Tron Legacy Costume

Awesome Annisse! I actually made a little tester strip with some spandex I had at home and found that it is probably best to coat it first and then sew it. I know what you mean about the weave separating a bit but I might just be fine with that. I don't know. I feel like I'd prefer it to still have that stretch with a bit of texture as opposed to very little stretch but super smooth. I guess that's why I was hoping that maybe miliskin is smoother and not as porous as normal spandex so that the latex when stretched wouldn't seem to separate as much. I'd definitely love to see how your fabric came out so I sent a friend request!

I know I should start soon on this costume but I'm just so bogged down by the latex and all those panels to cut out and put together to create the color blocking in the jumpsuit.....I usually work better under stress lol so maybe I'll wait 2 days before the con and just slam it together hahahaha!

I got a test sample of the miliskin from that website awhile ago, it was a nice texture, but felt so flimsy and thin compared to the regular spandex which is what I am using.

Yeah, I work better on pressure too and am doing that now as a matter of fact, trying to finish 4 costumes before SDCC. HA! good luck to me ;) I've done it before and will do it again!!

hello everyone! I've been following this thread since before TRON: Legacy came out and everyone's posts have been a great help with my costume. thank you very much!

However, my first post comes as an ask for help... I've gotten my Rinzler helmet shaped as close to the original as I think I can for now. I started similarly to APV. This is a backwards bicycle helmet, a skateboarding helmet and a TON of bondo. I sanded down the foam in the helmets to get them shaped correctly and used pins/toothpicks/super glue/ bondo to get them together.

The problem is now I can't figure out how cover the holes and allow myself to still be able to see. I was originally going to heat up some plastic sheets and shape them to fit over it, but the foam might melt. The next idea was to plug up the holes from the inside (so the plugs are removable) and then use liquid casting acrylic to make a film over the top. Either method would end by tinting the plastic with VHT nightshade (or a better tinting method would be greatly appreciated)

If it helps to know, I see out of the front 4 holes near the bottom.

DSC_3985.jpg

DSC_3983.jpg

DSC_3982.jpg

DSC_3979.jpg

And here's my suit just for fun :lol Still need to remove that logo, add the "T" symbol at the chest and add some leg armor though (my legs are just bare lycra :sick )

Snapshot_20110628.jpg

Tried out the staple method again to get my angles in the Luminous Film lite tape and it worked!

One staple on either side of the scribe line does it. Posted some photos to see.

Thanks for your advice and especially RPF user Sheol that mentioned this method.

Now let's hope my stapling job doesn't pop out will carry a mini stapler with me when wearing the costume HA! :lol

I even found this special stapler with tiny staples so you won't have regular sized staples on your lite tape. They are 1/4" across the crown of the staple.

Donna Downey Studios*::*Project Supplies*::*tiny attacher stapler

I don't know if anyone has brought this up in the past few months, since I've dropped outta here while working on costumes:

You Sirens out there realize that the shoe that was on the touring display is completely different than the movie shoe:

TRON_LEGACY_CLIPS_2.jpg

Tron-Legacy-Gem-Siren-poster-costume-Shoe-Blog-ShoeTease.jpg

The display one is clearly the 9 West shoe molded with another, yet the movie shoe looks like a simply white platform pump with a piece between the sole and heel.

Might be an easier way of looking at the shoe, than hunting down that hard to find 9 West slide!

I think I'm going to give a T:L costume a go for new york in October. I want to do the long coat wearing guy that Sam trades the bike to...anyone know who that guy is? Long coat, red lights, cool hood on the coat.

I don't know if anyone has brought this up in the past few months, since I've dropped outta here while working on costumes:

You Sirens out there realize that the shoe that was on the touring display is completely different than the movie shoe.

The display one is clearly the 9 West shoe molded with another, yet the movie shoe looks like a simply white platform pump with a piece between the sole and heel.

Might be an easier way of looking at the shoe, than hunting down that hard to find 9 West slide!

