Tron Legacy Costume

Tron 3 Is Coming and So Am I - Topless Robot

Oh hell yeah!!
Okay time to waste money and get my costume to actually light up. Also the con went well. Found a couple of other Tron people, most were pretty bad. One guy did the Sam Flynn look, but did not use reflective tape or EL wire....so it looked bad. His pattern was good though. All the others were sub-par.

200181_1308393565248_1692862705_594473_6425009_n.jpg

If I read the info as given, looks like the MCP is not really the issue in TRON 3, but Dillinger himself (unless young Ed Dillinger - Cillian Murphy - calls the MCP 'Dad'!). I don't recall ever hearing about Edward Dillinger's fate after TRON, so is it possible, in order to save him and have a useful ally on hand, the MCP would have pulled Dillinger into the system by some method we were not made aware of after Tron's well placed strike at the heart of the program (the Return of Sark??)?

Time will tell.

Okay time to waste money and get my costume to actually light up. Also the con went well. Found a couple of other Tron people, most were pretty bad. One guy did the Sam Flynn look, but did not use reflective tape or EL wire....so it looked bad. His pattern was good though. All the others were sub-par.

Nothing better than being the best dressed TRON person in the con, huh? :)

Tron 3 Is Coming and So Am I - Topless Robot

Oh hell yeah!!

I was there on Friday. Good thing I put so much time/effort into my Helmet and Baton. Guess next time I won't put as much effort into it. I just thought it was good to see TRON get some representation at a local con from so many people.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but EL Tape inverters go by sq inches. So if I have a 1" x 6' strip and I did the math correctly, that would be 72 sq".

The A4 inverter powers and A4 sheet which is roughly 8.5" x 11.5" which would be 97.75". That one is the perfect size for what I need, and it should fit my power requirements with a little bit of room to spare, right?

I would still have to make/wire a battery pack to it too, right? So in my case I would go with a 12v rc car battery, I guess.

Last edited:
I was there on Friday. Good thing I put so much time/effort into my Helmet and Baton. Guess next time I won't put as much effort into it. I just thought it was good to see TRON get some representation at a local con from so many people.

I stand behind my grandmother's way of thinking:

"There is nothing wrong in being poor, only in dressing poorly."

If you are going to build a costume, build one worth wearing, even if all the schleps are looking like crap around you. :cool

Sorry did not mean to offend. Uhh which tron person were you lol. Everyone looked good....I just suffer from an "inflated" ego and a superiority complex.

Last edited:
Sorry did not mean to offend. Uhh which tron person were you lol.

I was the program with the Helmet with the "89 Forever" on the back. I was weilding 2 discs during our 3 program Disc Wars on Friday.

If you meant no offense, none taken, man. Just came off a little harsh in my opinion. We're just all trying to have a good time, and I think we succeeded.

Yeah we did....I am just sort of a jerk sometimes....ego issues I guess.

Also I think I may have found a affordable way of getting my self all lit up.
E-Luminates

Just a word of warning... I don't know if you saw this guy, but he did a really simple "Flynn Style" jacket with EL Tape, and the lighting in the Con Center just destroyed the effect of his tape. It was a POWO strip, and because of how bright it was, you could barely tell it was lit up.

Just keep in mind the lighting of wherever you plan on hitting with an updated jacket if you want to upgrade to EL wire/tape.

My first progress post!

I got most of the foam/armor cut for my suit done. Pretty impressive for only 2 half days of work. I have both my EL wire and LuminousFilm split electrode tape in. I will do more work on that later in the week.... for now... pictures!

Speaking of this week, I have to get most of my suit done this week, I feel I will be able to get the majority of it done this week, but it will be a fun week!

Tell me what you think

What did you use to cut your foam TF? I would imagine a simple $5 HotKnife could have been a bit smoother on that material, though hard to say without a sample on hand.

All in all, with the hub wire insert, body form, etc, I think that's a fine start for a first time concept suit.

