDs for your son's disk. And put something strong around them(lights) for protection.

Siren suit progress....

Hi all,

Haven't had time to post my progress regarding the making of my Siren costume due to the fact it caused nothing but problems sewing it with the fabric rubberized.

Just wanted to give some pointers for anyone wanting to attempt to make the suits.

1. DO NOT please DO NOT rubberize your fabric and try to sew it. When you turn the fabric inside out to sew, it gets all stuck on itself and becomes impossible to get any of your pattern lines straight. I can't even believe I went thru sewing up half side of the suit in this condition. I was determined and in the end, disappointed. It was not up to my standards, looked like crap when I tore the fabric apart to get it to turn right side out. All the silver latex stuck to the white pattern pieces and the silver latex coated parts just got all pulled off the from the suit, looks like I wore the damn thing 50 times already. It was a mess.

2. DO NOT use liquid latex. Use slip casting latex and you can color it with acrylic paint to get your silver and white colors to paint onto the suit. With the slip cast type latex, I noticed little to no sticking of the fabric together unlike the liquid latex, everything stuck to itself. They did say for the movie Siren suits they used Ballon Rubber. Slip latex is used to make ballons or surgical latex gloves. I wish I would have realized this before I bought all that liquid latex.

3. Use a foam brush or spray gun with a powerful compressor, like one used to paint cars, houses and the like.

4. Get a plain white unitard, long arms, legs and high collar turtleneck and have a friend draw all the pattern shapes on you. From that, you will get your pattern pieces, add the seam allowance then sew up your suit.

5. Sew up the entire suit 1st then rubberize it afterwards and you have to be wearing the suit to rubberize the material, you have to have someone help paint it on you or spray gun the latex on you.

These are just a few tips to save you from the nightmare I went threw. It totally wasted my time but, it was a lesson learned from never dealing with sewing up rubberized fabric.
Since dealing with all this mess has now made me run out of time to finish my Siren Gem suit in time for SDCC, for now, I am sewing a white unitard, having a friend draw the shapes on it, then we are taping off all the white areas and will spray gun the silver parts onto the suit. This is the only alternative due to time constraints. She is doing the same to her Siren suit. We just really want to be Sirens for SDCC!

I will post pics later of everything that went wrong so you can see what I mean and hopefully our new suits when they are completed. Just has to be after SDCC. Too busy right now trying to finish everything. There are some photos of my 1st Siren suit gone wrong on my FB profile if you wanna see.

Last edited:
I went ahead and put together the Clu helmet pep file. As previously said, it's not 100% accurate, namely around the sides and back, but it's not too horrible. This was the first time I've put together a pep of this size and intricacy so some of the pieces are a teeny bit misaligned, but I'm assuming that's mostly due to the order in which I assembled them. For gauging size and shape however, it works fine. My tailor's tape measure seems to have grown legs so I couldn't take an exact measurement, but the helmet is quite large if printed with no scaling. It doesn't really look like it in the pictures, but the chin part of it hits my collarbone and I don't have a small head.

Hi Icey yeah I think the pep version will do in a pinch (not screen accurate)but if you say you don't have a small head and it looks like that it definitely needs to be scaled, I was going to make it my next pep but I do have a small head, if I don't scale I'll look like a bobble head :)

Good advice for everybody! How much cast latex did you use? I'm guessing since its sprayed on you only need about a quart or so?

Have to get back to you on that one. I have yet to paint my pattern lines in with the silver casting latex mixture. Still testing it to see if it will keep an even shade on the fabric. I will be shocked if I can pull this off by SDCC Thursday when I am suppossed to wear Sirens for the 1st time with my friend Kit.

Hi Icey yeah I think the pep version will do in a pinch (not screen accurate)but if you say you don't have a small head and it looks like that it definitely needs to be scaled, I was going to make it my next pep but I do have a small head, if I don't scale I'll look like a bobble head :)

Ha... It's the PERFECT size for me, but I'm 6'4"... And, I have rather long hair that's not exactly brushed back... (But with my helmet I'm going to be using a sanded-down bike helmet as the base/inside, so it is indeed the perfect size for me...) The person who played C.L.U. was about 6'1" so I think the Pepakura one is at least a similar size to the screen version....