Well, in that screenshot both styles of shoes are there. Gem just wears the regular shoes with a piece between the sole and the heel, and so does the one directly across from her, yet the other two have similar shoes to the 9 West shoes. So either one is fine unless you want to be exclusively Gem. I would think that the 9 West style would probably be better actually, because if there's something like a tiny pebble or a wire or such and you step on it inbetween the sole and the heel, it may bend it or break if you are wearing Gem's style of shoe.

I am sure for the Siren costumes made for the movie, they made all those patterns in a computer to their exact measurements, but who knows exactly how they got that fabric rubberized. I have a friend I can talk to that worked on the movie, not sure if she will reveal anything to me about this but I am gonna ask, I have been meaning too. I asked how the Quorra suit was made last year before I started mine and she never got back to me.

I watched some of the behind the scenes stuff for costume design, there's a bit of Gem and putting her costume on. Seems like it's all one piece... At least, the electronics and latex. I don't think it changes anything, but it is interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB00v5Mqvqc At 7:40 in this video you see it.

Last edited:
I got the nine west display ones and knew they were a different style cut out wedge from the get go.

I searched high and low for regular platform shoes to mod. But with what.

To run the risk of building up the cut out wedge onto a regular shoe heel with having all my weight walking in them all day and the wedge part doesn't fall apart is a risk I don't want to take.

So, I got the Nine West one. Found some cheap $10 buck closed toe RED shoes at a thrift store and Frankenstein'd them to the wedge of the nine west shoes. Now. They are ready for their paint job.

I will post a pic later.

You Sirens out there realize that the shoe that was on the touring display is completely different than the movie shoe:

TRON_LEGACY_CLIPS_2.jpg

Tron-Legacy-Gem-Siren-poster-costume-Shoe-Blog-ShoeTease.jpg

From someone who made and wore BSG flightsuits in the middle of humid summer, I'd highly recommend if you guys at all can make an inner lining of sweat wicking material.

While I know the Sommers material for the BSG suit is a little thicker and heavier, let me tell you, wearing that costume is like wearing a hot tub that's been turned off. I lined my boyfriend's suit with a truncated inner liner of sweat wicking material (think shorts and a long sleeve shirt type thing) and my suit only had the wicking material down to the waist. In the span of 20 minutes or so, my legs are stuck to the suit. My boyfriend doesn't find it as bad and I've not heard anything from the guy who has the 3rd suit I made. Just putting it out there.

Thank you guys for all your hard work; your research is helping me make the long jackets with removable hoodies. Hopefully I will be able to find the right kind and flexibility in EL tape for this endeavour.

Did you use a repro leather jacket or go with a "close enough."

With a move and some appliance purchasing underway, I think I'm going to go the "cheap and cheerful" route for my jacket, maybe going for some kind of fleece-lined softshell in black and adding the LuminousFilm EL strips. Still doing some in-my-head planning.

Ha ha, went with the "close enough" look. I'm not a screen accurate hardcore follower, much as I try I let it be close enough to get the idea across. I just have an old Dockers leather jacket, works fairly well. Got some black boots, a pair of biker boots that are pretty close to what the movie used, and all the electronics for the light strips. I regret not making my front one longer, but it works so I'll call it good.

hello everyone! I've been following this thread since before TRON: Legacy came out and everyone's posts have been a great help with my costume. thank you very much!

However, my first post comes as an ask for help... I've gotten my Rinzler helmet shaped as close to the original as I think I can for now. I started similarly to APV. This is a backwards bicycle helmet, a skateboarding helmet and a TON of bondo. I sanded down the foam in the helmets to get them shaped correctly and used pins/toothpicks/super glue/ bondo to get them together.