Just a word of warning... I don't know if you saw this guy, but he did a really simple "Flynn Style" jacket with EL Tape, and the lighting in the Con Center just destroyed the effect of his tape. It was a POWO strip, and because of how bright it was, you could barely tell it was lit up.

Just keep in mind the lighting of wherever you plan on hitting with an updated jacket if you want to upgrade to EL wire/tape.

This is one reason why I went with GreenOn/GreenOff ELTape when I put my suit together. I know the horrors of bright lighting on a suit really meant more for nightclub situations (which luckily is where I use my TRON 1.5 suit most often).

What did you use to cut your foam TF? I would imagine a simple $5 HotKnife could have been a bit smoother on that material, though hard to say without a sample on hand.

All in all, with the hub wire insert, body form, etc, I think that's a fine start for a first time concept suit.

I used EVA(1/4" and 3/8" thick) foam, and I did a lot of looking for a hot knife, but I could only find like $50 ones on Amazon(I hate having to drive around town trying to find something) so I started by using a exacto knife, then realized I got a much cleaner edge with scissors so I am now using those unless I need greater accuracy.

I've found that scoring EVA foam with a ball point pen a few times gives a more accurate cut than with scissors alone. I can't vouch for the hot knife since I just have a hot wire cutter, but if you want to get one, I've seen them at Joann fabrics and Michaels for sure. They're usually with the wood and wood burning tools.

Greetings Programs!

I have finally decided to post here. I have been watching this thread for a while now, and I have decided that I am going to make a Kevin Flynn costume.

I specifically want to make the one with the robes (black) and coat. I would appreciate any good images of the costume, and or suggestions. I am looking to make the suit light up, and not just reflective.

Has anyone made this costume here yet? I have seen lots of posts about the other costumes, but not this one.

Thanks in advance!

Emanon

Greetings Programs!

I have finally decided to post here. I have been watching this thread for a while now, and I have decided that I am going to make a Kevin Flynn costume.

I specifically want to make the one with the robes (black) and coat. I would appreciate any good images of the costume, and or suggestions. I am looking to make the suit light up, and not just reflective.

Has anyone made this costume here yet? I have seen lots of posts about the other costumes, but not this one.
Thanks in advance!
Emanon

Some places to start:
-General TronLegacy Robes: http://www.therpf.com/f24/tron-legacy-robes-103497/
-A thread about making CLU's robe: http://www.therpf.com/f24/tron-legacy-clus-robe-104105/
-A good montage of robe reference pics: http://www.whatjanesays.com/files/flynn_black_master.jpg

Got my microcell foam in this morning. Not bad on the delivery time considering I ordered it on Friday afternoon and this was custom size sheet.

Forgive me it was early morning and I was in a rush to get to work. I'll have better photos later. It's exactly what I was looking for.

It feels like foam but it takes to bending and flexing well with wrinkling or tearing. I shall be experimenting more when I get home tonight.

I used EVA(1/4" and 3/8" thick) foam, and I did a lot of looking for a hot knife, but I could only find like $50 ones on Amazon(I hate having to drive around town trying to find something) so I started by using a exacto knife, then realized I got a much cleaner edge with scissors so I am now using those unless I need greater accuracy.

You can find them from $4-$15 (depending on seller and watt rating). I find that 25watts is more than hot enough to melt solder, as well as let your exacto blade easily swim right through and foam I have tested on thus far (as thick as 1in EVA).
Amazon.com: Hot Knife w/Solder Tip 25 Watt: Toys & Games

Last edited:
Got my microcell foam in this morning. Not bad on the delivery time considering I ordered it on Friday afternoon and this was custom size sheet.

Forgive me it was early morning and I was in a rush to get to work. I'll have better photos later. It's exactly what I was looking for.

It feels like foam but it takes to bending and flexing well with wrinkling or tearing. I shall be experimenting more when I get home tonight.
I got mine on Monday after work and I'm seconding how nice this stuff is. It's identical to the 1/4" stuff I posted about earlier, so I'm going to assume it has the same properties since I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

Also, if anyone is looking for decent screenshots, this site has a ton in decent res: TRON: Legacy - Movies Screencaps

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back