I made it just to see if it may make sizing mine easier, and it surely has. I'm not using it to make mine though, so I just used crappy copy paper. :D

ndsv7q.jpg

factco.jpg

It is cool nonetheless... Even though it's not exactly "screen accurate," it's the closest pepakura I've seen, at least in terms of shape.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm only 5'7" and female, so it's a bit big for me. I'll probably use some of the pep pieces as a base and modify them to be more accurate and fit the base I'm using.

It's a shame but I am not gonna have my Siren Gem costume made on time to wear to Comic Con :( really disappointed. My friend and I put so much effort to make them happen and it just was not working out due to lack of time at this point. We don't want to be Sloppy Sirens as my friend put it :p LOL! We want to make them right and have a good friend of mine customizing the pattern for us now so it will be ready to work on after Comic Con. So, we will definitely be debuting our Siren costumes at Dragon Con. At least our shoes and discs are 90% finished.

My Quorra new lighting is complete so I will definitely be wearing my Quorra costume at Comic Con this coming Saturday evening. I plan to be at the Masquerade press photo stage area outside Ballroom 20 to take photos around 6-7pm. Hope to see many other Tron fans there! ;D

My Quorra new lighting is complete so I will definitely be wearing my Quorra costume at Comic Con this coming Saturday evening. I plan to be at the Masquerade press photo stage area outside Ballroom 20 to take photos around 6-7pm. Hope to see many other Tron fans there! ;D
:thumbsup Looking forward to some photos and video (?) demonstrating the LF EL tape in action!

I modified the circuit for my light disk, and the running lights now work at low voltage. I am slowly getting everything fitted, but still need to order the small DP3T switch to operate the disk. [strike]I did find a reed switch locally that should work to initialize the disk when it is placed on the mounting bracket.[/strike] (Reed switch is not switching off properly, will have to find another one) I will add a new video when that is working.

My disk mounting bracket was carved out of basswood.
diskw.jpg

Then dyed black to hide the wood in case the paint were to chip
diskd.jpg

Painted
disk.jpg

There are washers for magnets screwed into the back of the mounting bracket so I can attach it to any jacket.

I also just placed my order with Luminous Film so I can get around to working on a young Kevin Flynn style jacket.

Here is the close (ish) jacket I found. I am going to try to mount everything with magnets so I can swap out jackets later if I want.
jacket1.jpg

Last edited:
Just wanted to post a couple photos of the front and back of my 3rd and final revision to my Quorra costume. Here it is with its new lite tape El Panel in white from Luminous Film. No time to get into now but, it was a complete B*TCH to work with. Well, because I had no idea how critical the install had to go.

I will be posting back after Comic Con exactly what to do and what not to do to get this lite tape to work properly. All lights are on stable now, I have not worn it so I cannot report my final results wearing this suit of lights until after Comic Con. I barely finished the install last night after many days and sleepless nights, it is complete.

I will be debuting my costume this Saturday at the San Diego Comic Con International in the evening around 6pm. The Pink off phosphor tape still looks Pink even when on in bright day light. If I wear this thing in the day time at Con, you are going to see a bunch of pics of me online of the suit lights looking Pink! LOL! I do not want that because I am sure I will be many ppl not understanding why the lite tape is pink due to the phosphor coating. My suit looks incredible at night and so bright white! I love the way it came out!

My outer ID disc ring lights are weak. Only have the original LEDs in there at the moment that came with the disc. I need to add an SMD LED strip in white to enhance Soulenertia's clear disc ring mod I ordered. No time to do it now. It's amazing how long a costume like this takes to put together.

Anyone else going to SDCC this weekend please look for me, I will be making my way around 6pm to the Masquerade press photo stage area outside of Ballroom 20. I take my costume photos there every year even though I do not enter the Masquerade costume contest. 8000 + ppl starring at me on stage expecting me to entertain them, flat out scares me :p plus, you have to spend most of Sat. waiting behind stage for your turn to go on. I have much more fun socializing with the other cosplayers and taking photos than waiting backstage to try and win a costume contest ;)

34zylwn.jpg

szdc9k.jpg

Looks fantastic! You better be bringing this to D*C this year, I'd love to see it in person, of course, along with your Siren costume :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back