The problem is now I can't figure out how cover the holes and allow myself to still be able to see. I was originally going to heat up some plastic sheets and shape them to fit over it, but the foam might melt. The next idea was to plug up the holes from the inside (so the plugs are removable) and then use liquid casting acrylic to make a film over the top. Either method would end by tinting the plastic with VHT nightshade (or a better tinting method would be greatly appreciated)

If it helps to know, I see out of the front 4 holes near the bottom.

Oh, I'm sculpting my C.L.U. helmet SEPERATELY from my actual base helmet, and then I'm creating a plastic shell from the one I sculpted, and putting it on the sanded down bike helmet.

To help wiith your question, I don't know how to fill in the holes. I don't even do bondo.... My best suggestion is to get a kit to fix a hole in a wall and fill on those spaces, eventually sanding them out, or just apply the bondo along the inside edge of the holes and keep layering it until it's filled in and then sand it smooth. I don't know any other way. I also don't know of any way to make it look like black plastic though, other than using black plastic. :-/

BTW, nice suit.

Now let's hope my stapling job doesn't pop out will carry a mini stapler with me when wearing the costume HA! :lol
As long as you minimize any flexing of the EL strip or pulling of the wire near the staple connections, you should be all set. Maybe use a drop of hot glue on the back side to help strengthen and protect the connection.

Ha ha, went with the "close enough" look. I'm not a screen accurate hardcore follower, much as I try I let it be close enough to get the idea across. I just have an old Dockers leather jacket, works fairly well. Got some black boots, a pair of biker boots that are pretty close to what the movie used, and all the electronics for the light strips. I regret not making my front one longer, but it works so I'll call it good.
I hear ya. I think the big glowing strip on the jacket makes the case, but a little part of me also wants to be totally SA.

Work is going to be crazy for the next couple of months, so I have time to think about it.

For the past several weeks, I have been watching this thread and have more or less wanted to start my own Tron: 2010 Costume as well.
I have already modified the toy Identity Disc with LED's and I am now in the process of creating the back mounting base to hold the disc secure yet easily removable. Below is a web page showing my progress:

It's a combination of 1/2" foam, clear epoxy resin (two part mix) and liquid rubber. I think it turned out pretty well for my first attempt.
It can now be added to the costume backing hardware.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca5/oldman562/tron_disc_base.html

img0779sm.jpg

propmaster2000

My husband and I are going to do TRON for Halloween this year. We are doing the Gem/Castor duo. We still need out discs and I think yours came out fabulous! Did you just buy the kids toy? Where did you get it? Because ours are white and are hard to find, we were going to get the black one and paint them with white Plasti Dip spray (see link below).
Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Synthetic Rubber Dip Coating
I did see your link with pictures of your foam base. Would you mind giving me more specific instructions on how to create that and how you attached it to the costume? We are going to re-wire the disc with EL wire and velcro it to the base. How did you attach yours? I appreciate your help!

Hey everyone! I'm not new to costuming, but I AM new to these forums and EL wire working. I figured this would be the best place to post a few of my questions.

I'm in the process of making a Siren costume for my self, and a program costume for my boyfriend, but I have a few questions about EL wiring.

We will be re-wiring the toy light up disks with EL wire, but we also want our suits to be completely lit with the wire as well. I had a few ideas on how to go about wiring the whole thing, but I don't know how to efficiently hide all the excess wire.
5316145611_7de5c43159_b.jpg
5316145611_7de5c43159_b.jpg
5316145611_7de5c43159_z.jpg

So my questions are:

What would be the best way to go about wiring a Siren suit?

A. Should I just run up the excess, lit, EL wire through the suit, some how covering it up?

or B. Should I cut up the wire and solder it to back to the male end of the inverter wire?

If I do option B., how can I run all that EL wire through one battery pack? Is there a place to purchase some really long inverter wire for all the different sections?

I'm sure these are probably simple questions for some of you...but as I said, this is my first time working with this material. I'm apprehensive and excited all at once!

Hi! I am doing this costume as well for this year! Not sure if you completed yours yet, as this post was back in January. I got some wire from High-Bright EL wire kits from $0.98/ft. in 10 colors. They have a large selection of inverters, you can order the wire by the foot, and you can order splitters to connect up to 5 wires to one inverter. I have not started to wire mine yet, but here is my thought: I will sew a white stretch mesh material onto the costume where the lights should go creating a "sleeve" to feed the wire into. I was thinking of putting a solid material on the parts of the sleeve that should not be lit up since it will be hard to determine where it will fall on your body before you feed it into the sleeve. This way if the blocked out parts are sewn in to the costume, it will be precise. Use white material where it's white or silver where it's silver. If you have done it already, please share what you did. Thanks!

I am starting with the helmet, as it will take a few months for sure, and will finish the rest of the costume by NEXT halloween... That won't stop me from attempting to shop at a supermarket while wearing it... To test it out of course... :D

I am going to make it look nearly exactly like it does on screen, except dense foam instead of rubber, because it's lighter, and cheaper. I have, however, noticed that may costumes are done in big single pieces of foam... While some look awesome, it makes sense to me to do every different panel seperately, for mobility's sake, as well as not looking like a robot when moving. I expect to spend $145 on the whole thing. The most expensive thing being the lighting system, $85 for the wire and seperate power packs. With the helmet, hand-done hexagon texture, ID Disc from scratch, wiring the whole thing... My timeline to have it done for NEXT halloween, (18 months,) seems reasonable. When I start making progress on the helmet I will post pictures, and when I start to make the suit and disc, I will post my exact plans, body armor shell layouts, EL wire layouts, and everything else, as well as pictures, here for everybody to see.

BTW this is my first time attempting something like this, but, I really think I can do it. I mean, I really want to. Also, I finally registered, yet have been looking at some of these awesome projects for a long time. Hello everyone! Sorry for the wall-of-text and no pictures... Those will come soon enough.

That's basically my approach and background, too... my goal is also for Halloween of 2012, since I figure that a Tron Legacy costume is one of the more difficult undertakings in the costuming world, and it's also my first project (aside from sewing a few things here and there). Good luck to us both, but we've got time to do it right.

Solar

That's basically my approach and background, too... my goal is also for Halloween of 2012, since I figure that a Tron Legacy costume is one of the more difficult undertakings in the costuming world, and it's also my first project (aside from sewing a few things here and there). Good luck to us both, but we've got time to do it right.

Solar

Well my goal isn't just Halloween anymore... I am going to college in a few months for video production, and I need to have a side-project to do in my free time. While I have plans to also shoot some sort of spy movie, I'm also thinking, some sort of 3-part series or whatnot with 30-minute episodes... Tron: Resurrection.

Anyway, Sam Flynn introduces the chip containing the computer world to his Encom mainframe-connected computer to study it, the world along with a "save-state" of C.L.U. is introduced to the network, and all of Encoms products. Tron/Rinzler never died, he swam up onto shore a good person. C.L.U. finds his way into a chip sent out to an industrial designer that's modeling a new memorial in some state for something important, and this pre-release encom technology based off of the tron world allows him to do whatever they want. Anyway, C.L.U. uses this person's "master key" (like Kevins disc in the movie) to escape, taking over the persons body, in full costume, and with all of the weapons, like the disc. (This was never explained in the film, whatever happened to the new suits and discs and such... In my opinion, they kept them.) Anyway, C.L.U. tries to get his new army out. (as a save state he was able to trick many programs into being refurbished.) Tron/Rinzler is also here, but he decides to take a body of a brain-dead person about to be taken off of the machine and cremated. The doctors are stupid and think someone had already taken care of it when the body isn't there. (BTW if that's confusing, the medical equipment like the neuro-scanner, is running encom OS. So... It works out some way I have yet to figure.) Anyway, Sam and quorra do stuff. There are battles. C.L.U. gets to use his laser katana, etc. It will be awesome. I also have an epic finale idea, which will span about the last 10 minutes of the last episode back in the computer world. Much coolness ensues..

I wrote that on my iPod last night. It's completely rough and cluttered, but it will be worth it. All of that up there except the last few lines essentially details the first episode. Plus, it gives me more use for the costume as I'm actually never able to go to those amazing cons... I'll need to make a Rinzler suit as well, but that will be a lot cheaper, as I won't need 40' of wire and $60 in battery packs... I'll have to do it once I have an actor down for it though, because who knows, Rinzler's actor may not be 6'4" like me... (Jeff bridges is 6'1" so I'm not that far off with my C.L.U. costume at least...) For every part that C.L.U. isn't on screen, I will be manning the cameras. :D I'm going to be around $25k+ cameras all of the time, and can rent them out anytime I want, so I am rather excited... They actually just got a RED ONE, which would be cool to use.... I'd rather use one that had great slow-motion though... ;)

But, I have well over a year to finalize some sort of script and screenplay sort of deal, so I'm not worried. I'll have to release a bunch of tiny preview and featurette videos first though, because I'll need to get rid of the 15 minute limit... Unless, I split it up into six 15-minute episodes..... Either way, it will be 1080p and on Youtube for everyone to see. If disney decides to be horrible and removes it from youtube, there are many other sites I can upload too, or I can just post the files themselves on forums if it has to come down to that.

Last edited:
Your costume looks fantastic! And you've got a really good face for Quorra (Truth be told, I think your wig looks fine.) I really love the thickness of your lights. Wait...that's EL wire?! It looks thick like EL tape! Where did you get it?

Thanks for the earlier compliments on my look, I appreciate it! I've decided on doing both, but with a twist. With Quorra I plan to go as accurate as I possibly can (so I'll be watching you and all your successes & failures Annisse! :D). With the siren I'm wanting to do more of a performance costume, something that I can dance in. I do hooping and I'd like to do some LED hoop performances in the Siren costume. So for me mobility will be key.

I love the hoops! How did you do the LED lighting inside? My husband is going as Castor/Zues and I as GEM Siren this year and we ordered a clear cane for him, but I am trying to figure out how to light it up. I would use EL Wire, but the inverter would be too large. Any help would be appreciated :)

I love the hoops! How did you do the LED lighting inside? My husband is going as Castor/Zues and I as GEM Siren this year and we ordered a clear cane for him, but I am trying to figure out how to light it up. I would use EL Wire, but the inverter would be too large. Any help would be appreciated :)

If the clear cane looks anything like the one in the film, there's a metal handle on it, with what I would assume houses the exact same thing as a tiny 8-LED flashlight, to light the cane. If it doesn't have that type of bent handle, then I don't know how you'd light it. :-/

This one is nearly identical, a very good replica.

Tron: Legacy (2010), Castor Cane, other replicas

Hey everyone! First time poster AND first time builder.

I want to make a good Quorra costume and the torso part is my biggest concern (maybe until I decide to try wiring it up instead of reflective tape lol). Does anyone have info on how to assemble a form-fitting soft "armor" torso for women? Any link to processes, patterns or cutouts that I can modify to fit me?

Best if EVA foam since it's what I'm somewhat familiar with. Better suggestion of materials totally welcome. Humbly here to learn! :)

Last edited:
Alright so I went to day one of AM2 convention in anaheim. only saw less than 100 people. waaste of 12 dollar parking. But tomorrow I will be in full Tron force at Anime Expo with pics to boot. I finished my katana for those who are interested (sorry for the crappy picture I don't have a legit camera so I used my phone)

Alright so I went to day one of AM2 convention in anaheim. only saw less than 100 people. waaste of 12 dollar parking. But tomorrow I will be in full Tron force at Anime Expo with pics to boot. I finished my katana for those who are interested (sorry for the crappy picture I don't have a legit camera so I used my phone)

Thank goodness you've informed us! By the way I found out the tron gathering is at 8, but where?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back